Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Shot a buck tonight at 150 yards. I heard the bullet hit him and at the shot he reared straight up on his hind legs almost flipping over. When he came down took off running dragging left leg. Ran into a nasty CRP patch no blood. Going back in the morning. What do you think of the shot ?

Kirk Furniss
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sounds like you should go get it tonight.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Sounds like you should go get it tonight.

We did look for a little while. The CRP he ran into is about 5 ft tall and with lights and such in the dark cant see crap .

Kirk Furniss
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
what gun did you shoot him with? was it a muzzle loader?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm used to them kicking the rear legs.

No blood sucks. I like a trail Stevie Wonder could follow.

That said, I'd be out right now looking. Coyotes gotta eat, but not my deer.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What is a CRP patch?? raising up on his hind legs sounds like a heart shot,, I have done many and they were always about 50 yds away..but never recalled any dragging their hing leg..I am sorry you dident say which leg he was dragging...

Last edited by Hubert; 12/27/20.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Sorry dragging his left front leg. CRP is ground that is planted switch grass. Conservation Reserve Program.

Kirk Furniss
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Hubert
what gun did you shoot him with? was it a muzzle loader?

Smokeless muzzleloader.

Kirk Furniss
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had the same shot on a Doe with a muzzle loader.. it was a heart shot that broke her right leg, through the heart and lodged under the skin on the far side.. on entry the bullet entered at the elbow broke her leg but went in where the skin was loose and no blood lost , then passed through the heart. all the blood stayed under the skin.. I tracked her for about 150 yds and found her dead.. mark each spot you found his track to establish a straight line for about 50 yds and follow that line and you will probably fall over him.. they run as straight as possible when heart shot .. I learned my tracking skills from an uncle that was part Indian trust me on this..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had the same shot on a Doe with a muzzle loader.. it was a heart shot that broke her right leg, through the heart and lodged under the skin on the far side.. on entry the bullet entered at the elbow broke her leg but went in where the skin was loose and no blood lost , then passed through the heart. all the blood stayed under the skin.. I tracked her for about 150 yds and found her dead.. mark each spot you found his track to establish a straight line for about 50 yds and follow that line and you will probably fall over him.. they run as straight as possible when heart shot .. I learned my tracking skills from an uncle that was part Indian trust me on this..

Doesn't take an Indian to know these very basic tracking skills but good advice nonetheless....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't got as much experience as some
Started hunting whitetail deer 45 years ago.
I've used gun and bow and muzzle loader.
In my experience, a human can't say for sure
what they'll do or where they'll go if they have
that keyed up adrenaline shot. I've had some
run 15 20 yards with their lungs turned to red
jello and a heart in pieces. I've shot em through
and through with an arrow,and they barely flinched
and walked about 4 more steps and just sank
to the ground. The ones I've had experience
with are totally unpredictable.
I'll say this- if I've got any blood I'll follow up
until I find it or I run out of daylight or flashlight
batteries or energy to carry on. I'm not feeding
the varmints any venison

Maybe you'll find it with no problems

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... I learned my tracking skills from an uncle that was part Indian trust me on this..

Damn that was funny!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was uncles name, 'Walking Eagle'?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Until they don't. 2nd buck shot this year was straight through the heart, he went straight for about 30 yards, then made a 90 degree right turn for 40 yards, then a hard left for 10 yards.

I've seen them do so many silly things the I refuse to have a staunch view on which way they should go. What I do know is if you know the shot is true, you will find them, but it can take some time.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
To me it does sound like a heart shot as well. You’ll find it. I’ve seen a lot of deer shot with a muzzle loader not leave much blood.

Last edited by tzone; 12/28/20.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve had the rear up when I’ve hit them high in the shoulder but under the spine, broken front leg and they lift it to run off, they normally don’t go far and die. Also shot one in the leg below the chest cavity and she reared up, I got another one in her and saw I’d essentially only broker her leg and that’s why she drug it. The answer is, you won’t know what happened till you find him. And every deer is different and reactions differ greatly from deer to deer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to tell, most hit hard will mule kick imo, although not the vast majority so could be a solid hit and you'll find it quickly. Could be a low hit as well and clipped the leg, those can go for miles. Hard telling but I'm hoping you find him quickly and easily and we see pics here in a little bit. Good luck!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And again, a perfect double lung 50 cal buck this year ran a perfect straight line for 100 yards and the only blood was the last 40 feet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bp72, Where's the pics?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a whitetail buck that was quartering away at about 80 yards that did the rear up on its hind legs and tip over backwards reaction thing. After about 5 seconds it jumped up and took off in the direction it had originally come from like nothing was wrong with it. I’m in the habit of reloading immediately after a shot just in case so I was prepared and hit him again and it dropped at the shot. 140 .277 Accubond @ 3k+. Both shots connected on heart/lung so #2 was likely unnecessary. I have no idea why that buck would rear up like a horse on a shot that came from a 210 degree angle behind it. My case study of one similar reaction says you heart shot it and will hopefully recover in daylight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.