Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am getting ready to stick my toe in the Bullet Casting arena. Have a few questions...

1) Have several hundred pounds of what I believe to be dead soft lead in the form of old water pipes. Also have a turkey fryer burner and cast lead pots. From what I have read, my assumption is that I would probably be better off melting the lead pipe in the lead pots, scrape off the dross, and then ladle or pour ingots. THEN put the ingots into a lead furnace to alloy and cast. Correct assumption ?

2) Lead pipe has been on a pallet rack in the barn for several years. Outside is dry, dry. However, would not bet the farm that there is no moisture on the inside. Anyway to melt the pipe in a manner to minimize potential for steam explosion? eg: All lead in pot at one time. heat gradually? Cutting the pipe into short 3" sections so minimize trapped moisture? Other recommendations?

3) Have also purchased some Linotype. Is there an appropriate percentage / mixture of lead to Linotype that would yield an alloy that is satisfactory for both rifle bullets and pistol bullets?

4) recommended bullet lube for both pistols and rifles? I am not opposed to running a hair dryer to warm / heat the Lyman 450. Would prefer a little harder lube, less sticky vs a soft sticky lube.

5) What is Alox used for? Why do some lubes use it, and some lubes do not?

Appreciate any and all helpful comments !

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are sticking your toe into a fairly complex hobby. In this hobby as with all hobbies, you can get by, maybe, with superficial knowledge and effort and get some pretty discouraging results generally. If you want to devote some time and effort, you will find this to be one of the most satisfying and sensible and affordable areas of your firearm journey. I unreservedly recommend handbooks by Lyman and Lee...to learn the 'abc's', then as you begin to understand the craft, go to 'cast boolits' and read the 'sticky's on every segment from raw materials to pulling the trigger. It will save you years of mistakes and learning the hard way. And ...you will end up with useable bullets for any firearm, regardless of political regime changes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Already have Lyman 49 and the Lee 2nd Edition book on hand. Need to dig them out. Lyman cast bullet book is inbound. Read thru most of the stickies over at Cast Boolits. Appreciate the references.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you have some time...

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Welcome to the hobby!

1. Thats the way I do it. This keeps the trash out of your casting pot.
2.I would stand pieces of the pipe up in your pot before you light the burner. Any moisture should be gone before the lead melts. 3 inches pieces are not necessary. Whatever will stand up in the pot. 12 inches, 16 inches, ect.
3. Your lead pipe should be dead some, clots to pure. I would start with 10% oe even 20% linotype and go from there.
4. I like the lube sold under the White Label Lube brand. Google with that name or Lars Stuff. He is local to me and makes a good product at a reasonable price. He offers both Hi-temp (hard) lube and soft lube.
5.Alox is just one type of ingredient for one type of lube. It works ok.

Helpful comments in no particular order;
1. Browse through the Cast Boolits site and read the stickies.
2. The link that Digital Dan listed is a good source of info too.
3. Read the books that you have and come back and ask questions.

lightman
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
1. That sounds good to go. Flux and stir right when the alloy goes molten (remember to keep your ladle heated up all the way up the handle).
2. Not necessary if you melt everything in the batch from a solid state; dropping solids under the liquid state creates kabooms.
3. I generally add a pound of type to 20 lbs soft lead and even WW mixtures. I would add some ratio of lino into your lead pipe from the get go/initial melt, if for anything it is a base that works well (WW metal range hardness) that you can experiment with. If you have any wheelweight metal, just add a pound into this mix. This allows for heat treating if you wish to do so.
4. LBT Blue
5. Alox is the standard bullet lubricant going back Pre WWII that consistently worked at modern rifle pressures and velocities. It kind of serves as a yeoman duty, but other lubes today work better and require less to prevent leading, are usually less messy and smoke less.

You don't specify if you are ladle casting or using a bottom pour, or the capacities. If ladle casting over the cooker, I would recommend a thermometer and its not a bad thing even with electric pots.

My advice is to don't buy junk; by the best equipment you can afford. A lot of guys hate casting because they want to do it to save money and end up quitting because it takes too much time. The too much time problem is usually caused by using garbage components and tedious tools.

Good luck and be safe!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Casting bullet can be as simple or as complicated as you want. I began in 1973 with a Lyman 45 Reloading Manual https://www.amazon.com/Reloading-Handbook-Pistol-Muzzle-Loading/dp/0912412003

I had no one to help but the simple instructions of the manual were enough to take care of me for many years. It is not voodoo or magic. Just keep it simple & basic. You don't need to know everything to start. A little common sense will go a long way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
casting is a craft in it's own right. you can get bullets you can't buy anywhere, and size them to fit your specific guns. it's not for the impatient. i started to be able to afford to shoot, with a single cavity lee mould using a pot on a camp stove.

start with one mould and when you start getting a good result, go on to another. what works in one mould may not with another, temp, casting technique etc. there are a lot of helpful sites, but the one i have found most helpful has already been mentioned. cast boolits! also let me tell you , there are lots of ways to flux, just be sure you do it from your scrap so you start with a clean mixture.

wolfe publishing has a good book...casting 101 i think is the title. it is a good resource.

Last edited by wahoo; 01/01/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All sound advice IMO. I would add that acquiring a hardness tester would be invaluable if you intend to concoct your own alloys out of other basically unknown alloys. For example, there's linotype and then there's linotype - I've encountered lino (all of it in pig form) whose hardness varied greatly. Standard conversion tables using lino and monotype will certainly put you in the ballpark but when striving to exactly duplicate an alloy then a hardness tester is worth its weight in gold (or tin, not much difference these days!).

I did a dumbass trick yesterday and mixed a pot full of pistol alloy, for .38 semiwadcutters, and ended up with a few hundred bullets that are decidedly harder than optimal - because I used some small ingots of monotype that I thought was #2 alloy to sweeten the pure-ish lead in the pot. Oh well. Debating whether to re-melt them or shoot them and resign myself to removing leading in the barrel, forcing cone, and throats.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
2. Not necessary if you melt everything in the batch from a solid state; dropping solids under the liquid state creates kabooms.

I’m going to echo this just cuz I’m skeered. In the case of used pipe with deposits, don’t add any of the solid stock to the molten stuff. Start another solid batch in a dry pot.

smile

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate all of the help and suggestions. Spent New Years Eve cleaning and sorting some stuff I traded into. Boiling sizing dies. Read in one of the resources not to use petroleum based oils on dies due to vaporization. What type of anti-oxidant can be used on dies to prevent rust or freckling, without adversely affecting the quality of cast bullets produced ?

Suggestions on hardness testers and best place to purchase ?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
In the interest of honesty, I am hopelessly old skool. So take it with a grain of salt...preservative coatings, sheep tallow from Dixie Gun Works, Fluid Film at any auto parts, Frog Lube at gun outlets. I like sheep tallow because it has so many other uses..from full on bullet lube, patch lube, wood stock care, leather care...and it's dirt cheap.
OK, hardness testers. If I had Gnoahhh's money, I would buy a good'un. But since I don't have Gnoahhh's money, I get satisfactory results with "Mars Lumograph" 12 pencil set by Staedtler for about 5 or 6 bucks on ebay, free shipping. There are a few pages of detailed "how to" and pencil hardness to Brinnell hardness equivalency charts on cast boolits. I am a man of legendary frugality, so you should bear that in mind when considering my opinions.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For a rust preventative I use a locally made product called INOX - it uses lanolin / sheep wool fat and is available in several versions. It is available in the USA.

For a hardness tester, buy once cry once and get a Saeco lead hardness tester.

As a suggestion for your bullet alloy stash, I like to not make finished alloys but segregate into 4 lots, then combine clean ingots to suit what I’m going to cast. This way you don’t waste time and energy melting and pouring into ingots.

Pure or near pure lead - melt, clean and pour into ingots. This generally needs to be melted separately to remove impurities.

Linotype - generally store as is

Scrap pewter - this around 93% tin and useful to have on hand. Tin is a useful alloying agent and necessary to get a nice fill of your mould. It also makes the bullets more ductile.

Range scrap / wheel weights. If you have access to recovered range scrap from a pistol range this can be useful to recover and re-use. The hardness of range scrap and wheel weights can vary somewhat so I like to melt and pour into ingots.

When handling lead you need to be aware of the health risks. One of the guys at our club became quite ill when he was cleaning out the back of the pistol range. There are a lot of fine lead dust particles that can be inhaled when stirred up. Try not to stir up the dust. Also clean your hands before handling food and drink. You see a lot of people at the range that don’t take these basic safety precautions. At a range you are also exposed to lead compounds in primers, so even if you’re firing jacketed ammo you’re still getting exposed to lead.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
JFE, I am just in the initial phase of melting down the lead pipe. So, only one pile at the moment. Pipe. However, I understand the logic of not getting too many different variations sitting around.

Spent a couple hours earlier in the week with a set of lopping shears chopping the lead pipe into 4" to 6" chunks. Just finished my first afternoon of melting lead water pipe and ladling ingots. Got into a rotation with two pots and ended up with a little over 60 ingots over a 2-3 hour period. Ingots from my first melt...

[Linked Image]

I was skimming dross off the initial melt, and then double fluxing. I have a sawmill, so, no shortage of dry sawdust to use for flux. However, even after fluxing a second time, it seemed like I could keep just stirring the pot and have a film of "stuff" form on top of the molten lead. Is this normal? Or do I need to maybe flux a third time ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
that "stuff" may be tin, save it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by deerstalker
that "stuff" may be tin, save it.

Oooh.... I was thinking that old water pipes were pretty much pure lead. Did they alloy some level of tin in the pipe stock?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s normal. Lead oxide, not tin. Don’t lose any sleep over it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DD is right. been 20 years since i melted any lead pipe. still have them in ingot form but no pipe. remember the oxide now. guess mabye i shoud look at the ingots on the back of my stack, they may be growing beards grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cool. That makes sense. Thanks guys !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Oh well. Debating whether to re-melt them or shoot them and resign myself to removing leading in the barrel, forcing cone, and throats.

Or make 357 wadcutters!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.