Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
I picked up a nice pre safety Winchester big bore in 375 Winchester in a trade with my son recently. I got enough brass in the deal to last me a lifetime. I did find some factory ammo at our local gun store, but only a couple of boxes. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the cast bullets for the 375 from Jet bullets? They are a 265 grain flat nose bullet.

Anyone have any hunting experience with the 375 Winchester, cast or otherwise ? My son did kill a moose with the gun I now have. He was using the 255 Barnes originals.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have not used his 375 bullets, but have ordered several diameters from him. Mostly gas checks. His prices are fair and shipping was good. I believe he makes the order when it comes in. He will make them the hardness that you want as well. He is easy to deal with.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not for that exact bullet but.... have used my 375 win with 265 gr cast gas checks case from a member here(edwin264). They are absolute penetrating bullets. Shot end for end on 2 white tails 2 years ago and never caught either one. Plus minimal meat damage. Loads were with imr4227 and aa1680

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed bear and deer with a 375 Winchester in a Savage 99. Always had great luck with factory 200 grain and sierra 200 grain handloads. Mild shooting and fantastically accurate. They'll shoot 500 yards if you need them too btw. wink

LOL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am interested to see what bullets / loads work well for you.
I recently picked up the same rifle. I have always liked the looks of the older Big Bores.
I still need to pick up some dies and brass. I have been looking for some RL 7 to try for loads.

Last edited by ldmay375; 12/25/20.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have used these bullets. Excellent accuracy and quite hard, giving very good penetration. well shaped for good feeding and a decently wide meplat. Weigh in at about 271 grains with the gas ck.

Last edited by North61; 12/31/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am interested to see what bullets / loads work well for you.
I recently picked up the same rifle. I have always liked the looks of the older Big Bores.
I still need to pick up some dies and brass. I have been looking for some RL 7 to try for loads.

I always liked the look of the big bore too. When I was 12, my grandfather got this rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now it is mine. I also have a few boxes of factory ammo. These consist of the winchester 200 and 250gr loads. This thread is interesting and I'll keep an eye on it, as all I have been able to find for reloading bullets is the 200gr sierra. I ended up ordering 6 boxes of them a while back.. I've loaded them with RL7 and get good accuracy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hey Phil if you want to load up 10 of the Jet bullets to give them a try shoot me a personal message. How did the 255 Barnes work on the moose?

Greg

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Here is the 20 yard blood trail from the 375 on a big doe this year. She was running quartering towards @about 65 yards. Took her base of neck and out back ham. 38gr Reloader 7 with a good crimp. They plow a straight line. The hard gas checks I think would do better on thicker game.

Attached Images
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Full3r
Here is the 20 yard blood trail from the 375 on a big doe this year. She was running quartering towards @about 65 yards. Took her base of neck and out back ham. 38gr Reloader 7 with a good crimp. They plow a straight line. The hard gas checks I think would do better on thicker game.

No issues with that one I bet!

Semper Fi
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by North61
Hey Phil if you want to load up 10 of the Jet bullets to give them a try shoot me a personal message. How did the 255 Barnes work on the moose?

Greg

My son said he was disappointed in the expansion. He didnt find a bullet so assumed they must have sailed right on through with little expansion. Shot was on the long side for a 375 at around 150 yards. Killed the moose but it went a couple hundred yards.

Ive watched a lot of your videos including the ones on the 375 Winchester. Very informative and well done. I have a request if you take them !! Would love to see a Yukon perspective on a straight pull bolt gun! Quick follow up shots might make for a good bush gun if it was reliable !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here are a few other choices. Of the two I have only used 35cal Fury Bullets. They work very well!

https://vollmerbullets.com/

https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/215/.375-caliber

Medics bury their mistakes..
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Dinny
Here are a few other choices. Of the two I have only used 35cal Fury Bullets. They work very well!

Thanks! I hadnt heard about Fury bullets, hopefully they ship to Canada!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by North61

Greg

My son said he was disappointed in the expansion. He didnt find a bullet so assumed they must have sailed right on through with little expansion. Shot was on the long side for a 375 at around 150 yards. Killed the moose but it went a couple hundred yards.

Ive watched a lot of your videos including the ones on the 375 Winchester. Very informative and well done. I have a request if you take them !! Would love to see a Yukon perspective on a straight pull bolt gun! Quick follow up shots might make for a good bush gun if it was reliable !

I worried about the expansion of that bullet as it starts off slow and gets slower. I think 220 or 225 grain might be the best choice but the Hornady is discontinued and the semi-customs are impossible to get out of the USA easily these days.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by Dinny

Thanks! I hadnt heard about Fury bullets, hopefully they ship to Canada!

Give Dennis a call and ask. He's been in business a while and probably has been asked before.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Wife bought me a Marlin 375, from her father, who was a Dealer,(kitchen table FFL), at the time, in 1980. I shot more deer, at our camp in PA.,with that thing, 200 grains, and a great brush gun! Back when ammo was a lot easier to get, I saw things getting a little crazy at the time, and 375 Winchester ammo, kinda heading towards the collector price side of things! So I darn near cornered the market on the stuff, buying all the 375 W ammo, and Brass that I could find! Now I have a nice supply of the stuff, and Have since added a Winchester 375 Rifle to the fold, just in case! Heck I even got lucky years ago in a blizzard with a 300 yard shot, open sights,(25 yrs. ago),as my buddy missed with his 30-06, turned the deer, and I Spined him, and dropped him, and then was able to finish him off! A nice 8 point that hangs in my office today. I love the caliber, and have had great success, as we have retrieved several bullets from carcasses over the yrs. and have had great success with bullet expansion! (Factory ammo)

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No experience with the Jet bullet but the Barnes original came in two or three jacket thicknesses .30", .35" and I think .40" but maybe thicker. The last ones were designed for the .375 H&H and could be what your son used accidentally. The other thing is the jackets didn't have much taper and on some bullets almost closed off the nose. With the right bullet they perform well, if I wanted more expansion I would hollow point the bullet.

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by DBoston
No experience with the Jet bullet but the Barnes original came in two or three jacket thicknesses .30", .35" and I think .40" but maybe thicker. The last ones were designed for the .375 H&H and could be what your son used accidentally. The other thing is the jackets didn't have much taper and on some bullets almost closed off the nose. With the right bullet they perform well, if I wanted more expansion I would hollow point the bullet.

Makes total sense. I never knew they made different jacket thickness's but obviously the H&H would need it. I saw that happen with a 358 Winchester last year on a bison hunt. The guy had loaded some 225s that were not made for 358 velocities. The amazing thing was that the first bullet took the bison off her feet. She never got up. We found the bullet and you could have reloaded it. No expansion at all, even on the nose.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I think the 255 FN was only made in one thickness as it was designed for the 38-55 or 375 Win. When launches at 1900fps it doesnt have much speed at 150 yards or so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.