Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A young man whose mother is a good friend of my wife was seriously injured last month at the range. He was firing a Model 70 Winchester in 7mm Remington Magnum. He fired one round with no problems, then jacked in the next round and when he fired, the rifle completely blew up on him. He lost an eye and has had two eye surgeries since then. He was using factory ammunition, not reloads. The family asked me to bring it to this forum and see if anybody with expertise had any theories or insight into what happened. This young man is not a firearms neophyte, having served two hitches in the Marine Corps and been a lifelong hunter.

Since he fired the first round without incident, it is hard to visualize some kind of barrel obstruction, yet amazingly high pressure must have ensued.

Ideas?[Linked Image]

GB1

M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No helpful information on the rifle side, but I’m very sorry to hear of this incident for the young man’s sake.

Fear the crabcat.
M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M

M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M

IC B2

M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be having the remaining ammunition analyzed in an independent lab.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the first round was primed only or had very little charge and lodged a bullet in the barrel then the next normal load fired caused a pressure spike?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd be having the remaining ammunition analyzed in an independent lab.

+1

I hope the young man recovers and is ok.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Maybe the first round was primed only or had very little charge and lodged a bullet in the barrel then the next normal load fired caused a pressure spike?

I've never had a round lodge, but wouldn't it have be obvious if this were case. There would be no gas discharged and the sound would be way off, no?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

I've never had a round lodge, but wouldn't it have be obvious if this were case. There would be no gas discharged and the sound would be way off, no?

Don't know jut the only thing that comes to mind.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is the barrel obstructed now?

If so, nobody is about to re-use the bbl so one could either use a mill to essentially create a "cut-away" bbl exposing the contents, or, decide where the obstruction is, use a cleaning rod and a hammer to drive out the obstruction to whichever end it's closest to.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtman04
He was firing a Model 70 Winchester in 7mm Remington Magnum.

A sad affair for sure. The ammo is certainly the place to start.

Custom rifle? The stock and rear sight do not look like a standard or a super grade M70. Has he had it long?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
He inherited the rifle from his grandfather. It has been in the family for many years. I don't know if it had been customized in any way, but has had many years of normal use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the barrel.
It looks undamaged except from the rear closeup.
Obstructed barrels usually peel like a banana.

Kind of weird how the action split, but the barrel inside it didn't seem fazed.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That's about the 8th one I have heard of, shot with Federal ammo in the last 10 years.

One was a handgun. Federal 158 grain round nose 38 Special. The shooter was me. Gun blew up in my hand. I was only cut lightly on my right thumb, but the gun was a total loss.

The others were all rifles and all but one were shot with Federal Premium Ammo. The one exception was a 243, an old Herders J9 rifle and was shot with the "blue box" ammo.

I saw one blow at the Shoshoni Range. Shooter was injured but come out OK. He had some deep cuts on his left hand and and blood from his face, but his eyes were ok. That was a Remington M700 in 270 Winchester caliber. That was the 1st one in fact, about 10 years ago. He was from Iowa and came to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. Poor guy, when I talking to him he was saying he was just going to drive back home the following day.

The others were guns I was shown or told about.

So this is a problem Federal is obviously not paying the needed level of attention to.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The gun and ammo should be analyzed by a competent independent forensic lab. A barrel obstruction would be easy to determine and usually happens further up the tube. A very sad event.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by szihn
That's about the 8th one I have heard of, shot with Federal ammo in the last 10 years.

One was a handgun. Federal 158 grain round nose 38 Special. The shooter was me. Gun blew up in my hand. I was only cut lightly on my right thumb, but the gun was a total loss.

The others were all rifles and all but one were shot with Federal Premium Ammo. The one exception was a 243, an old Herders J9 rifle and was shot with the "blue box" ammo.

I saw one blow at the Shoshoni Range. Shooter was injured but come out OK. He had some deep cuts on his left hand and and blood from his face, but his eyes were ok. That was a Remington M700 in 270 Winchester caliber. That was the 1st one in fact, about 10 years ago. He was from Iowa and came to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. Poor guy, when I talking to him he was saying he was just going to drive back home the following day.

So this is a problem Federal is obviously not paying the needed level of attention to.

That's what lawyers are for.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ammo could have been tampered with.. by someone with an axe to grind.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by szihn

Was the cause of your ‘accident’ ever determined?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.