Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
We are looking for a retirement gift for my brother. He is retiring after 30 years with his police dept. We are planning on getting him and shotgun or rifle for his retirement gift.

I am currently looking at a Weatherby Orion, but others too. What is the opinion of the current WBY Orion? This is not the only one we are looking at, but for the price it fits and I don't know much about it.

Also thinking of SXS or semi-auto if you have anything good to say about some of those feel free to add what you like. Other O/U's too.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2006 wthby Orion made by SKB.....great shotgun, current orions are much different. Will defer to others on this forum for more experienced opinion on the Orion evolution.

I purchased mine new in 2006 and chose wthby as I was unable to find a new SKB O/U locally at the time and knew I'd be getting an SKB with the orion.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Are the WBY's now made in Turkey?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you were to get him the shotgun, what is he going to do with it? Hunt? Skeet? Trap? Not much? Don't know?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can think of a bunch of shotguns I'd rather spend $1500 on rather than a current Weatherby. Start with the guns intended purpose and work forward from there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What’s he gonna do with it?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New Orion’s are Turkish made, pretty sure.

Never shot one, but these look nice for a few hundred more....

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...i-omnium-over-and-under-shotgun/p/p42397

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a really nice A5 if you go with an auto. Classic that runs great. One of the Japanese units with invector tubes would be pretty sweet.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big box stores like SW or cabelas/BP were offering field grade Orions for $800 last time I checked many months ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d like to try a Fabarm L4S Gray Hunter. But I don’t need another 12 gauge semi auto. frown

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I found out my brother was going to spend $1500 to buy me a shotgun, I would slip my sister $500 to donate to the cause with the suggestion that that she say "I heard Michael say he was thinking about getting a 30" Beretta 686".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mag410
If I found out my brother was going to spend $1500 to buy me a shotgun, I would slip my sister $500 to donate to the cause with the suggestion that that she say "I heard Michael say he was thinking about getting a 30" Beretta 686".

Best suggestion so far if going the double gun route.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mag410

This would be my position too.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
We are looking for a retirement gift for my brother. He is retiring after 30 years with his police dept. We are planning on getting him and shotgun or rifle for his retirement gift.

I am currently looking at a Weatherby Orion, but others too. What is the opinion of the current WBY Orion? This is not the only one we are looking at, but for the price it fits and I don't know much about it.

Also thinking of SXS or semi-auto if you have anything good to say about some of those feel free to add what you like. Other O/U's too.
See you are in michigan.Drive down to Jaqua fine guns in Findley OHIO.You will be amazed at the shotgun selection.Worth the trip IMHO.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by coobie
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

See you are in michigan.Drive down to Jaqua fine guns in Findley OHIO.You will be amazed at the shotgun selection.Worth the trip IMHO.
Google them on their website.

G
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
I can think of a bunch of shotguns I'd rather spend $1500 on rather than a current Weatherby. Start with the guns intended purpose and work forward from there.

That is great advice!

There are a lot of nice shotguns out there and set up for different purposes. Hunting vs clays. 12 vs 20.

For all around semi-autos in that price range, take a look at the various Benellis, the Beretta A400, and the Browning A5 and Gold.

Thanks to your brother for his service!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well actually speaking as a person who happens to own several Berettas 686's and others and also happens to own the current Weatherby Orion and has shot both of them a bit, the Weatherby is a fantastic deal for an o/u. Unless you are going to shoot the gun 10's of thousands of rounds a year I would go with the Orion and use the extra money for shells. The wood to metal fit on the Orion is better than both of my Berettas and is on par with my older Brownings. If you want to have an "engraved gun" you will need to go with something else. The Weatherby does have a shiny stock which depends on if that is what you like or not. Now keep in mind the Weatherby is only available in 12g.

The Weatherby is a Turkish made gun and they are turning out some very well made guns for the price point.

Here is a video I did on the Orion. (keep in mind I also own multiple Berettas, Brownings, Merkels, Winchesters and some Remington's thrown in... ) Basically saying that to show I own different brands that are more money and I am not pushing the orion because it is cheap and all I can afford. I like it because it is a quality gun... will it shoot 100k rounds... do not know because it will probably never be shot over 25k rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAALBhyOws

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good video......maybe when they come out with a 20 ga

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd consider what guns he already uses and get one with the same manual of arms

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.