Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Texson2
How many of us can go off 30 miles into the Bush and live off the land for three weeks?

Unless you’re in Alaska, none of us. There’s NOWHERE in the contiguous 48 states much more than 10 miles from the nearest road. If you find a spot that is, post up the coordinates.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MattMan
How many of us can go off 30 miles into the Bush and live off the land for three weeks?

Unless you’re in Alaska, none of us. There’s NOWHERE in the contiguous 48 states much more than 10 miles from the nearest road. If you find a spot that is, post up the coordinates.

there is down here the ranches he poached are huge the King is over 800,000 acres, forgot how big the Kennedy is. easy to get that far from a paved main road, there will be ranch rds but if you're in there poaching you're not going near them, he went in on foot with his gear in a backpack.

Last edited by stxhunter; 12/31/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
MattMan is spot on. Huge ranches...but not contiguous to that extent. No way you are going 30 miles into the bush in the lower 48.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter

there is down here the ranches he poached are huge the King is over 800,000 acres, forgot how big the Kennedy is. easy to get that far from a paved main road, there will be ranch rds but if you're in there poaching you're not going near them, he went in on foot with his gear in a backpack.

Post it up. If you’re 15 miles in, you went in the wrong f’n way. And other than western states, you probably crossed a road.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
MattMan is spot on. Huge ranches...but not contiguous to that extent. No way you are going 30 miles into the bush in the lower 48.

You can get pretty close in th Frank Church, plus its steeper than a cows face.....about as remote as it gets.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave
I would love to kill some off the record bucks.

Can we start at rio7's place?

Just go nine miles in on foot and avoid detection for up to three weeks at a time.

Makes for interesting reading.

There are plenty of places in the United States that you can do that legally.

I don't see any point in his endeavor.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Just go nine miles in on foot and avoid detection for up to three weeks at a time.

Remote trail cams would make it more difficult now. The same with thermal from a chopper. I have looked down in heavy timber from a chopper with a thermal scope. Heat signatures are fairly easy to see.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, is this fellow in prison, still poaching, living the dream, what?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atse

Remote trail cams would make it more difficult now. The same with thermal from a chopper. I have looked down in heavy timber from a chopper with a thermal scope. Heat signatures are fairly easy to see.
they used choppers with thermal to try to find him at night he had a foil-lined tarp he would sleep under. wouldn't build fires.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ya, I saw that. He was hard core for sure. I wonder if the thermal capabilities have improved since then? Not sure when he was hunting those ranches last.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In an area with almost no public land to speak of amid huge landholdings I would guess that hopping fences was not an uncommon practice among the local working class stiffs. As noted, before the era of trail cams and thermal cameras.

Heck, we have had poachers going after deer and hogs with firearms, crossbows, bows and even dogs well inside the city limits right here in San Antonio along the undeveloped flood plains.

With respect to antlers it does seem a puzzle to me that people would run big risks and/or pay serious money while obsessing over large antlers but, since I once drove 2,000+ miles to find a Connecticut warbler I ain’t gonna judge 🙂

If ya wanna hate on that Prince of Poachers guy IIRC from reading his book years back he also poached on at least one occasion in West Texas and New Mexico (unless that was another book, pretty sure it was him).

Jimmy Buffet sang about smuggling weed, in “Rocky Top” Lynn Anderson sung about murdering strangers and Federal Agents to protect the moonshine trade (when I first heard that song on Hee Haw it made my blood run cold grin ) I’m pretty sure most everyone who likes those songs is against weed smuggling and murder.

The appeal of the Poachers guy is his extraordinary feats of endurance, hunting and woodcraft as well as the snapshots of life in South Texas.

Doesn’t mean ya gotta approve of what he did or feel bad that he got caught. Seems like he sure got off light.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, I saw that. He was hard core for sure. I wonder if the thermal capabilities have improved since then? Not sure when he was hunting those ranches last.

`````````````````70s and 80s into the early 90s if I remember right, 6yr break in there.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

In an area with almost no public land to speak of amid huge landholdings I would guess that hopping fences was not an uncommon practice among the local working class stiffs. As noted, before the era of trail cams and thermal cameras.

Heck, we have had poachers going after deer and hogs with firearms, crossbows, bows and even dogs well inside the city limits right here in San Antonio along the undeveloped flood plains.

With respect to antlers it does seem a puzzle to me that people would run big risks and/or pay serious money while obsessing over large antlers but, since I once drove 2,000+ miles to find a Connecticut warbler I ain’t gonna judge 🙂

If ya wanna hate on that Prince of Poachers guy IIRC from reading his book years back he also poached on at least one occasion in West Texas and New Mexico (unless that was another book, pretty sure it was him).

Jimmy Buffet sang about smuggling weed, in “Rocky Top” Lynn Anderson sung about murdering strangers and Federal Agents to protect the moonshine trade (when I first heard that song on Hee Haw it made my blood run cold grin ) I’m pretty sure most everyone who likes those songs is against weed smuggling and murder.

The appeal of the Poachers guy is his extraordinary feats of endurance, hunting and woodcraft as well as the snapshots of life in South Texas.

Doesn’t mean ya gotta approve of what he did or feel bad that he got caught. Seems like he sure got off light.

^^^^This

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter

`````````````````70s and 80s into the early 90s if I remember right, 6yr break in there.

Of course it could go both ways. Imagine if he would have has an accurate suppressed rifle, and thermal, or night vision of his own. The sky would have been the limit.....practically was anyway.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Bob Marshall Wilderness for starters.

I would think you could in the CMR as well.

Guess it also depends on how you define roads. There are expanses in the high desert that are miles and miles from a county road, let alone a state highway. There may be old 2 tracks or ranch trails, but a long ways from a road.

I would suppose you could also get that far away from roads in ynp.

Last edited by Tarkio; 01/01/21.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

lol

Where do you live/hunt?

MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
living down there, i think you could get 15 miles EASY from a paved road especially east of 77 in the sand country but i doubt a ranch road or 2 track.
i know i went in there once with an employee to fish the laguna madre and we went thru 31 gates before we smelled salt and it was a few hours carefully observing the ranch speed limit

used to be lots of guys slip into them ranches when i was a young man in the 80-90's but i dont know about now too many border patrol and oil field traffic. folks who arent from there cant understand theres familys that own land far as you can see and a 10k acre place is a "hobby ranch"

some of those familys and ranches even thoink they own the tide flats and navigable waters and patrol it as such, the game wardens pretty much do what the ranches say in exchange for a few trips a year

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't even find the book on Ebay, does anyone have any ideas on where I might find a copy of the book?

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Bob Marshall Wilderness for starters.

I would think you could in the CMR as well.

Guess it also depends on how you define roads. There are expanses in the high desert that are miles and miles from a county road, let alone a state highway. There may be old 2 tracks or ranch trails, but a long ways from a road.

I would suppose you could also get that far away from roads in ynp.

I would sure like to know where a person could get 10 miles from a road in the CMR. 3-5 maybe depending on how roads are counted. If we are talking 2 tracks that count as county or refuge roads probably not even that far.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Can't even find the book on Ebay, does anyone have any ideas on where I might find a copy of the book?

try here on his sight. https://princeofpoachers.com/

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.