Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

No new loads for the 338-06 with new powders, one of many that did not. Just the same loads from decades ago.

I've ordered the book from Midway and it's taking a while to get here, (Covid and Xmas slow down), so I haven't reviewed. I'm a Reloading manual nerd. Love the write-ups in the Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, etc Manuals. But, I have to ask myself, "why do I re-load"? It's because mainly I shoot oddball calibers, i.e. 240 Wby, 7mm WSM, 338-06, 257 Roberts, (not really oddball, but +p data sucks in most manuals). Plus I live and hunt in California where finding Lead Free data wanting in most powder manuals Not only are these cartridges not updated, but they're being dropped out. I just bought the 2021 Hodgdon magazine, guess what? The calibers I mentioned above have again been omitted, dropped or not updated. And the powder manuals, where is the data on Berry's type bullets data? We shoot these by the hundreds in pistols, or monumental bullets? I ask myself again, "why do I reload"? One good reason is because I shoot oddball calibers and they should be included in the manuals.

[/quote]

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is why my collection of loading manuals always includes all the latest. There isn't one single loading manual (or one source of on-line data) that includes every new bullet or powder.

If more companies published all their latest pressure-tested data on the Internet this wouldn't be a problem. But a few companies don't, because they make money selling printed manuals. I have considerable sympathy for them, due to Eileen and I publishing printed "recipe" books ourselves. But there's more to handloading (or game cooking) than just recipes, which is why mere data doesn't answer all questions.
To my eye the key word in the quote is "all."
I buy all the manuals I can data and procedures both. I weight Gun Gack and others from the same source more than most. Even when the powders have the same names I don't pay much attention to the data from Phil Sharpe or even from Richard Lee's much more recent big book.

My biggest gripe with the included at no extra charge internet data is the illusion of completeness. Despite having their latest data book in the next room I checked on line to choose powder for a less common cartridge. I bought a powder I wouldn't have if I had chosen from the full assortment in the printed book.

I've been told the various labs do respond to interest expressed by their customers but seldom and only for the largest numbers?

Anybody out there today after the manner of H.P. White to do pressure testing and load development for hire? I'd like the opportunity to join a Patreon group suggesting which questions should be answered next.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clark,

Before Hodgdon bought Western Powders, the lab in Miles City did a LOT of piezo pressure-testing for various companies, including at least one major bullet company. Don't know if that will continue with the Hodgdon purchase.

Don't know why some powder/bullet/etc.companies don't list ALL their data on-line, but suspect it will continue to increase.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Just ordered my #9 today. Whether or not it's worth it or doesn't really matter now. At least Ill have hard copy of data.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My newest manual is several years old, the newest powder I have bought is at least a decade old, most have been around for many decades. My most currently used powders, are H-1000, RL-15 and Varget. Oldest is 4831. I believe that there have been "few", that does not mean any, of any advancements in cartridges since the 50s. Many love new stuff, I love tried, tested and work ready. Just my 02.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Nosler #8 is currently online minus the cartridge author write-ups. I wonder how long it'll take to get #9 online.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CZ550
If we take into consideration how many bullets Nosler produces (105 based on the #9 manual), and how many powders tested with a single bullet, and how many shots fired with a particular powder starting at low to high, and all that being evaluated after a series of 5 shots per load with a single bullet (average), to build a complete NEW manual from scratch would be far too costly and time consuming!

And they have less that 1/2 the number of bullets (varmint, small game, game, and big game, plus handgun bullets) than Hornady!

Son I think expectations need be more realistic!

When you get to be my age (some will make it, most won't) you are, or will be, more realistic in expectations. Firstly, I don't need (or want) all the new powders or cartridges on the market, most of which provides no improvement over what I have. Some of the latest powders do give better results overall. But the "new" cartridges are mostly a tune that's been played a few times already.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Amen!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like having paper manuals. Have the new Hornady and the new Nosler inbound as I type. Easy to tote to the loading bench. Easy to open several at one time to compare across companies. Some of my older manuals get gifted to newbies getting started in reloading. A few I keep to have reference for older cartridges that may not make it into the newer manuals.

Finally... What happens when all of the current online reloading content is banned from the internet because it "promotes violence" ? wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkmen1
My newest manual is several years old, the newest powder I have bought is at least a decade old, most have been around for many decades. My most currently used powders, are H-1000, RL-15 and Varget. Oldest is 4831. I believe that there have been "few", that does not mean any, of any advancements in cartridges since the 50s. Many love new stuff, I love tried, tested and work ready. Just my 02.

Good post.

Was using alot of H4350 and RL15. I did warm up to Ramshot Big Game & Hunter a few yrs ago and just use their pdf data download.

Most of my manuals are old, newest about 10yrs? And I have alot of older powders that need loading or sprinkling.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
]
Originally Posted by CZ550
If we take into consideration how many bullets Nosler produces (105 based on the #9 manual), and how many powders tested with a single bullet, and how many shots fired with a particular powder starting at low to high, and all that being evaluated after a series of 5 shots per load with a single bullet (average), to build a complete NEW manual from scratch would be far too costly and time consuming!

And they have less that 1/2 the number of bullets (varmint, small game, game, and big game, plus handgun bullets) than Hornady!

Son I think expectations need be more realistic!

When you get to be my age (some will make it, most won't) you are, or will be, more realistic in expectations. Firstly, I don't need (or want) all the new powders or cartridges on the market, most of which provides no improvement over what I have. Some of the latest powders do give better results overall. But the "new" cartridges are mostly a tune that's been played a few times already.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Some of the new powders are BETTER than the old powders. Wider variety of powders give a handloader more options to find better/accurate, mild to wild loads.

We're not talking about a redo of every powder out there, we're referring to new powders--some that have been on the market for 4-5 years and are VERY viable, and in some cases BETTER powders.

I know one thing, this Panic Pandemic has done more to introduce handloaders to the new Enduron powders than a million dollars in advertising by Hodgdon could have accomplished......

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/24/20.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

Good post.

Was using alot of H4350 and RL15. I did warm up to Ramshot Big Game & Hunter a few yrs ago and just use their pdf data download.

Most of my manuals are old, newest about 10yrs? And I have alot of older powders that need loading or sprinkling.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

lol......I have 61 hardbound and spiral bound manuals.......then there are the paperback and brochure type manuals.....

There can sometimes be little tidbits of info found in manuals that are not online. Besides, when starting with a new powder, or bullet, or cartridge, it's nice to open 3-4 manuals and do some contrast and compare.

Just call me a Fudd.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy most of the new manuals as they are a good read. And sometimes new cartridges are added. For instance the latest Hornady manual has the 6.5x57 and 7x64 cartridges. Nosler has the .257 Ackley. I have a big pile of manuals by my chair and flick through them when the crappy ads are on the tv.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with everything said about the #9 deleting classic cartridges and not including some of the new powders, however I appreciate finding everything I need with their online manual.

That said, yesterday I picked up the Lyman 50th and immediately noticed H4350 conspicuously absent. It lists AA4350 and IMR4350, but no H, a powder I luckily have a lot of. Guess I’ll be extrapolating starting loads from the other 4350s. Anyone have a secret formula for figuring H4350 loads from AA4350 and IMR4350? Looks like all three are within .5 to 1.5 grains of each other for a given bullet/cartridge combo.

Thanks

Lou

NRA Benefactor member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 56 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.