Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Just got my new Cimarron SAA Colt Model P in 44 Special. Would like to use the 200 grain bullet from Penn. What load can I use to get the sights close to zero at 25 yards. Thanks guys.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would load them with trailboss for dialing in the sights. Figure out where the bullet base will be in the case, fill with TB to that level, weigh that charge and start with 70% of that weight. You can work up to filling clear to the base of the bullet but Do Not compress trailboss.
Where in the panhandle are you? We may be neighbors😁

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Thanks deer, ha ha. Lil humor there. Trail Boss is a powder that I don't and probably can't get for awhile. Is there another powder that I can use in it's place. I have 38 different powders, may have something else that would work. I would be your southern neighbor as I'm in Post Falls. You live up in God's country. This the first handgun I'm owned that doesn't have adjustable sights and don't know quite how this done.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used Red Dot for Cowboy loads before switching to Trail Boss. Unique, a bit, before that.

Part of the cowboy drill is about filling the case as much as possible (no risk of double-charging) without creating a stout load... and Trail Boss is good for that.

Generally, sights will be sorta-kinda close with whatever mid-range load you use from any reputable recommended source. Then you can tweak from there if necessary.

Very occasionally you might have to file the front sight a bit... or maybe even bend it a bit... but over the course of 10-12 cowboy pistols I've not ever had to do any of that...

-Chris

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
IDpanhandle
I use universal in my 44 special. It's a ruger though. We're pretty close neighbour's I'm just across the line west of you. Spokane Valley.

Last edited by Slenk; 01/04/21.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If its for 25 yds shooting. anything will work. Don't need to adjust sights.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by IDpanhandle
Thanks deer, ha ha. Lil humor there. Trail Boss is a powder that I don't and probably can't get for awhile. Is there another powder that I can use in it's place. I have 38 different powders, may have something else that would work. I would be your southern neighbor as I'm in Post Falls. You live up in God's country. This the first handgun I'm owned that doesn't have adjustable sights and don't know quite how this done.

Damn, you've got 38 different powders. We should all have that problem.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You can pick pretty much any handgun or shotgun powder to start. As mentioned, the key is to have enough volume taken up to reduce the odds of double charging. That is the appeal of Trail Boss. For similar applications I've used;

Alliant: Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, American Select, Bullseye, Titegroup. BE-86 would probably be another good one to try though I haven't at this time.

Hodgdon (and others under their umbrella): Clays, Universal, International, HP-38/Win 231, Solo 1000, Nitro 100, 700x, H4227, Accurate No 5, True Blue.

Some powders were a bit more consistent than others but they all worked well enough. My favorites of these are Titegroup, Red Dot, Unique, 700x, Clays, Universal, No 5, HP-38/231, and Bullseye. They seemed to be the least sensitive to powder position in the case.

There are newer powders that should also work but I can't speak for them yet. Some examples would be Win 244, CFE Pistol, and Competition come to mind offhand. I've used Competition in the 45 ACP but not in larger cases. There are discontinued powders like SR 4756 and 7625 that were well liked at one time and can still be found on occasion.

Bullet weight seems to be a more important factor in regulating a load to the sights than powder charge. Most of my experience with fixed sights have been with 38 Special, 38 S&W, and 45 Colt and I found 158, 200, and 250 gr bullets to be pretty easy to regulate a load. Deviate from these weights and things quickly became problematic.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start with 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Titegroup. Or, 7.5 to 8.0 grains of Power Pistol. Both of these have become my go to powders in both the 44 spl and 45 colt. Unique and Universal work well too.

Titegroup ignites consistently with small charges unlike some other powders.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
324 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 34 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.