Print Thread
Hop To
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thinking about having one built. Any good smiths in or Near southwest PA or close? Or just shoot me some names of reputable flintlock smiths. Don’t want nothing fancy just an awesome hunting gun. May consider a used one if anyone got.

Thanks Roy

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What's kinda budget are you working with??

What constitutes an "awesome hunting gun" to YOU?

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mauser06
What's kinda budget are you working with??

What constitutes an "awesome hunting gun" to YOU?

South of 2K. Like to be around 1500 though. I don’t need all the shiny brass. I like a dark stock, and maybe a brushed nickel or brushed stainless, 36” barrel, not sure if I want a full length stock or not. Probably double triggers unless a single on a high end lock is good then a single is fine. 1:48” twist is a must. Want it to be able to shoot PRB but also Buffalo and Maxis If I choose. Would love it to have a tang peep as well. Just some thoughts. Any suggestions?

Roy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Going to send you a PM.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hi Roy. I am in the same southpaw boat and have also been considering a custom lefty flinter. I am located in NW PA but travel isn't a huge issue. I'm at a similar price point and would like it in 24 months or less. If you find a good recommendation, can you PM me with some suggestions? Thanks and be well. Dave

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the cheapest place I would trust here:

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/leman-rifle

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Interested at what you find. My 9 yo is a southpaw. I’ve toyed with the double flintlock idea but the ones I’ve seen weren’t well balanced. I missed a chance at a very beautiful custom RH. The painful part was I found out after the seller gave two guys enough powder and lead to last a few lifetimes. The Seller held it awhile as we discussed the sale and I worried it was too nice for how I hunt. Kicking myself ever since.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Check out Dixon's in PA. It is one of the most well known ML shops in the country and they have a "Builders Fair" every year with all kinds of makers and enthusiasts. (It was cancelled this year) They also sell guns for builders and will know who can build guns on contracts. https://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Last edited by reivertom; 12/28/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i've been in same market following

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another vote to call Greg Dixon..
Inventory is almost non-existant right now but he might have one in stock...

IC B3

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys talking about custom lh rock locks made me remember this one I have and i would consider selling it. Has both flint and percussion locks, have never used the percussion. The locks and barrel are high quality but both of their makers escape me at the moment. Double set trigger. The barrel is 30 inches 54 caliber I am unsure of the twist but bet we can figure it out. Hooked breech for ease of cleaning. The rifle does have a couple of issues that would need addressed the patch box lid can come open when carrying you can see tape residue of how I solved it when in the field. One of the silver ovals the front barrel wedge goes through is loose and needs to be re affixed. A small chip at the rear of the top tang. Has a makers name Jeff Tebay in 03 or may have been his third rifle? I asked one time here about him and he did reply but so long after my original post I missed the chance to speak with him. I have not shot this rifle in close to 10 years memory says 90 grains FF over patched round ball was very accurate. The original poster has first shot at her.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15591273#Post15591273

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just took a cleaning rod to figure out twist, looks like it is slower than the 1 in 48 the original poster was after looks to be 1 in 66 maybe 1 in 60

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338

I just ordered a Lancaster from them. With a swamped barrel it gets above 1500, closer to 2K with shipping. Probably a good value for a hunting rifle done right.
Best bet is getting a Chambers lock as an option. A custom gun from a artisan will be nicer, and cost a lot more. TVM rifles also hold value pretty well compared to a local artist that is not well known.
There are lots of "kit" guns assembled by amateurs that are botched. So a safe option at a reasonable price is TVM.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by 30338

I just ordered a Lancaster from them. With a swamped barrel it gets above 1500, closer to 2K with shipping. Probably a good value for a hunting rifle done right.
Best bet is getting a Chambers lock as an option. A custom gun from a artisan will be nicer, and cost a lot more. TVM rifles also hold value pretty well compared to a local artist that is not well known.
There are lots of "kit" guns assembled by amateurs that are botched. So a safe option at a reasonable price is TVM.

agree with these, but wanted to add that TVM has a “natchez po boy” option that you can acquire for right at a grand. they really are a lot of rifle/smoothy for the money.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The original poster decided to pass, the rifle has the wrong trist rate for him and is to embelished.

I need 1300 plush shipping for the rifle, if interested please pm me.

Looked for info on the maker, definetly not a back yard builder.

Google up

jeffery tebay gun maker

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.