Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff, Thanks for all the info Men, ordered an IOCTech Outlaw call with remote and decoy, another question, the big coyote up there with the monster Tom has to weigh 50lbs, would you guys hunt both with a suppressed 10/22 Ruger with 22LR HP's or an old model 70 22 Hornet firing 46gr Speer flat noses at 2900 fps, shot placement? was thinking head shot on either with the 22LR, not so sure about the Hornet.

Thanks Again.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornet would get my vote.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good stuff, Thanks for all the info Men, ordered an IOCTech Outlaw call with remote and decoy, another question, the big coyote up there with the monster Tom has to weigh 50lbs, would you guys hunt both with a suppressed 10/22 Ruger with 22LR HP's or an old model 70 22 Hornet firing 46gr Speer flat noses at 2900 fps, shot placement? was thinking head shot on either with the 22LR, not so sure about the Hornet.

Thanks Again.

Good move re the Outlaw. A friend of mine bought an Icotec Outlaw Dec. 21, loaded Rainshadow lion vocals on it the next day and killed a cougar with it Dec. 23 on his first calling stand. He used it to call a second lion on Dec. 27, which my grandson killed. Rainshadow site has the stories.

Ditto using the Hornet with 46 grain bullets. Cats are relatively easy to kill but pound for pound coyotes are as tough as grizzlies or mt. goats in my experience, extremely tenacious of life. I've killed several coyotes with .22 long rifle and though I have never lost one shot with a .22, the experience is why I don't ever ever choose the .22 on purpose for coyotes. If it is the rifle in hand when a coyote offers a surprise close shot, it will do.

Re head shots: have taken them on coyotes with a .22. A hit between eye and ear when the animal is broadside works. The problem is that we can't count on getting a head shot, or a good head shot anyway. Coyotes hit in lungs, alongside the spine without severing the spinal cord, various other places, can and often do run a loooooonnnggg ways before expiring. Use enough gun.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/01/21. Reason: clarity
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great, thanks for the recs, 22 Hornet it will be, I guess rib shots on the cat will be okay? don't want to football hole the hide, good info on the call, many Thanks.

Where you be Ingwe? shoulda been here by now ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornets and Lucky Ducks work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cats want to sneak in and study. Except for all the times they come in hard charging. smile

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cheesy, NICE! didn't know Browning chambered the little Hornet, or is that a custom re-barrel?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wouldn't head shoot a bobcat, their skulls make for a cool display piece.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and a skull with a bullet hole ain't cool?....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

for the guys that make their own gland lure, it almost required to headshoot them......

Last edited by huntsman22; 01/03/21. Reason: add pic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheesy 's rifle is the Winchester version. Factory standard chambering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Cheesy, NICE! didn't know Browning chambered the little Hornet, or is that a custom re-barrel?

I wish mine was the Browning version, the wood is a lot nicer. Mine is pretty bland. Fun little rifle though. A Browning with box and papers just sold on gunbroker a few weeks ago for $1360.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Osky
Great tips above. We hunt here in snow so it’s easy to check aftermath. I feel just like coyote hunting a huge factor is how quietly you get in and get set up.
Once you bump them, they are not coming back for a while.
Bird noises, small rodent sounds. I’ve watched them come in all thru the open west and even tho your offering a free wounded steak dinner the darn cats will be distracted by every silly movement along their path. Patience.

Osky

Have you ever messed with a house cat with sounds ? Notice when the sound stops the cat stops? I think the same is true with bobcats. Keep the sound going often with smaller lapses in pauses. And I think the bobcat will come much more quickly. All of mine I have been well under 20 minutes. Course these are just the cats that I did see.

Interesting Ky... I have long done control shooting of canines in the west, cats out there were are not my target so I stay with the cadence and variation I always use. Watching cats poke their way in is fun and they make great alarm systems for slinking coyotes slipping in.
Up in northern MN where I hunt cats during season the snows are generally very deep which slows the cats up pretty good in general. We have probably eight milllion or more deer stands on public land, most of which the guys who put them up clear shooting lanes. Lots of options but again, patience. I’ll try your method.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This has to be one of the best, more informative threads I've read on the fire since joining. Thank you all for the information you are sharing.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I wouldn't head shoot a bobcat, their skulls make for a cool display piece.

Shot this guy in the head; still displays alrite. Not normally a head shooter, but he wouldn’t come out from behind a tree and would only roll his head out to the side when I would lip squeak....after about the 6th time of doing this I decided to take the shot.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Was only going to head shoot either with 22LR Hp's.

I like that hole in the skull Huntsman

Ole 270, Thanks.

10-4 Cheesy, still a nice rifle, I like it.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This has to be one of the best, more informative threads I've read on the fire since joining. Thank you all for the information you are sharing.

Yes, good stuff Sig, and a nice break from you know what! my call will be here Wed, when I get back, i'll start the mission.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice hide overlooking your reloading bench Ky221, a nice rug like that for Wife and a skull like Huntsman's for me to sit on the mantle. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have given several bobcat and coyote skulls to science teachers around my area for use in their classes. A local taxidermy guy has beatles and whitens the skull, and glued in the teeth for me. The teeth will fall out unless they are glued in. Especially when they get handled a lot like those in the science classes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.