Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know you guys have done a lot of work with the 9.3. Have you done anything with the 36 Nosler? That's always been the most interesting to me of all the SAAMI Nosler chamberings.

------------------------
John
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
JMH3
I haven't done anything yet. Looks interesting.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jmh3,

As far as I know, Nosler hasn't produced any ammo or rifles for the .36.

I happened across it one day while looking up some other stuff on the SAAMI website. I e-mailed the guy in charge of writer stuff at Nosler, and he said they decided to push it through the SAAMI approval process while submitting some other rounds--just in case they ever did decide to produce it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jmh3,

As far as I know, Nosler hasn't produced any ammo or rifles for the .36.

I happened across it one day while looking up some other stuff on the SAAMI website. I e-mailed the guy in charge of writer stuff at Nosler, and he said they decided to push it through the SAAMI approval process while submitting some other rounds--just in case they ever did decide to produce it.

That's what they told me as well. I was wondering if Charlie had built one or had a chamber reamer. There is some head stamped brass available so a custom builder somewhere must be building for it. I'd be interested in a build.

------------------------
John
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m not exactly sure which case this is based on. But either way, it looks like launching a 250 grainer about 2850 or a 286 at 2700. Thats a hoss !
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
I’m not exactly sure which case this is based on. But either way, it looks like launching a 250 grainer about 2850 or a 286 at 2700. Thats a hoss !
Charlie

Necked to 35 caliber interests me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting to see if they put it into production and what the ballistics will be.

Back in the 90's before he died my father developed a couple wildcats based on the 416 Rigby case cut down to 2.5" and necked to .338 and .35 caliber (.375 and .458 were in the works but never finished). He had Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, CO. build up several actions and one complete rifle, the .35 he called .358 G&G both on Enfield actions (Winchester and Eddystone).

He claimed the .35 could send a 250 gr. bullet maxed at 3200 fps over his chronograph. I have no idea how safe that was and when I shot the rifle after his death I downloaded to what I guesstimated to be about 2900 fps with Nosler Partitions(didn't have a chrony at the time). If Nosler even gets close to that would be pretty cool and with the heavier bullets available they'll have a real stomper for standard length actions.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy has two 9.3x64's, one on a Winchester "Classic Stainless" action. Years ago we were at the range and he was shooting I believe 286 grain Barnes X bullets through the pine box bullet tester he made up. I mean shooting through it, never stopped one of those big X bullets and it flattened a brown bear at about 40 feet. I bet it did.

Would that 9.3x64 be like a 36 Nosler?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My buddy has two 9.3x64's, one on a Winchester "Classic Stainless" action. Years ago we were at the range and he was shooting I believe 286 grain Barnes X bullets through the pine box bullet tester he made up. I mean shooting through it, never stopped one of those big X bullets and it flattened a brown bear at about 40 feet. I bet it did.

Would that 9.3x64 be like a 36 Nosler?

It's interesting you say that, I read the thread title and it was the first cartridge that came to mind.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You don’t have to hot rod a 9.3, just put it in the right spot. That’s why it’s a survivor. They all work.

IC B3

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m actually trying to figure out what to have built. I have a moose hunt booked for 2023 and am working on brown bear for a year or two after and wanted an all around stainless/synthetic medium bore. I have a 375 H&H but it’s a blued, walnut safari rifle. I was originally thinking .358 Norma but when I saw Nosler had a 9.3 standardized and there were reamers and brass available I thought I’d ask. I have various .300 and .338 and I know they will work just fine, but part of the fun of what will be once in a lifetime hunts for me is getting a new rifle a few years ahead and working up loads and practicing.

------------------------
John
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A 9.3x62?

Be something new without necessarily being too brutal for practice.

Me

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
A 9.3x62?

Be something new without necessarily being too brutal for practice.

Great cartridge. Thought about that and Whelen. Perfect for moose. Wasn’t sure about big bears at any kind of distance. I could always load light for practice in something heavier.

Last edited by jmh3; 01/03/21.

------------------------
John
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Originally Posted by jmh3
but part of the fun of what will be once in a lifetime hunts for me is getting a new rifle a few years ahead and working up loads and practicing.

Well then you better build that Whelen on an 03' Springfield action or the 9.3 on a M98 Mauser.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Charlie

jwp,

Nosler also had the 35 Nosler accepted by SAAMI at the same time, which is the same basic case. Both the 35 and 36 Noslers are based on the case of Nosler's original beltless magnum, the 26--though with modifications, such as a slightly shorter body and longer neck, I would guess to hold the bigger bullets more firmly against the increased recoil.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As y’all know I dearly love my 9.3 Sisk (8mmRem mag case), the most useful wildcat in 9.3 I have ever made was necking the 338 Win mag to 9.3. Not very sexy, but a good balance between performance and recoil.
Charlie

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by jwp475
Charlie

jwp,

Nosler also had the 35 Nosler accepted by SAAMI at the same time, which is the same basic case. Both the 35 and 36 Noslers are based on the case of Nosler's original beltless magnum, the 26--though with modifications, such as a slightly shorter body and longer neck, I would guess to hold the bigger bullets more firmly against the increased recoil.

Any idea if 33 Nosler would just be a pass through an expander mandrel to make the 35 John? Or if there were other changes?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno.The case dimensions for both the 35 and 36 Nosler (and of course the 33) are on the SAAMI website, which is pretty easy to navigate. Or at least it is for me! Started using it when the SAAMI specifications book a powder company gave me around 20 years ago became semi-obsolete....

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Thanks John.

They look similar enough to me that you could neck the 33 up and get off to the races.

I like the 35 Newton but it is a pain trimming the 375 Ruger cases after forming.

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.