Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did you .17 that one? Sure looks like it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sure nuff. I think my favorite part of the 17 is that for whatever reason I can always hear that little 25gr HP when it lands. I howled that one in and it came in the back door and busted me. One shot offhand at 134 yards and it was lights out, led her just a smidge too far as evidenced by the broke neck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that's my kind of coyote . DEAD grin good job kid

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sure nuff. I think my favorite part of the 17 is that for whatever reason I can always hear that little 25gr HP when it lands. I howled that one in and it came in the back door and busted me. One shot offhand at 134 yards and it was lights out, led her just a smidge too far as evidenced by the broke neck.

Excellent ....but you have to quit posting pics of that rifle...the lust is strong....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That wood gives me wood!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
That wood gives me wood!

I always figured that's how you rolled.

[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This fugger had been playing Santa Claus in the neighboring houses chimney.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
So much for the Christmas spirit....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Shot one in almost the identical location with my Rem 700 .17 and the Hornady 25 HP just about took his head off... there wasn't much of his neck left and I had a whole car full of spectators watching me- my hunting partners....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sheister

Shot one in almost the identical location with my Rem 700 .17 and the Hornady 25 HP just about took his head off... there wasn't much of his neck left and I had a whole car full of spectators watching me- my hunting partners....

I’m working on shooting up a box of the 25gr Hornady that is from the late 70’s or early 80’s, has a slightly different ogive and nose profile from the more modern ones I have. Wonder if the old ones are tougher or something? I’ve never had one splash, never had one leave a big hole, really no issues of any kind even head shooting pretty big pigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is odd. I can't say I have ever seen a 25 Horn HP from my .17 Rem do anything but put a small hole in a critter, then blow up inside and not exit. I can't think of any neck shot coyotes I have taken with that bullet/round but I am sure I have done it. The only "bad" thing I have seen them do is take the front leg off of a red fox I shot a bit low one time. This includes a lot of thin skinned critters like rabbits, though it'll tear a prairie dog up like most anything will.

I have a few thousand of them left, but they're all manufactured from within the last few years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the time the Hornady 25 grain hp's were extremely predictable and accurate. However, once in a great while when I encountered a coyote, they would do funny things. I always wondered if hitting a bone made them extra explosive as they seemed to just explode and would leave baseball sized holes in one side, but wouldn't pass through. In any case, I got tired of dealing with the constantly coppered barrel ruining the accuracy after 25-30 rounds and needing cleaning, and then moly coating the bullets to extend the accuracy so that barrel went down the road and had a VSSF 223 barrel spun on by ITD. Shoots bugholes now with 40 grain BT's and raises hell with coyotes at much longer ranges....

Just out of curiosity, what is the longest you guys have killed coyotes with your .17's ? I think the longest I had was one that stood around a bit too long at about 400 yards, but I've always considered that a pretty lucky shot given the windy conditions and other things...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 03/14/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought Hornady stopped making the 25 hp's? Last time I tried to find some before I had the rifle rebarreled they were really tough to find and in very short supply...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought Hornady stopped making the 25 hp's? Last time I tried to find some before I had the rifle rebarreled they were really tough to find and in very short supply...

Well I thought so too, but Midway got their mitts on apparently a bulk shipment last year and packaged them in boxes of 500...dont know if they still have any.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T_Inman
That is odd. I can't say I have ever seen a 25 Horn HP from my .17 Rem do anything but put a small hole in a critter, then blow up inside and not exit. I can't think of any neck shot coyotes I have taken with that bullet/round but I am sure I have done it. The only "bad" thing I have seen them do is take the front leg off of a red fox I shot a bit low one time. This includes a lot of thin skinned critters like rabbits, though it'll tear a prairie dog up like most anything will.

I have a few thousand of them left, but they're all manufactured from within the last few years.

Ive only shot a couple coyotes with them. No exits. Shot a pile of grey fox with them and it was pretty dramatic....glad I wasn't trying to save the hides kinda dramatic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time the Hornady 25 grain hp's were extremely predictable and accurate. However, once in a great while when I encountered a coyote, they would do funny things. I always wondered if hitting a bone made them extra explosive as they seemed to just explode and would leave baseball sized holes in one side, but wouldn't pass through. In any case, I got tired of dealing with the constantly coppered barrel ruining the accuracy after 25-30 rounds and needing cleaning, and then moly coating the bullets to extend the accuracy so that barrel went down the road and had a VSSF 223 barrel spun on by ITD. Shoots bugholes now with 40 grain BT's and raises hell with coyotes at much longer ranges....

Just out of curiosity, what is the longest you guys have killed coyotes with your .17's ? I think the longest I had was one that stood around a bit too long at about 400 yards, but I've always considered that a pretty lucky shot given the windy conditions and other things...

Bob

I have killed a few at 400+, without any issue whatsoever. Not sure about the longest shot but am thinking it is less than 500.

It is odd how the same bullets do different things to different people. I have the same issues with 6.5mm ELD-Ms and 140 bergers. They absolutely explode (sometimes the ELD-Ms in mid flight) where others have awesome outcomes, with the same twist rates and appx velocities. Maybe individual barrels have something to do with it as I'll throw 500+ 25 grain HPs through my .17 Rem between cleanings and it never has an issue keeping them well under MOA, nor not working well once the critter is hit, including coyote shoulder bone hits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ive only shot a couple coyotes with them. No exits. Shot a pile of grey fox with them and it was pretty dramatic....glad I wasn't trying to save the hides kinda dramatic.

All solid chest hits or around the edges?
I never have shot a grey (missed one in North Carolina but that's a different story) but they sure look small and fragile. I could see any higher velocity bullet being rough on them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bob

I have killed a few at 400+, without any issue whatsoever. Not sure about the longest shot but am thinking it is less than 500.

It is odd how the same bullets do different things to different people. I have the same issues with 6.5mm ELD-Ms and 140 bergers. They absolutely explode (sometimes the ELD-Ms in mid flight) where others have awesome outcomes, with the same twist rates and appx velocities. Maybe individual barrels have something to do with it as I'll throw 500+ 25 grain HPs through my .17 Rem between cleanings and it never has an issue keeping them well under MOA, nor not working well once the critter is hit, including coyote shoulder bone hits.

You might be onto something there. My particular Rem 700 .17 Remington had an extremely rough barrel. I literally had to clean it every 30 rounds or so if I expected any kind of accuracy to continue- then it would go back to bughole accuracy, for a while. I wonder if the rough barrel was damaging the integrity of the bullet jacket and causing them to be more fragile than normal? doesn't matter now, I don't see myself going back to any .17 cal anything at this point.

Have any of you .17 shooters used the plastic tipped bullets? How have they worked out? Accuracy and game wise....

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I went to a SxS shotgun shoot.

I had a great time, it is really a lot of fun doing things with weirdos like myself that think gun progress ended when they put barrels on top of each other. We had a great crowd with folks from about 5-6 different states and some incredibly fine guns from Germany, France, Austria, Sweeden(mine), Belgium, the UK and the good old USofA(Parkers, LC Smiths, old Remingtons, Fox's and LeFever's who-wee! heady stuff.

The shoot and show were held on a cattle ranch and when the Rancher saw my PM(Predatormasters) hat said that the coyotes have been harassing's his calves and I should shoot all I saw. Challenge on. Being as I was going to a sxs shoot I left the rifles and scoped drillings home. Well I I rummaged through the truck and found three 16ga 2.5" shells loaded with an ounce of BB's and I had a 114 yr old drilling along that I was going to shoot in a 16ga match(it did well). Under my jeans on the coat hook was an old Screery jackrabbit closed reed call, I was set.

I headed out in the pasture with a nice cross wind, a couple blasts on the call and I saw him pop out of the brush about 200 yards out, he came in on a string just stopping a couple times and needed just a little coaxing. At 44 yards just a little farther than I wanted him I felt the breeze on the back of my neck and he locked up like a statue. I knew he wasn't coming any farther so I let her rip, he yelped, went down and took off like a bat out of h--l but slowed and went down about 100 yards out, It took me awhile to find him as I didn't realize he had crossed a deep arroyo but found him about 30 yard beyond, good thing I saw him go down as there wasn't a drop of blood anywhere. Fun way to start the shoot. The rancher was happy.

No name German drilling, 2 1/2" 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R(no rifle ammo along)

Big for a border coyote

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 03/14/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.