Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
tmitch.

Had a thought (I know, dangerous). When you pick it up, take it apart to get better pictures of the bottom metal. If it seems to be Sunny Hill like we all think, I'd send photos of that stock to Sunny Hill, ask them what they think it is. You'd think they'd know, at least have some thoughts.

I've checked around, no one seems to know from what we can see. It doesn't appear to be a McM, but looks like a nice stock.

Can't be that many companies making drop belly, synthetic M-70 Express stocks..

DF

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There was a seller on eBay within the last year who had some express stocks for sale. They were unfinished but he swore they were McMillans. I’ve been trying to figure out where I have seen this stock before; perhaps that was it. At the time I couldn’t find anything that matched in the current lineup, but maybe that one (and this) are an old pattern? Perhaps McMillan would know if sunny hill doesn’t.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
HaHa! You guys are gonna prompt me to get it out of hock sooner than later! Hopefully there may be some markings that clue me in, but barring that, I will post more detailed pictures that someone here may recognise. Another thought I have is this *might* have been a product of the Winchester custom shop? I've seen pictures of CS rifles with drop belly magazines in wood stocks and in my Google search read a reference (no picture) to a synthetic drop belly. I did not notice, or look for, any markings on this one to signify a CS rifle just the "G" six digit serial number and "Classic Stainless" on the barrel. The mystery continues till I free it from its present confines. Thanks for all your input.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tmitch
HaHa! You guys are gonna prompt me to get it out of hock sooner than later! Hopefully there may be some markings that clue me in, but barring that, I will post more detailed pictures that someone here may recognise. Another thought I have is this *might* have been a product of the Winchester custom shop? I've seen pictures of CS rifles with drop belly magazines in wood stocks and in my Google search read a reference (no picture) to a synthetic drop belly. I did not notice, or look for, any markings on this one to signify a CS rifle just the "G" six digit serial number and "Classic Stainless" on the barrel. The mystery continues till I free it from its present confines. Thanks for all your input.

Maybe they'll let you look at it, if you don't drool all over it... laugh.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
As much as I would like to build a 9.3 for Alaska, the Ruger 375 Alaskan Hawkeye is such a strong rifle that the 9.3 build seems foolish.

Note -- if a left handed, stainless, long action Hawkeye becomes available, please disable my internet. smile

WHERE WERE YOU GUYS WHEN I NEEDED YOU???

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
From the Lefty forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...54/LH_Ruger_Stainless_338-06#Post9929154

Now on the way to me. Not particularly big bore, but too good not to shoot as it is. I appreciate everyone's support.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a nice one Talus

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
From the Lefty forum:

Now on the way to me. Not particularly big bore, but too good not to shoot as it is. I appreciate everyone's support.

That is a great deal with Shilen barrel and in a great round. The Shilen would cost around $600 fitted.

Is that 13 1/4" LOP OK with you? I guess you could add a thicker pad for 13 1/2" which would be my ideal LOP. But with winter clothes that LOP may not be too bad.

You did good.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vanguard with an upgraded stock?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
this has been an informative topic as I have a .375 and I hunt in alaska from time to time with my son. However, I now realize that my rifle is woofully inadequate as it has way more negatives than positives and I don't want to spend the additional couple thousand dollars to make it what it should be. Here is what it is with all its deficits:

1) 1953 M70 with the original barrel (25")
2) the original wood stock although it is bedded
3) it weighs somewhere around 10 lbs. or maybe a little more
4) the scope is a lowly old 3x leupold
5) its not stainless steel
6) it has no rear sight

I was actually going to take it with me on our brown bear hunt last april but because of the covid it got postponed. At least now I have another year or more to either get another rifle or spend the big bucks to have this one so modified.
I have no doubt that the perfect .375 as described is a much better tool for the job, but I just don't want to spend the money (2K?) to make it what it should be. Recommendations?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
this has been an informative topic as I have a .375 and I hunt in alaska from time to time with my son. However, I now realize that my rifle is woofully inadequate as it has way more negatives than positives and I don't want to spend the additional couple thousand dollars to make it what it should be. Here is what it is with all its deficits:

6) it has no rear sight

I was actually going to take it with me on our brown bear hunt last april but because of the covid it got postponed. At least now I have another year or more to either get another rifle or spend the big bucks to have this one so modified.
I have no doubt that the perfect .375 as described is a much better tool for the job, but I just don't want to spend the money (2K?) to make it what it should be. Recommendations?

Assuming you generally like the rifle, and assuming it shoots minute of bear/moose...

Could be inexpensive to do minor mods. Live with #1, #2, #3, and #5. Keep it dry as best you can, and give it some TLC every night.

If the (#4) scope mounts aren't already some kind of QD system, maybe change to that. If there's a front sight, get a bolt-on peep sight (#5) that mounts on the rear base when the scope is dismounted and that works with your existing front sight.

Unless all that interferes with your real desire to make major modifications or buy a new rifle...

-Chris

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
From the Lefty forum:

That is a great deal with Shilen barrel and in a great round. The Shilen would cost around $600 fitted.

Is that 13 1/4" LOP OK with you? I guess you could add a thicker pad for 13 1/2" which would be my ideal LOP. But with winter clothes that LOP may not be too bad.

You did good.

DF

LOP should be good. If not, a minimal adjustment. EZ.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

6) it has no rear sight

It would take a lot to make me believe the internet more than my actual rifle. Always worked well, didn't it?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
#2 son recently built a 375 Ruger on a stainless M700 action. Apparently he figured that if my 20" Ruger Alaskan is good, an 18" Remington would be better. I fired it exactly once, off sticks. Fire-breathing dragon wearing steel horseshoes, I thought. He rationed maybe 10 shots, full-house 235 Speers, and 250 TTSXs, over five months or so. Actually took it on an elk hunt as a backup for his 7 mag. Latest is that the action is now wearing a .264 WM bbl., but he indexed the .375 bbl, just in case his job takes him far north. But he left all the 375 ammo he had on my shelf. Funny thing is that I would have given him my Ruger if he had asked...

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
#2 son recently built a 375 Ruger on a stainless M700 action. Apparently he figured that if my 20" Ruger Alaskan is good, an 18" Remington would be better. I fired it exactly once, off sticks. Fire-breathing dragon wearing steel horseshoes, I thought. He rationed maybe 10 shots, full-house 235 Speers, and 250 TTSXs, over five months or so. Actually took it on an elk hunt as a backup for his 7 mag. Latest is that the action is now wearing a .264 WM bbl., but he indexed the .375 bbl, just in case his job takes him far north. But he left all the 375 ammo he had on my shelf. Funny thing is that I would have given him my Ruger if he had asked...

Thank you, no.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

My idea of a perfect Ak 375. Winchester 70 classic, 20” barrel, featherweight wood stock, 2.5-8 leupold in Talley Q/D rings

The last time I saw Jim Harrower's Model 70 375 H&H it was kinda that color. Both the steel and wood. Scope and rings weren't tho. Iirc he had an old Vx2 2-7 on it.
Of course , his rifle kinda resembled his hat.
Most all the rifles original finish had been wore off by decades of working.
To the best of my knowledge his rifle had never let him down.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

6) it has no rear sight

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by haverluk
I am liking my Ruger Alaskan (pre barrel band sling stud). The action is slick! Alaska Arms QR rings and a Leupold 4x at the moment. Dropped it into a Zytel stock added a Limbsaver and I could not be happier. 7.5# bare and 8.5# scoped. This particular rifle is the 416 Ruger but the same could be done to a 375 Ruger. The investment cost was well worth the return! I have also established that 400 grains at 2400 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle is about my limit for comfort and control crazy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, that would be lively.
Weight is a constant. Recoil is temporary 😀

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I remember what it was like dreaming up the perfect rifle for Alaska and the OP is in my opinion on a good track.
In the medium bores. [ 8mm to 375] all my quests were solved with the 375 Ruger Guide Gun/Rifle. ( Marlin beat Ruger to the Guide Gun moniker)
The M77 Mk2 stainless Hawkeye has all the bells and whistles on it . Out of the box , that we used to pay boat loads of money for.

The only thing it could use that it doesn't come with is a short Pic rail section for a light.
Buy the rifle . Buy a good scope. Spend all the gunsmith money on ammo and components.
With use the action will slick up so it slides like a hot knife thru butter.
Maybe invest in a few spare front sight blades in case one gets broke off when the rifle get dropped hard.

But. Having a custom 375 built is a grand thing!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CTF
Originally Posted by haverluk
I am liking my Ruger Alaskan (pre barrel band sling stud). The action is slick! Alaska Arms QR rings and a Leupold 4x at the moment. Dropped it into a Zytel stock added a Limbsaver and I could not be happier. 7.5# bare and 8.5# scoped. This particular rifle is the 416 Ruger but the same could be done to a 375 Ruger. The investment cost was well worth the return! I have also established that 400 grains at 2400 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle is about my limit for comfort and control crazy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, that would be lively.
Weight is a constant. Recoil is temporary 😀

I think Matt want's to be gunner500 when he grows up... laugh

That gun is a good start...

gunner would approve.

DF

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.