Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
What's the furthest you've seen a deer make it with a truly mortal hit?
I hit an 8 point a decade ago through and through with a round nose 180 that ran flat out like a scalded cat for 150+ yards. My second shot caught him in the neck and he flipped end over end about 10 yards from a thicket. No telling how far he would have made it if I'd missed.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
300 yards 12ga Foster slug through the heart.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
3006 150 GMX ammo.......ran/stumbled and fell for 400+ yards it took three of us looking him for about 2 hrs. Blew his front leg off at the should joint, bullet split a few ribs, and exited his rear quarter. This was a direct broad-side shot that hit his shoulder joint directly which sent the bullet on that crazy path. Plenty of blood to follow, we’d see him he run fall and disappear.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little over 200 yards after taking a 270 shot from maybe ten yards that destroyed the heart and far shoulder.

As I prepared to shoot him again as he ran away, I saw blood GUSHING out both sides, and refrained from adding a Texas heart shot into the situation.

Stevie Wonder could've followed the blood trail.

He was a big, rather old, grey nosed buck.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
about 100 yards, which was about 25 too far since he practically ran into another guy who was hunting right above me behind a knoll. i shot, saw the deer do a jackass kick and take off over the knob and i about schit when i heard the boom. walked up and the deer was about 10 feet from where the guy was standing. my shot straight through the boiler room. his was straight on brisket/neck shot.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
200 yds after a subsonic 170 gr FP to the boiler room.

100 yds after a .243 100 gr NP, 150 yds after a .22-250 70 gr Speer. Both boiler room hits, no bone.

About 5 full minutes after a BRI sabot slug (1300 fps MV) to . Watched from a distance, had not shot, played the patient game.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
250 yards after putting a 12 gauge rifled slug through both lungs broadside from 30 yards. So much for the legendary "knockdown power" of big, heavy, large caliber slugs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Over a mile. Mule deer doe. She ded.

LOL
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have shot the heart out of deer with various cartridge/bullet, arrow/broadhead combinations and several have ran 100+ yards before expiring....They have a strong will to live and some are mighty tough, how far do you think you would run with your heart blown up by a bullet? Maybe a step or two at most 😁.......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
200 yards. Half rack Six pointer double lunged with a 180 round nose Core-Lokt from a 30-06

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i switched to front shoulder shots 90% of the time just to eliminate runs. doesn't always work, but usually.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
250 yards after putting a 12 gauge rifled slug through both lungs broadside from 30 yards. So much for the legendary "knockdown power" of big, heavy, large caliber slugs.

By far, the furthest tracking jobs I've been on were bucks shot through with Foster slugs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had a couple of deer go a 100 yds that were hit hard. I like to try and break bones when I shoot, trailing deer up sucks.

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
High lung shot a little farther back than I wanted, no CNS impact. Deer ran almost 400yds before expiring.
peak98

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many years ago during late season muzzleloader I had a herd of deer run across an enormous open and picked cornfield towards me. I was on a 3 man slow push. I spotted the deer first as they exited a draw into the field over 200 yards away. Having no cover whatsoever I simply dropped to my knees and hunkered over as much as possible. As luck would have it, the entire herd gravitated to my position. The last deer to pass was a nice 8 buck I now have mounted. At 10 yards, with the buck running half trot, I pulled up and shot him behind the shoulder. We discovered later the bullet entered behind the left shoulder perfectly broadside but somehow ricocheted midway 90* and traveled all the way to his right hindquarter nearly exiting. He ran over a quarter mile but dropped dead as soon as he hit the fence bordering the neighbors. That’s over 250 yards farther than any other deer I have mortally shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to shoot behind the shoulder an inch or two below the mid point of the body.I was amazed at how such a well placed shot often resulted in a deer making a long mad dash before dying.Many of those were a 100yds or so.I think the lungs are super shock absorbers.Being spongy and flexible,a low lung shot,even though it is a lethal shot,it seems to protect the spine from the bullet shock as it travels through the chest cavity.I started shooting tight up against the shoulder,an inch or two above the mid point of the body.You still get the lungs but most of the lungs are below the wound channel and it doesn't affect the shock of the bullet like the lower shot does.The result is you get a lot of shock to the underside of the spine and also ruptures the large arteries that are just below the spine.I get consistent DRT kills with that shot.Another thing to notice is the diaphragm is angled.A low shot a little too far behind the shoulder and you will either hit or rupture the stomach.Shooting a little higher,you can still hit back a ways and still be in the lungs and avoiding a gut shot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
i switched to front shoulder shots 90% of the time just to eliminate runs. doesn't always work, but usually.

I went the other way. No neighbor/property issues, so I go big and slow behind the shoulders to save meat. Easy to find when they're leaking from two big holes.

My experience with a .223 ttsx on a shoulder shot tells me that speed+bone=less running though. If running was an issue, I'd be shooting shoulder too.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
To date I haven't had one run after a neck shot with anything.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I used to shoot behind the shoulder an inch or two below the mid point of the body.I was amazed at how such a well placed shot often resulted in a deer making a long mad dash before dying.Many of those were a 100yds or so.I think the lungs are super shock absorbers.Being spongy and flexible,a low lung shot,even though it is a lethal shot,it seems to protect the spine from the bullet shock as it travels through the chest cavity.I started shooting tight up against the shoulder,an inch or two above the mid point of the body.You still get the lungs but most of the lungs are below the wound channel and it doesn't affect the shock of the bullet like the lower shot does.The result is you get a lot of shock to the underside of the spine and also ruptures the large arteries that are just below the spine.I get consistent DRT kills with that shot.Another thing to notice is the diaphragm is angled.A low shot a little too far behind the shoulder and you will either hit or rupture the stomach.Shooting a little higher,you can still hit back a ways and still be in the lungs and avoiding a gut shot.

Good post, I need to start aiming just a little higher.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Around a couple hundred yards or so. Factory 150 grain 30/30 bullet "penciled" through and didn't expand. Entrance and exit holes were the same size. Looked about like it had been stuck with a target tipped arrow instead of a bullet. Bled out internally. Didn't leave any blood trail until right before where I found it laying dead and then only a few drops. Bullet sliced through the side of the heart, took out one lung, passed through the liver and exited right at the last rib.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.