Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
It appears that Savage is coming out with a new straight pull action that allows for the bolt to be interchangeable for left and wrong handed people. Savage is calling it the Impulse.

There were a few videos on the site when first uploaded, but have since been removed. Maybe they weren’t supposed to reveal so much at once or are waiting for a big announcement.

Here’s a link to Savage’s site

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=impulse

Here are some of the videos found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/x1SVasdjW2s

https://youtu.be/tqryDLwJxgM

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, Savage is at least trying to up their offerings. Looks interesting. I'll definitely give it a look.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage still can't seem to figure out how to make their firearms even fractionally attractive.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Even uglier than usual and now with AccuStupid, the new unnecessary and way too expensive feature no one asked for.

I like me some savages but this is gonna be a $1200 mess no one will buy

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just like the new shotgun that costs twice what it should and does nothing any other brand can't

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that Savage needs to find a different market niche, since all of the possible bolt action options seem to be full of better options. Maybe they could sell the manufacturing rights to the 99 to Ruger and Ruger could spin off a division that only did lever actions, exposed hammer Marlins and hammerless Savages.

Heck, Marlin's X guns were Savage 110 clones, so there is proof that Savage could have improved the aesthetics of the 110s if they had wanted to.

I had a Stevens 350 12 gauge pump gun for awhile, but somebody wanted it more, so it went away. I replaced it with an old, all steel, Savage 30 tthat was twice the gun for half the price.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, it would be a convertible bolt handle, but still RH port and RH ejecting.

No way in hell that ball bearing system is as strong as lugs.
Hope there is a good bolt stop for a bolt going rearward at 2000 fps or more when half the bearings stick in cold weather

Last edited by KenMi; 12/31/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good point Ken. I missed that when I looked at it. Would be okay to do the left or right bolt with right hand eject from the bench, but a no go for me as a lefty if it ejects right side only.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not sure what theoretical problems there are with bearings but the Heym sr30 used essentially the same system and I have never heard of an issue with it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If anything about this concept intrigues you then save up some money and buy a Blaser R8.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm only meh on them from those videos. The one positive I could see is there may be way more chamberings available in this lineup then just the standard boring vanilla ones we see in most LH options.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The concept does intrigue me, especially the no extra cost right/left convertibility, and I'll look into them when they hit the market. The concept doesn't intrigue me enough to drop $4K on a Blaser though.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
At least Savage is still pitching. And not being carved up like the Christmas turkey, ala Remington. Did a quick Google search. For perspective, Vista sold Savage last year for 2x what they just paid for Remington.

A "low cost" Blaser was my first thought. IIRC, Blaser maybe had some issues with radial lockup on their original model 93 rifle? Hence, the newer and more rugged Blaser R8. Hopefully the Savage engineers took heed of that...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It is an interesting design and good on Savage for bringing a new product to market.

That said I would not buy one because simply changing the handle to southpaw does not change the ejection to the left. In the admittedly rare case of an accident, I want all that bad stuff going to my left hopefully missing me rather than possibly taking out my right eye.

That is the reason I shoot, 99+ % of the time, true left hand actions.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I appreciate the effort and at least a company acknowledging us lefties but im goind to stick primarily to controlled feed left hand rifles. Ive recently picked up a left winchester model 70 and several Ruger Hawkeyes. If i wantedna push feed rifle i would go Tikka most likely or i might even entertain trying a Weatherby MK V?

Im at the age or point where i want more safety and dont care for that ejection port open near my face. Because of that ill most likey stay with Ruger Hawkeyes for the forseeable future. About the only thing that would chamge that would be if Kimber started offering lefties.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I appreciate the effort and at least a company acknowledging us lefties but im goind to stick primarily to controlled feed left hand rifles. Ive recently picked up a left winchester model 70 and several Ruger Hawkeyes. If i wantedna push feed rifle i would go Tikka most likely or i might even entertain trying a Weatherby MK V?

Im at the age or point where i want more safety and dont care for that ejection port open near my face. Because of that ill most likey stay with Ruger Hawkeyes for the forseeable future. About the only thing that would change that would be if Kimber started offering lefties.

A true left hand Kimber Mountain Ascent chambered .270 Win would be one of the few factory rifles that would tempt me to go to one rifle for everything...

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by TwoTrax

That said I would not buy one because simply changing the handle to southpaw does not change the ejection to the left. In the admittedly rare case of an accident, I want all that bad stuff going to my left hopefully missing me rather than possibly taking out my right eye.

That is the reason I shoot, 99+ % of the time, true left hand actions.

Very good point that i didn’t originally take into consoderation. I dont think id be a fan of a left hand bolt with a right side ejection. Probably would just stick to the standard left hand actions.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone else get the launch promotion email today ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, but not $1400 nice

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The .243 predator model is calling my name, but it's almost 9 pounds unloaded, without optic.
10+ pounds isn't an ideal weight for a predator rifle.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.