Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by High_Noon
If you're using it for a mill you need a 660 or 880. Other that that a MS261 would be excellent for the work you describe. If you want something bigger that can handle a bar longer than 20", a MS462 would be an excellent choice.

Does it really need to be that big?

If so, I’m not ready for that yet.

If yer just milling small schidt, no, but you will kick yourself for not getting a bigger and more powerful saw if you move up at all in size. Remember that you're milling with the grain rather than cutting across the grain - more power is always better in such cases. My logger Bud in OR cuts & mills BIG Western Red, Doug Fir, Maple, etc. and has some impressive rigs:

Custom 96" double-ended bar with dual 880s:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His small rig:

Also, if you are going to mill, do yourself a favor and learn the Humboldt bottom/undercut.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/29/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Zoner,:take the time and cruise some you tube vids on milling. Lots of helpful info on it by guys who do it. 20" bar won't let you mill much 24" minimum just because of the way you have to set up the mill on initial cuts. From what I saw on those vids most go for a pro saw 70 cc minimum and 30"+ bar length and a chain made to cut with the grain.
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
...Neither?

Looking for a bigger saw that what I have. I have a Stihl 025 and it's served it's purpose. I'll keep it around but it will be used for what it was designed for. Pretty much small stuff and limbing. I'd like a bigger one for firewood, trail work, and possibly screwing around with an Alaskan Saw Mill a little bit.

I would figure out the percentage of work you will be using for the mill and how much for trail work, etc.
If it's just a little of this and a lot of that.....
It will determine how much weight you want to carry, how much $ to spend, etc.
The tree sizes and hard wood type may be a factor too. Ask around at an arborist forum. Youll likely find more experience for millwork there.

Oh it won’t be much on a mill. That would be mostly to screw around with.

Camp is where you make it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 673
I found a decent place tonight. Not far from home either. They sell Stihl, Husky, and Echo. As well as toro mowed and snow blowers. They also repair all brands.

I fondled both saws tonight and the 572XP. The 562 is kind of a hot rod compared to what I’m used to.

I also dropped off my saw to see what they can come up with. Whoever said coil in my thread last week sounds like they might be the winner.

I was wondering how that worked out for you.

There isn’t much left for me to look at. Carb, coil, and a rebuild are about where I’m at.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That double is wild!!

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Zoner,:take the time and cruise some you tube vids on milling. Lots of helpful info on it by guys who do it. 20" bar won't let you mill much 24" minimum just because of the way you have to set up the mill on initial cuts. From what I saw on those vids most go for a pro saw 70 cc minimum and 30"+ bar length and a chain made to cut with the grain.
Mb

Thank you. That’s on the list for tomorrow. The 572XP is a 70cc saw. Salesmen told me today that the 562XP is a high reving SOB, especially for a 60cc unit. He said it will hang with the 70’s in all but the biggest wood.

Really, I may need to revisit the mill and how much it would actually get used. It would be just for screwing around. No real plans for it at this point.

Last edited by tzone; 12/30/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tzone;
Good evening to you sir, I trust other than the current chainsaw quandary that life is as good as possible these days with you.

From what I read, the 572XP is a beast, but I've got no personal experience with one. My current "big saw" is a 14 year old 372XPG with a 24" bar and full chisel chains.

We don't have hardwood here really, but I do get into some bigger wood sometimes and the power of the 72cc is nice then.

They're not super light, but certainly lighter than some 90 and close to 100cc saws I've used, both Stihl and Husky. The heavy ones got pretty taxing when bucking on side hills, but not too bad on flat spots.

That said, when it came time to buy my own, I went with the 372 and haven't ever really felt I wanted a bigger saw.

It replaced an older Husky 61 - the ones that had a white top so maybe an '82 or about there. The extra 10cc is noticeable, but the newer saw also revs higher.

Hopefully that was useful for you sir, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you in 2021.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 362s, with 20" bar. It's used mostly for large trees that storms leave in less than ideal position. What I like about this particular saw is that it is very responsive. You can usually get it out of a tree when it starts to bind. I'm sure some others do the same thing, but I know this one does.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
What I say every time this comes up, and others have said it also, is buy the one that has good dealer support with trained mechanics and parts availability. Both Husky and Stihl are great saws.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
When I was researching saws the 562 XP was more than impressive. It is a beast but was out of my price range for the little I was going to use a saw.

Sam Olson has one. He'll probably hit you up when he's done chopping holes in the cow ponds.

Rooster, I have a 550xp.

When it was brand new it wouldn't idle. I just kept using it and it snapped out of it and has ran fine for the last few years.

I would buy another.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've got the 562XP - the thing is an animal and hasn't let me down yet. Would buy again.

- Rogue
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have ran both Husky and Stihl extensively, I run Huskies mainly because I have a small fortune in husky parts here.
I recently bought a new 395 Husqvarna, when I got home I looked and it said made in Brazil. I was a bit pissed, its a great saw and don't notice anything different. The parts may be made in Sweden, not sure. The smaller Huskies are made in China, check into it.
The Stihl is still made in Germany as far as I know, that should tell you something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out of the > 10 saws I have, the Stihl 250 and 361 are all I really need for felling, bucking, limbing, and milling of trees < 20” in diameter.

I prefer a 0.325” 18” bar/chain on the 250, but a 16” works fine.
The 361 wears a 20” bar most of the time, but will also pull a 25”. I like to mill with the 25” when on my Granberg, as it is long enough for me to use an extension ladder section as the mill guide.

For large milling or extremely hard wood, my 044 is a little faster. When milling, saw weight doesn’t really matter - but for felling and bucking, I seldom break out the 044 as it wears me out. In fact, I’d rather use my 250 than 361 for most light/medium duty for that same reason. Oddly, I often find myself reaching for the 250 rather than 026 for the same reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
I have ran both Husky and Stihl extensively, I run Huskies mainly because I have a small fortune in husky parts here.
I recently bought a new 395 Husqvarna, when I got home I looked and it said made in Brazil. I was a bit pissed, its a great saw and don't notice anything different. The parts may be made in Sweden, not sure. The smaller Huskies are made in China, check into it.
The Stihl is still made in Germany as far as I know, that should tell you something.

673;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the winter's been okay for you folks up the valley and all else is more or less where you need it to be in your world.

If I can be forgiven for telling this one again, it goes like this. About 4 years back I needed a smaller saw for doing a bit of limbing out of a basket truck - it was a one day job that a co-worker and I were doing in our respective yards - I went to the local shop in Penticton which sells both Husky and Stihl.

Our eldest daughter happened to work there at the time and the owner offered to extend a nice family discount on whatever saw I wanted. We've known the owners since we went to pre-natal class with them before our kids were here, so we go back a fair distance.

Anyways when I said I'd always been a Husky guy since converting from Pioneer, they refused to sell me any of the non pro grade small Husky saws. These would be the made in China ones of which you speak and no they weren't getting good results in the field whatsoever.

They pointed me to a little MS170 Stihl which other than needing a $1.35 gas tank vent has been a wonderful little saw. I might convert it into a .050 bar to run better chain on it someday, that's how much I like it. On the side it's marked Made in USA - which surprised me and I'm guessing it's German parts assembled in the US, but honestly have no clue.

One never knows where anything is made anymore I'm finding. In the 2 strokes I've had good luck with Bosch plugs which used to be made in Germany, then I believe it was Spain, then one of the Slovak countries and the last ones I bought are made in China.

Do you have any recommendations for 2 stroke plugs not made there by chance?

Oh - based on your recommendation I've picked up some WorkSafeBC certified kevlar pants too sir - thanks for the feedback on that one, I do appreciate it and very much respect your opinion on such things

All the best to you all in 2021.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't know about the plugs, I like the Bosch ones.
Look me up when you know your coming up this way!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wouldn't rule out the Echo CS-590, mine has been a great saw[3 years now]. Already owned a .028 and 021 Stihls

I bought it solely on price figuring I wouldn't need another 30 years of full on firewood cutting at my age.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chainsaws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf

FJB & FJT
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
I wouldn't rule out the Echo CS-590, mine has been a great saw[3 years now]. Already owned a .028 and 021 Stihls

I bought it solely on price figuring I wouldn't need another 30 years of full on firewood cutting at my age.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chainsaws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf

I keep forgetting about the Echo saws.
I was looking at them just the other day and I see there is a new model, its about 75cc IIRC, and it comes with a 5yr warranty.
I would sure like to try one for a day or two, great reviews from those who run them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently have red saws but color doesn't make them cut. I have a couple of 71cc saws and they are getting a bit heavy. I love them for tearing into a pile of wood but way too much for tipping and limbing. I was actually thinking about selling one and getting a 55cc or so pro saw. I had a 95cc at one time but I was an animal back then. You mentioned a mill. Thanks, now I have another project and an excuse to keep them both.
I do like the 24" bar so I don't have to bend over while cutting. A 62 would probably be on my list if I owned just one saw. I thing my neighbor ND has one about that size.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
tzone;
Good evening to you sir, I trust other than the current chainsaw quandary that life is as good as possible these days with you.

From what I read, the 572XP is a beast, but I've got no personal experience with one. My current "big saw" is a 14 year old 372XPG with a 24" bar and full chisel chains.

We don't have hardwood here really, but I do get into some bigger wood sometimes and the power of the 72cc is nice then.

They're not super light, but certainly lighter than some 90 and close to 100cc saws I've used, both Stihl and Husky. The heavy ones got pretty taxing when bucking on side hills, but not too bad on flat spots.

That said, when it came time to buy my own, I went with the 372 and haven't ever really felt I wanted a bigger saw.

It replaced an older Husky 61 - the ones that had a white top so maybe an '82 or about there. The extra 10cc is noticeable, but the newer saw also revs higher.

Hopefully that was useful for you sir, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you in 2021.

Dwayne

'twas useful sir and I think you. It looks like we've come to the same conclusion. Being the 572 is a beast of a saw. Probably much more than I'll ever need. So, being a man....it's in the running. grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've got a 362s, with 20" bar. It's used mostly for large trees that storms leave in less than ideal position. What I like about this particular saw is that it is very responsive. You can usually get it out of a tree when it starts to bind. I'm sure some others do the same thing, but I know this one does.

That is one thing the 'ol ms 250 won't do. That's get out ahead of a bind. I've had to get creative a time or two.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (2UP, 44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.