Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Sure do miss them . Kept a lot of useful containers and clothes. But I do remember toward the end they seemed to carry a lot of overpriced clothes that to me just didn't fit into the surplus stores I grew up with.
The local one had a fellow that was a he'll of a good guy , but his temper got him in a lot shiet .dam shame , as he soon found out if didn't matter to the courts who the POS was he shot, DA was determined to make an example of him . And the bitch succeeded , ruined a good man .
Back to the surplus stores , they were the shiet at one time .
Growing up pour , it always puzzled me why people opted for the sporting rifles over the surplus rifles and the ljjes that were told about all of them being junk and shot out .
You could buy several surplus rifles for the cost of a Remington or Winchester .
Christ ! I'm a grouchy MF`er , LOL
Kenneth

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Always owned by weirdos that want too much for garbage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of the 'surplus' is cheap imported crap made to look like military stuff. The authentic WWII stuff is long gone. You can sometimes find foreign made wool clothes that are real Romanian military but finding something that will fit can be difficult.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"Ain't what they used to be" is an apt descriptor for a lot of things now days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ollies has some good stuff.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's large one in Idaho Falls that has a lot of the cheap stuff but also has a lot of real surplus.
Last time I found a couple of surplus air filters (new) for my motor home (8.9L Cummins ) for 25 bucks each best price I have found even online is $135.00
Was well worth a stop.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last real surplus store here was Kopples. They had several stores across so. Idaho. Over time, you saw less and less real surplus until it became the Harbor Freight of outdoor stuff. They went under years ago.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
back in the day, and by that I mean back in the fifties and sixties, military surplus stores were THE place to buy your gear. As the surplus material aged, and the supplies dried up, they morphed into junk stores. In locations such as Columbus GA, where there is a large military base, the stores are still great to visit.

Sam......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A lot of the 'surplus' is cheap imported crap made to look like military stuff. The authentic WWII stuff is long gone. You can sometimes find foreign made wool clothes that are real Romanian military but finding something that will fit can be difficult.

+10 on that. You have to look very carefully to find actual US military surplus. Local surplus store is simply immense, you had best figure on spending hours in the place. That said, every so often an actual nugget appears mixed in with all the crap. I did find a Swedish pick axe that must have been WWI vintage.

The Idaho Falls surplus store is the one I was talking about - every so often they have good stuff mixed in with the China junk...

Last edited by CraigD; 01/02/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I miss them! Used to be a two-story surplus store in Philly, I. Goldberg. It was a young kid's wonderland. This was in the late 1960's/early 70's. Place was packed with WW II surplus and even had WW I stuff. I always came home with some cool finds, but what I really wanted was a WW I doughboy helmet. They had stacks of them for $5 apiece. But Dad wouldn't buy me one. Said " I wore one when I was in the Army and still have the bald spot it wore into the top of my head." If Dad could see what they're going for on eBay now. Ahh, the memories!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I was a kid, there was one walking distance away, and an easy bike ride, right next to the deli (where we'd usually pick up a bottle or can of soda once we made it all the way there) and what we kids called the candy store, which was actually a stationary store that had a large candy section, along with comic books and some toys (we'd resupply ourselves with caps for our cap guns there, and they had those burning snake things and such). The surplus store was called Marine Surplus, and it was its own building, separate from the strip mall it was right next to, and likely predated.

We kids loved going in there and looking around. Me and my cousin bought a couple of knives in there once. I think I bought a Swiss Army knife and he bought a Case Bowie knife that was missing a sheath, so he got a good deal on it. He made a sheath for it later, but my mom confiscated the knife from him when she discovered he bought it. I assume he eventually got it back, somehow. Maybe my aunt and uncle took possession of it.

Fun place for a kid to wander around in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess it's time to reread Pat McManus' stories about Grogan's War Surplus. Those were great...and often true.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About those authentic military surplus clothes that never fit. They're surplus because the militaries never had any troops in those micro sizes. They had real people who wore real sizes. The mini stuff that never got worn is what's left to be surplus.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My best friend and I when we were kids pooled our money and bought a parachute from the surplus store. We had many a wild drag across fallow fields during windstorms with that thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our local one is Smith & Edwards (Motto: We have everything you want - if we can find it.) Used to have acres of belly tanks, odd tank parts, strange containers and such. Now, the surplus section inside the store has shrunken down to a few aisles, but there are still good finds in wool clothes, ammo cans, and insignia. Some mess kits, canteens, and fuel stoves with the occasional find. But really only a shadow of its former self.

Keep in mind that there have actually been wars since WW-II. All of them have generated surplus gear but rules of the goobermint have drastically limited what can be sold off to the public. Much of the "good stuff" has to be destroyed instead. Pity.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The last real surplus store here was Kopples. They had several stores across so. Idaho. Over time, you saw less and less real surplus until it became the Harbor Freight of outdoor stuff. They went under years ago.

Kopples was wonderful

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeanMan
My best friend and I when we were kids pooled our money and bought a parachute from the surplus store. We had many a wild drag across fallow fields during windstorms with that thing.

Oh, yes. Back to McManus and his story about the blizzard. He and Retch bought a surplus parachute. Rancid Crabtree had an old car hood to use for a sled. Rancid tied the chute around his waist and the boys tossed the chute up in the air in a 50 mph wind. It was a long time before they saw Crabtree again but they found some barb wire fences torn down.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Never had any money , but the old fellow got a kick out of my intense searching through stuff and questions .
Since then have owned several different surplus guns and bubba guns .
Most were and are good shooters. All have taken a flying leap in value .
Seemed most responded well to corlokt ammo .
Kenneth

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last "surplus store" I went in had more bongs than surplus

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loved the surplus store when we were kids. Bought mostly paracord, camping stuff, shovels (still have a couple), stuff like that. Damned shame that it was torn down and a Starbuck's put in it's place. Sign of society I suppose.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.