Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
...Neither?

Looking for a bigger saw that what I have. I have a Stihl 025 and it's served it's purpose. I'll keep it around but it will be used for what it was designed for. Pretty much small stuff and limbing. I'd like a bigger one for firewood, trail work, and possibly screwing around with an Alaskan Saw Mill a little bit.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m a husky guy so that’s what I’d get. As usual the answers will be what people like. Get whatever has the best dealer support near you if you use a shop for maintenance and repair. If you like to tinker and can wrench a little yourself then Husky parts are available online where Stihl is not.

I would add that I don’t believe either saw is big enough to mill with.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When I was researching saws the 562 XP was more than impressive. It is a beast but was out of my price range for the little I was going to use a saw.

Sam Olson has one. He'll probably hit you up when he's done chopping holes in the cow ponds.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
DSF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
We've used a 562xp on a 24 inch mill works fine, also have a 572xp. These saws are very good in my opinion never had anything happen to either one. We cut a lot in the winter, we farm, I'm not a logger.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
I’m a husky guy so that’s what I’d get. As usual the answers will be what people like. Get whatever has the best dealer support near you if you use a shop for maintenance and repair. If you like to tinker and can wrench a little yourself then Husky parts are available online where Stihl is not.

There are a few big box dealers around, Northern Tool and Fleet Farm. But they're dealing with the 455 Rancher and 271 Farm Boss style saws. Not much of a jump from what I have IMO. I'm going to check out a dealer after work that has both. But, that is a factor for sure.

Originally Posted by LowerRiver

I would add that I don’t believe either saw is big enough to mill with.

That's good to know and why I asked. That's nothing that's going to happen in the next year, but definitely high enough up the list to keep in mind. Thank you!

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DSF
We've used a 562xp on a 24 inch mill works fine, also have a 572xp. These saws are very good in my opinion never had anything happen to either one. We cut a lot in the winter, we farm, I'm not a logger.

What length bar did you have on either of them? The 572XP is on the list as well. But the 562XP seemed like a lot of saw for the money.

Last edited by tzone; 12/29/20.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Stihl

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
...Neither?

Looking for a bigger saw that what I have. I have a Stihl 025 and it's served it's purpose. I'll keep it around but it will be used for what it was designed for. Pretty much small stuff and limbing. I'd like a bigger one for firewood, trail work, and possibly screwing around with an Alaskan Saw Mill a little bit.

I heard that the updated version of this with the new carb is model 555.
I never used it to rip boards, but think it's up to the task with the right chain.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/29/20.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Stihl

Why?

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Buy the dealer, not the saw. I have Stihl . I like them but my dealer had my 026 in 2 times and it still does not run very well. I know a Husky dealer 12 mi. away and that is close for around here. They are very good mechanics. My next saw would be a 346XP and a 372 XP if mine were lost ruined or stolen.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been really pleased with my MS 362. Stepped up from an MS 310 and so glad I made the jump. Never a single problem with it and I've had it about 5 years now. Local Stihl dealer is great too and like already said, part of the reason I went Stihl.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I found a decent place tonight. Not far from home either. They sell Stihl, Husky, and Echo. As well as toro mowed and snow blowers. They also repair all brands.

I fondled both saws tonight and the 572XP. The 562 is kind of a hot rod compared to what I’m used to.

I also dropped off my saw to see what they can come up with. Whoever said coil in my thread last week sounds like they might be the winner.

Last edited by tzone; 12/29/20.

D
DSF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Tzone, mostly use 24 inch bars on both saws, had a huge ash last winter had a 36 inch bar on the 572. The 562xp is an amazing saw we've it several years now.

D
DSF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The 562xp is like a Corvette to me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're using it for a mill you need a 660 or 880. Other that that a MS261 would be excellent for the work you describe. If you want something bigger that can handle a bar longer than 20", a MS462 would be an excellent choice.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're using it for a mill you need a 660 or 880. Other that that a MS261 would be excellent for the work you describe. If you want something bigger that can handle a bar longer than 20", a MS462 would be an excellent choice. I purchased a 462 a little more than a year ago and it's a Hoss, then again, so is the 261.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/29/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DSF
Tzone, mostly use 24 inch bars on both saws, had a huge ash last winter had a 36 inch bar on the 572. The 562xp is an amazing saw we've it several years now.

Well I don’t want a 36” bar but would consider a 24”. Although, I probably don’t need it. The one I handled tonight was a 20” bar.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
If you're using it for a mill you need a 660 or 880. Other that that a MS261 would be excellent for the work you describe. If you want something bigger that can handle a bar longer than 20", a MS462 would be an excellent choice.

Does it really need to be that big?

If so, I’m not ready for that yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Neither?

I would figure out the percentage of work you will be using for the mill and how much for trail work, etc.
If it's just a little of this and a lot of that.....
It will determine how much weight you want to carry, how much $ to spend, etc.
The tree sizes and hard wood type may be a factor too. Ask around at an arborist forum. Youll likely find more experience for millwork there.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found a decent place tonight. Not far from home either. They sell Stihl, Husky, and Echo. As well as toro mowed and snow blowers. They also repair all brands.

I fondled both saws tonight and the 572XP. The 562 is kind of a hot rod compared to what I’m used to.

I also dropped off my saw to see what they can come up with. Whoever said coil in my thread last week sounds like they might be the winner.

I was wondering how that worked out for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.