Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Have several knives that have served me well, these are a few of my favorites. Oregon Gerber, USA Browning, and a Winston.
Probabably done more deer skinning and gutting with a slew of older USA Old Timers than anything else.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Western on the left.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I'm surprised I don't see many folks mentioning Puma. I have a Puma skinner that's my favorite. It holds a good edge and can easily be touched up with a rod or stone. The sweep of the blade is great for skinning and the stag handle has a good grip even when bloody. In addition, the shape of the handle helps with "indexing", so you can feel the blade angle/direction when you can't see the blade. It also has one of the best sheaths for a factory knife.

The Puma Skinner has been used extensively followed by the White Hunter. The Hunter's Pal, not so much!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Are any of the current Pumas equal to the quality of those from a few years back?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DBoston
Are any of the current Pumas equal to the quality of those from a few years back?

I do not follow Puma knives any more, but the last time I paid a bit of attention, I was not impressed with the visual quality.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/11/21.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DBoston

There are a couple of different Puma knife lines. If you see Puma IP, it's internationally sourced and generally not as good quality as the Solingen Germany made knifes. My Solingen made Puma Skinner is very good quality and also has a hardness test mark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya

I do not follow Puma knives any more, but the last time I paid a bit of attention, I was not impressed with the visual quality.

ya!

GWB

I've NEVER been impressed.....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Peeled quite a few with one of these....

Dozier Professional Skinner

Also like Gene Ingram's #1 Semi.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks to some help from Judman for putting Simon Stonehocker on my radar, and especially geedubya for helping with measurements and dimensions for design( based loosely on his loveless sheep skinner). Gave Simon some modern artistic freedom, and may have driven him nuts making changes!

One of a kind as of now! Made by Simon stonehocker

Calling it the “Jinks skinner” at my request If you want to order one
S90v
Orange liners
Carbon fiber handles

The spike is the same handle and steel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sheath is so I don’t lose it in the dang woods lol Purely functional

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Thanks to some help from Judman for putting Simon Stonehocker on my radar, and especially geedubya for helping with measurements and dimensions for design( based loosely on his loveless sheep skinner). Gave Simon some modern artistic freedom, and may have driven him nuts making changes!

One of a kind as of now! Made by Simon stonehocker

Calling it the “Jinks skinner” at my request If you want to order one
S90v
Orange liners
Carbon fiber handles

That is a rather unique looking knife IMHO. I could be mistaken but its almost like it has Nessmuk, Loveless, Canadian belt influences. What are the dimensions?

GWB

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’ll Throw a pic of measurements tomorrow. I once again can’t thank you enough for your help geedubya.

It isn’t a replication of the loveless obviously, just maybe a modern Adaptation.

I can see the nessmuk and Canadian as well in it. Skinned two does already. Functionality is it’s best asset!!

It’s not as big as it appears in pictures either

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Knives of Alaska Lite Hunter - Stag
Charles May Malibu Fire Ant

Both are D2, which I prefer.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
D2 Charles May Malibu Fire Ant.
We agree...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shamelessly stolen pic from another member, but this one now resides with me and I see it doing some skinning next fall...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is my favorite set. Made by a guy that goes by the screen name of Tusker, or Tuskbuster, I forget.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buck 103 Skinner.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Robster
This is my favorite set. Made by a guy that goes by the screen name of Tusker, or Tuskbuster, I forget.

Andrew Nunley AKA Tuskbuster

52100 Steel & Weathered Elk (IIRC)

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/16/21.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by antlers
D2 Charles May Malibu Fire Ant.
We agree...!

Seriously love that blade. I ordered two more last month. I don’t know which fit my hand better, the surgical glove or that knife!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been skinning animals since I was about 7. I am now 65. As a country boy I was skinning things many times a year, not just in hunting seasons. I can't say I have or ever had a "favorite". Any knife that holds a good edge and has a blade from 2" to 4" is about as good for me and any other. I can't count the game I have skinned with pocket knives. In fact, if I were to be able to count them all, I'd bet at least 2/3s of all the animals I ever skinned in my life including cattle were skinned with folding pocket knives. Many years ago I found that having an EZ_Lap was more useful to me than trying to find a "perfect knife"

I like good knives and I have about 2 dz, but none of them are really head and shoulders easier to use than any other. To me the ONE thing I want in a good skinner is edge retention. Blade shape and handles angles and so on seem to make no difference at all to me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Knives of Alaska Lite Hunter - Stag
Charles May Malibu Fire Ant

Both are D2, which I prefer.

I've only had one KOA knife and I thought it was terrible. I believe it was D2, which I've had that same steel with other knives with no issue. But that KOA could be sharp as you could get it, but it had no grab at all when you started cutting meat. I believe the issue might be with the micro serrations of the blade edge that make it lack a "toothiness", maybe it's an issue of how it was hardened or tempered.

I've noticed a similar issue with some of my other knifes, where a medium grit stone makes the knife actually have a better grab and meat cutting sharpness, as opposed to sharpening with a fine stone. However, I never found what worked for that KOA knife and finally parted with it.

Anyone else have a similar experience with a knifes grab or "toothiness".

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (007FJ, 7887mm08, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.