Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 700LH
Nice, but not $1400 nice

looks interesting but at 1400 msrp to rich for me I will stay with my Ruger American

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It’s crazy how heavy these are. You would think with an aluminum action they would have offered a lite weight version right out of the gate, possibly with a proof carbon barrel on it as well since it’s already expensive

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If anything about this concept intrigues you then save up some money and buy a Blaser R8.

Yeah, heartens back to the Blaser R93 and then the later heavier R8. Had both. Quality firearms and very accurate. The concept of straight pull is an excellent one and it’s as fast as a slick pump action, maybe a tad faster if that’s of any import..

However the Blasters’ had collets 360* around the bolt head that opened up like a blossoming flower into the 360* lug channel on pushing the bolt forward into battery position. The “ball bearing” lug system of the Savage is apparently not a 360* deal as there are just a certain number of them around the bolt head. I realize that Heym had a similar system some time ago but comparatively, it seems a little less desirable at face value.

I’m Assuming Savage did their proper R&D. Not sure why the weight though. Seems to be a chronic American problem other than small custom shops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
At least Savage is still pitching. And not being carved up like the Christmas turkey, ala Remington. Did a quick Google search. For perspective, Vista sold Savage last year for 2x what they just paid for Remington.

A "low cost" Blaser was my first thought. IIRC, Blaser maybe had some issues with radial lockup on their original model 93 rifle? Hence, the newer and more rugged Blaser R8. Hopefully the Savage engineers took heed of that...

I researched this heavily before purchasing my Blaser R93 and it’s not true. The one incident of a blow up I found was in Europe and was determined independently to be a hand load exceeding somewhere > 130-140k psi (metallurgy tests).

There have been Win model 70 blowups and that of about every rifle ever made including the Mausers.

ETA: the R8’s action was beefed up to add the big “African cartridges.”

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/08/21.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Orion2000
At least Savage is still pitching. And not being carved up like the Christmas turkey, ala Remington. Did a quick Google search. For perspective, Vista sold Savage last year for 2x what they just paid for Remington.

A "low cost" Blaser was my first thought. IIRC, Blaser maybe had some issues with radial lockup on their original model 93 rifle? Hence, the newer and more rugged Blaser R8. Hopefully the Savage engineers took heed of that...

I researched this heavily before purchasing my Blaser R93 and it’s not true. The one incident of a blow up I found was in Europe and was determined independently to be a hand load exceeding somewhere > 130-140k psi (metallurgy tests).

There have been Win model 70 blowups and that of about every rifle ever made including the Mausers.

ETA: the R8’s action was beefed up to add the big “African cartridges.”

Not surprised that the blow up was a hand load. Also, not aware that the R8 was up-sized to accommodate African cartridges. Everything I have read previously, (admittedly on the internet), alluded to the R8 replacing the 93 due to strength issues.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This European incident got a lot of internet electrons whirling about and soon perception becomes reality for manufacturers, so yes the R8 was beefed up. Was it solely for chambering wide body “African” cartridges or was it in part marketing to counteract the rumor mill?

I don’t know but as I mentioned I only found one DOCUMENTED incident of a blowup. And also as mentioned even Mausers have blown and there was an incident recently posted here about a Win model 70 kaboom.

Rifles are small bomb-containing instruments with the blast hopefully directed through a small diameter tube...but as in all the endeavors of men sometime things go awry.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Rifles are small bomb-containing instruments with the blast hopefully directed through a small diameter tube...but as in all the endeavors of men sometime things go awry.

Exactly, and this is why I think a right hand ejection port on this proposed left handed rifle is a terrible idea

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Almost one-eyed Kurt agrees with you

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Almost one-eyed Kurt agrees with you

Say more. I apparently missed a story...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ruger RH 6mm Tang safety, shooting it LH when you shoot a RH rifle as a lefty your face is exposed to all the gas relief, factory round primer let go a small piece of primer went into right eye 3rd Dr said he thought he could save eye and he did.

The lesson I have learned dont shoot RH rifles LH and always wear eye protection.

Bought a RH Savage A17 17 HMR we use the 17 HMR on Sage Rats in Oregon shot it 10 times every shot could feel powder and debris on my face, boxed it up going to give it to my RH nephew. Semi Auto RH shotguns are the worse for shooting LH. Pump actions I have never had an issue yet! But when possible I want to shoot a LH action from the Left shoulder.

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/09/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I give Savage credit for going outside the “American box” except for the outlandish weight, and hope they have success with it. But as others have mentioned one of the advantages of an alloy receiver is lighter weight, a concept apparently completely lost on Savage.

But as to lefties shooting SA shotguns — as a lefty I’ve never experienced that. I shoot Benelli’s because I can buy a righty and reverse the safety and never get that very hesitant look trying to sell or trade in a lefty.

I suppose a shotgun shell being very low pressure comparatively makes me feel better about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And there are too few lefty SA shotguns that suit my preferences.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

And there are too few lefty SA shotguns that suit my preferences.

CZ makes a couple of LH O/U’s. I own one. And a great pump is a BPS with the bottom ejection and no cast to the stock.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Snowwolfe, I am aware of those. I’ve become as picky an old women with loose dentures in a taffy store.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Ruger RH 6mm Tang safety, shooting it LH when you shoot a RH rifle as a lefty your face is exposed to all the gas relief, factory round primer let go a small piece of primer went into right eye 3rd Dr said he thought he could save eye and he did.

The lesson I have learned dont shoot RH rifles LH and always wear eye protection.

Bought a RH Savage A17 17 HMR we use the 17 HMR on Sage Rats in Oregon shot it 10 times every shot could feel powder and debris on my face, boxed it up going to give it to my RH nephew. Semi Auto RH shotguns are the worse for shooting LH. Pump actions I have never had an issue yet! But when possible I want to shoot a LH action from the Left shoulder.

Appreciate the time to relate the story. Understand why you are hesitant to shoot RH from LH... To-date, have never had any issues shooting RH rifles from the left. But, have never had an experience like yours. Glad it turned out O.K.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

... and never get that very hesitant look trying to sell or trade in a lefty.

That's one of the bigger benefits that I'm anticipating as well. If I want to eventually go to sell the gun, I can move the handle back and not have those cross eyed looks - you want to sell what? You lost me at Left Handed.

Obviously early, haven't put my hands on one yet, but the straight pull as far as working the action is different, and probably nothing but a better faster way compared to a bolt - so I don't have a problem trying one. I've seen others question the strength, but no actual test data that makes any real lab test results - so still watching for indications on what the effect is on strength of the action is. There are already straight pull bolt actions out there - their issue has never been a strength critic, it's a cost issue. Retail is $1400, will be interesting to see what the tag says in the gun shop when they arrive. I like that it maintains the Savage trigger, I like that it maintains the pre-fit barrels, as I do quite a bit of that already. Once I can put my hands on one, I may take one home at this point. More likely to be something like a .243 rather than a 300 Win Mag. I have not seen what the offered cartridges are as of yet. I'm thinking short action, which I may prefit barrel a 250 AI up to it, and then get rid of my right handed 250 AI bolt. Weight isn't a big issue for my hunting application. If I want to take a bull barrel gun to my stand now I don't think twice about it. That's not everyone's situation though, I understand that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m shooting 3 lefthanded Remington 788 rifles with right hand eject. Never had a problem

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Too damned heavy. Rube Goldberg would love that design. Get a Blaser.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So… Anyone have a chance to handle or shoot one of the new Impulse rifles? Looks like the Hog Hunter variant is now available on GB.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks Snowwolfe, I am aware of those. I’ve become as picky an old women with loose dentures in a taffy store.

That made me laugh!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.