-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hoping someone with more experience can help me. Been reloading off/on for 8yrs, but no expert, and first time with this case.

Once-fired 25-20 brass, which was formed by an online vendor from 32-20 and twice annealed. Lube neck interior with graphite, externally with imperial wax, pass it up into redding FL die (T7 press) with significant resistance but it goes, then on the downstroke the neck snaps off. Twice sent the die to redding to remove the neck brass, explaining what happened and including a few more cases which they returned sized.

Measured OD of the virgin (formed) is 0.270. The once-fired (Marlin 27S) measures 0.280. Unfortunately i lost track of the few cases redding returned so can’t measure those.

Begs the question, wtf am i doing wrong? What am i not seeing?

Maybe should sacrifice a couple with the expander taken out, see what happens?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you checked the thickness of the neck? Especially where it meets the shoulder?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gonna pay close attention here as I just ordered a MGM 25-20 bbl...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Took a minute to acquire a ball micrometer, sorry.

Measured neck wall thickness at four points around base of neck just above shoulder, five random once-fired cases, found the following. Remains unclear to me. You?

.0082, .0082, .0078, .0075

.0072, .0078, .0081, .0077

.0076, .0075, .0073, .0071

.0082, .0073, 0074, .0079

.0080, .0082, .0075, .0082

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sandcritter
... Maybe should sacrifice a couple with the expander taken out, see what happens?

It would be informative to know how small the neck section of the die is making them.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You may have the size button adjusted too high in the die, i.e. it's too close to the neck sizing portion of the die. Then when withdrawing the case, you have part of the case neck still in the neck sizing portion of the die while the lower portion of the case neck is being forced onto the size button.

Try adjusting the size button a bit lower in the die, but not so far down it impacts the interior of the case.

Also try sizing a few cases with the decapping rod removed from the die. It won't hurt a thing.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe getting the expander ball too high in a Redding die is hard to do, but I haven't a 25-20 die to check out.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TwoCup
You may have the size button adjusted too high in the die, i.e. it's too close to the neck sizing portion of the die.

My first thought also.

Had a similar issue with .300 Blackout dies. There is a small range of adjustment of the expander ball location.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try the Mule Deer trick:

1. Remove expander
2. Size cases
3. Replace expander and adjust it down so the spent primer is pushed out before the neck enters the neck-sizing portion of the die.

This does at least two things for you; first it expands the neck with the case held straight and second it reduces the stress on the neck which may be causing the snapping off.

(earlier I asked about the neck thickness thinking you might have the dreaded donut from necking down and pushing the shoulder back, are the necks thinner and more consistent closer to the case mouth?)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Revisited it tonight. Didn’t have an issue! Hopeful.

First, after cleaning the die returned from redding, i left the expander out. Like usual, first pass in a clean die i make sure it is covered in a thin layer of imperial wax. Passed it into press and there was markedly less resistance than in the past; let’s say, “normal” amount, whereas in the past the significant resistance was an “uh oh” moment. Lowering the ram there were no issues. Did a few cases. Next put the expander back in, and lowered it way down, the button just above interior bottom of the case. I pre-graphited the button, too, instead of relying on what the case neck interior supplied after dipping in graphited bead jar. Anyway, sending the ram back up and back was also uneventful. Then did some in one-step, the die assembled and stem left a bit loose. Running fine.

So. I don’t have a clear, one-variable-identified answer. My gut said as others did, that somehow was getting an interference fit between the die wall, brass neck, and expander as lowered the ram. And that may be, but the sudden overall decrease in resistance all around makes me wonder if redding was tired of me sending the set back and they polished it out or replaced it. No idea, but pleased either way thus far.

Awaiting arrival of hornady case comparator, then will do the rest of the once-fired pile. Shooting a couple old pumps, so hoping to set die to bump just .001-.002” and realize some longevity from this brass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 358WCF, 36 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.