Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Ruger Predator in 6.5CM recently for Mrs. Redhill and took it out to sight it in.

I was impressed with the initial group size which ran from .75 to 1.2" with my reloads for it. However I noticed that on one side of the stock near the end of the forearm, the stock is almost touching the barrel. The barrel is supposed to be free floated, which it currently is, but not by much.

My fear is that if the rifle is fitted with a bipod or placed on a rock/tree limb to stabilize it the weight of doing that will cause the stock to touch the barrel and out goes the accuracy. I'm heading out to test out the theory after shooting it off a simple rest and will use shooting bags and a bipod this time to see if the fears are real.

I was surprised to find the accuracy that good from the start and hopefully it will continue when the stock has some pressure on it.

Possible solutions are (1) Heat the stock and try to bend it back by hand (2) Trim off the offending portion of the forearm to get the clearance needed

Any Suggestions are welcomed.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd trim it out a bit on the offending side. I tried the heat gun method on a RAR and it didn't go well. It wouldn't soften up and then it got there all of a sudden and those thin interior braces got all wilty. Lucky it was a spare handle.

Now with even more aplomb
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

JPro

Thanks for your post. Sounds like the heat approach is a wee bit dicey,..............so I am heading to trim.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cut a length wise strip of sand paper about 1 1/4" wide. Slide it between the barrel and the stock with the grit side facing the stock of course. Pull it back and forth till you have the clearance you want. End of story
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Magnum Bob

Thanks for the post. Another good approach.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pull it out of the stock and use a dremel man. Some guys try to make this chidt harder than it has to be.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve not had much luck with heat and RAR stocks, either. Sanding is the way to go.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wonder if that last little bit of torque tightening it up, has caused it almost touching...'

try loosening it up a hair, then put a shim of some sort as you torque it down for that final last bit..

then pull out shim....

I did that to one RAR I had, and that worked...had same issue out of the box...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
I wonder if that last little bit of torque tightening it up, has caused it almost touching...'

try loosening it up a hair, then put a shim of some sort as you torque it down for that final last bit..

then pull out shim....

I did that to one RAR I had, and that worked...had same issue out of the box...

Seafire

I noticed that there was a potential of a barrel rub when I got the rifle home. I took the action out of the box to lighten the trigger pull ( the trigger still needs some work) and tighten the action back up with a Fat Wrench until reaching the suggested 60psi. I watched the stock/barrel distance as I cranked on the wrench and it stayed the same up to the end. I think this stock is just a wee bit bent but will be sanding the needed area to sweeten up the groups even more.

Thanks for the post

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Contact Ruger... they just send you another stock.... worth a phone call.... or let them suggest the best solution for fixing that..

maybe they'll have you ship it back to them to correct...

I've got some tools long ago for cheap from Boyd's for hollowing out barrel channels..
it was for wood, but I wonder how'd they work on the fiberglass or whatever the stock is made out of...

I have Predator in 6.5 Grendel that is as accurate as hell....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Contact Ruger... they just send you another stock.... worth a phone call.... or let them suggest the best solution for fixing that..

I've got some tools long ago for cheap from Boyd's for hollowing out barrel channels..
it was for wood, but I wonder how'd they work on the fiberglass or whatever the stock is made out of...

I have Predator in 6.5 Grendel that is as accurate as hell....

Seafire - - After trying to get in touch with them on the phone over two days now, I decided that a wait time of over 30 minutes was my cut-off. Tried many times during both days and no luck so I emailed them today and explained the problem and gave them my two possible solutions. Heat and bend or sand and cut. Waiting for the quick response......which should happen within the next two weeks for sure.

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

UPDATE

Finally got through on the phone to a rep in North Carolina at Ruger and as Seafire, in his wisdom, stated ..."they just send you another stock" that is indeed the solution that gal came up with. When I asked if she would like me to return the defect stock to her, she said "not needed, keep it"

This is again an example of great CS from Ruger and lends itself to many return sales.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Twice I have wanted to order compact stocks to have as spare youth stocks. Both times they sent them without charge.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Can you change a lightbulb yourself?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Can you change a lightbulb yourself?

I wonder what will happen if the new stock "rubs" the barrel? Funny guys can't even freefloat a damn barrel channel.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tells you how cheap and crappy those stocks are if they are just willing to send you another one...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
2nd generation RAR stocks forearms are more rigid but need relief, take stock off and use a round rasp a little at a time.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, lets see, after reading some of the wise ass "needed" responses on this page..

I have some rasps I got from Boyd's that I have used on their laminate stocks, that I suggested... just brain farted on what they call them..
welcome to getting old...and someone already mentioned a drimel...

no Ruger doesn't send you another stock because they are cheap and crappy... they do that because its just good customer service..
and secondly, Redhill now has two stocks... he can experiment on one, and once he figures it out on that stock... he's got the second one
to apply what he's learned, if it even needs the same modification...

can I change a light bulb myself? nope... I got friends in SE Alaska on speed dial... I call them and they talk me thru it..
my other option is to just throw the lamp away, and buy a new lamp with a new bulb in it..

I've actually have sanded out a lot of barrel channels... probably done 40 to 50 Boyd's stocks for myself and others...
Plastics not so much, as plastic stocks are what caused me to change the stocks to the laminate ones from Boyds....

but as always the campfire has critics who like to criticize others, so other campfire members will think they are smarter than everyone else...

and if the factory is willing to send another stock and don't need the old one back, its their money, so why do we need someone else to tell us what the manufacturer should do... its none of their Friggin business actually....got nothing to add constructively, then consider just STFU...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yup, and when the new stock gets there and one side rubs. on the barrel.you gonna go whine to them again or just use a 10 cent strip of sandpaper and fix the sob? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sandpaper strip does work. I'll often put a thin layer of tape on the barrel and keep the action screws a bit loose. The tape protects the bluing from the grit that will find its way behind the sandpaper, and the loose screws allow room to work.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dunno what RAR stocks are made of, but betting that sandpaper will get the better of it quickly. Plus, it's self-regulating. The paper side of a sheet of sandpaper shouldn't damage a rifle barrel, but if it does, it's an RAR. Just rattle-can it. If marking the barrel is really a concern, just remove the barreled action and substitute a wooden dowel of correct size and sand away.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The sandpaper method works but if you angle it at all leaves beveled edges on a stock which I do not like.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yup, and when the new stock gets there and one side rubs. on the barrel.you gonna go whine to them again or just use a 10 cent strip of sandpaper and fix the sob? Mb

snicker......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JPro
The sandpaper strip does work. I'll often put a thin layer of tape on the barrel and keep the action screws a bit loose. The tape protects the bluing from the grit that will find its way behind the sandpaper, and the loose screws allow room to work.

Good info JPro......

simple solution...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you remove the stock you can scrape away the excess with a box cutter blade, I like that better than sandpaper on the Tupperware stocks.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just fill the cross hatch in the barrel channel with some epoxy and then sand to fit the barrel. Easy and works great to stiffen the front of the stock.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The sandpaper method works but if you angle it at all leaves beveled edges on a stock which I do not like.

Don't angle it at all.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All you have to do is put it in there and pull the sandpaper back and forth. Keep the ends parallel 3/4" apart straight above the barrel. Mb

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Just fill the cross hatch in the barrel channel with some epoxy and then sand to fit the barrel. Easy and works great to stiffen the front of the stock.

Thanks for the post. I've heard of guys using a product called Glaze Coat to fill in the webwork of some of those poly stocks to stiffen up the forearm portion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it shoots fine resting on sandbags or whatever the stock is sitting on why would bypods make a difference? Still has the same rifle sitting in the same stock resting on something that doesn’t really matter. 1MOA average is pretty good for factory rifle at that price which is what makes it appealing! If you have tinker with it and start bedding the stock and floating the barrel and trueing the action and lapping the lugs it’s not worth it

Wac em and stack em
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Cut a length wise strip of sand paper about 1 1/4" wide. Slide it between the barrel and the stock with the grit side facing the stock of course. Pull it back and forth till you have the clearance you want. End of story
Mb
That is pretty much guaranteed to scratch the barrel finish.....ask me how I know.....Pulled sandpaper under Kreiger varmint weight barrel fitting it in a Remington factory stock. I did not have to remove much material and the barrel-stock space was pretty consistent when finished, but some grit got between the back of the sandpaper and the barrel which fixed the bead blasted SS barrel finish. Most of it was hidden by the stock, still..... Maybe some masking tape or electricians tape might save barrel finish.

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Mb
That is pretty much guaranteed to scratch the barrel finish.....ask me how I know.....Pulled sandpaper under Kreiger varmint weight barrel fitting it in a Remington factory stock. I did not have to remove much material and the barrel-stock space was pretty consistent when finished, but some grit got between the back of the sandpaper and the barrel which fixed the bead blasted SS barrel finish. Most of it was hidden by the stock, still..... Maybe some masking tape or electricians tape might save barrel finish.

Great idea coming from experience. thanks

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
deep socket a touch bigger than the barrel wrapped in course grit sandpaper and go to work. helped my raps groups out quite a bit.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.