Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Model 90200 HAND PRIMING TOOL that I bought used. And a bit of a mystery. It came with two primer trays, but they both look the same size. Works well for large primers. Not so good for small primers. Was it packaged from the factory with a second tray especially for smaller size primers or with one ( universal) tray to be used for both sizes? I see an upgrade available on the RCBS site, to replace my round trays with a square shaped primer tray w/cutoff, but no mention of small or large sizing. Your thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say the previous owner picked up a spare tray.

There is not additional or different size trays that I'm aware of.

I will say I like my RCBS when using large rifle primers...Not so much when using small rifle primers, Too many small issues,

I suspect this may be why he was also looking for the same answer I am.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The two RCBS hand priming tools I have came with one tray. Shorter small primers can flip over in the tray if I am not paying attention and jostling them. If I pay attention, it has never been a factor. What I don't like about the tool is that there is enough play in the seaters that they don't seat primers exactly straight. One side will always seat a little deeper. It has never been an issue, though.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ok thanks Kenneth and HuntnShoot that will help me stop looking for another tray.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
only issues I've ever had is NONE....

for small primers, you need to use a small shell holder....

I've seen folks who can't seem to figure that out... don't know why...

I have two.. one with 223 shell holder and the other with a .473 base shell holder....

If that is not what you are talking about, my apologies....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Maybe one was modified for Remington 9 1/2 primers? My tool won't feed them because the depth of 9 1/2 primers hang up.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Seafire, I am using the correct shell holders, was just looking at the tray and expected that they would be 2 different sizes for the 2 different primer sizes. No worries. Dave, mine seems to work fine with Rem 9-1/2's sorry that you're not so lucky.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
only issues I've ever had is NONE....

John, I'm glad to hear this. I had one for a whole day before I returned it. Biggest POS I ever bought in my life. Luckily the RCBS rep was in the store that day. I let him know and he admitted to having numerous issues with that unit.

Its either that or my usual luck...if they turned out one lemon out of millions...I'd get it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my old Lee priming tool better than the RCBS. Changing base sizes is a PIA with the RCBS priming tool, IMHO. I bought my RCBS priming tool because the old Lee would not handle the large base of the Rigby. It is set up for one cartridge and will stay that way.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one to see if it was better than my Lee hand priming tool, it wasn't. It came with one primer tray.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
I bought one to see if it was better than my Lee hand priming tool, it wasn't. It came with one primer tray.

Nothing that I have seen is better than the old Lee priming tool. Still have two with spare parts. I hope they last as long as I do.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by roundoak

I have two each of the Lee and the RCBS. I prefer the Lee for primer seating consistency.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine came with one primer tray.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an RCBS hand primer about 22 years ago and it worked flawlessly for 20 years solid. Then I lent it to a mate and bits got lost. He replaced some but I bought a new one two years ago to tide me over.

It was junk compared to my first one. I couldn't get the two black plastic pieces together to fit into the handle. It took a bit of shaving off bits with a pocket knife. Then when I put the shell holder on and tried to insert it it wouldn't fit again. Out with the pocket knife again. Then inserted the steel rod that pushes the primer up and it wouldn't go down when the handle was released as it was binding.. I had to keep pushing it back down with the smaller sized rod every time. The quality control off the plastic parts was terrible. Much worse than the one bought in 1998.

I hope yours works better.

Last edited by Elvis; 01/04/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee I guess I'm just a lucky guy when it comes to RCBS Hand primers....

I own 3 of them... and keep them set up with one, SR shell holder (378 bolt face) , one with LR shell holder ( 473 bolt face)
and the last one is when I bought my Grendel....

I like any thing Lee Makes....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bugger
I like my old Lee priming tool better than the RCBS. Changing base sizes is a PIA with the RCBS priming tool, IMHO. I bought my RCBS priming tool because the old Lee would not handle the large base of the Rigby. It is set up for one cartridge and will stay that way.

Same here and it has not been used since I sold the Rigby.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The round tray is better....a lot better.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The round tray is better....a lot better.

does the newer RCBS use the square trays? or is that Lee

My RCBS hand primer stuff has the round trays...last one I bought was within the last year, when I picked up the Grendel...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The Universal tools use square trays.

I have two of those...one for small one for larger.

I dont really like the trays....the little cut off slider moves too freely.

I bought an RCBS tool that uses shell holders for some 45 colt brass. It came with the round tray.

The Hornaday 45 colt brass has nearly no rim....and did work well with the Universal tools.

I made two switches.....Starline 45 colt has a larger rim....and I just prime the Hornaday brass on my press.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Have you seen the new Hornsby one that looks like the old LEE?
I was wondering if the bought the design and if the parts are interchangeable.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.