Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well our DG stores are out here away from all the townie ghetto trash that goes to walmart.

Respectable white folks, a few to tobacco field mexicans

The folks in there are usually more civil, more polite, they usually are in there directly for what they want. No aimless browsing

No electric lardass carts

1. Beer is usually immediately the right, milk is just a little further. Everything you need is on the first two lanes beside the beer coolers. Little debbie, chef Boy’Ardee, vienna sausages, cheddar bacon pringles,

The other 90% of the store is Comet, toilet paper, white trash cosmetics and fouck, I dont know have never been to that side of the store.

Same here & a pretty good description. That’s why I shops there. Quick in and out & everything I need is on the first few aisles.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
You should make a fashion statement for all the local Dollar General habitues. A well tailored dark blue suit, starched white shirt with French cuffs and tasteful gold cuff links, a handome tie of the day's fashion, and highly polished black Florsheim shoes. Dressed in this manner, the locals will be so impressed they'll want to emulate your dress and soon, Dollar General will be a noted gathering place where all the locals in fine dress gather to shop, chat, exchange local news and recipes, and become civilized friends.

If your tailor is talented at his craft, no one will ever suspect you're carrying a Colt's Govt. Model 1911 in a shoulder holster under your suit coat. smile

Please post a couple of pictures regarding same. wink

L.W.

LW, I have read your post 37 times in an attempt to truly pick up what you're laying down. It's clear you're a man who understands the situation. I ransacked my wardrobe and have come up with 2 options for the Grand Opening. I'd appreciate your input on the appropriate choice. I can always wear the other choice to the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony (I haven't been invited but have no doubt they would love to have me in attendance).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been a DG in the small town (pop. 900) nearest my cabin in rural north central PA, for over ten years.

Mentally-challenged girl torched it several years ago, while it was open for business. Started a fire in the stock room. DG built a new one on the site, doubled the size of the store. Family Dollar had just opened a store, other end of town, not long before the arson job. Local humor was that FD gave the girl a free candy bar to light up the DG. Locals prefer the DG over the FD by a huge margin.

One grocery store in that town and no other grocery within 20 miles. Owner sold out to a half assed regional chain that everyone hates. They only have chain branded frozen veggies, etc. Pretty much everyone now shops for such at the DG, because they have national brand frozen foods at lower prices. Same brand of bread at DG is a buck cheaper than at the grocery..Same delivery truck delivers bread to both places. DG has a larger choice of OTC medications than the grocery and at lower prices.

In the past few years, now a DG about every 15-20 miles or so across that area. Mom and pop stores had already disappeared in most of those small towns, years ago. One village 13 miles to the west, fought like hell to keep DG from building over there. Then their crappy local grocery closed up and suddenly the opposition disappeared.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
A Dollar General grand opening is definitely a black tie event.

Sock, you even asking about this tells us you’re lacking in too many social refinements to count.

Take a few hookers with you, they can fill out employment applications and you’ll be a rock-star in the community.

🦫😬

Dearest Beav, you know I consider you half friend/half spirit animal. The size/shape/build/moral standing of the hooker(s) is still TBD, but I wanna do this thing right. I got one shot to make my mark on this SOB so I'm going to turn this new DG into my fire hydrant so the outsiders know who's boss. Would this ensemble be over the top for opening day or should I save it for the gala?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dubePA

In the past few years, now a DG about every 15-20 miles or so across that area. Mom and pop stores had already disappeared in most of those small towns, years ago. One village 13 miles to the west, fought like hell to keep DG from building over there. Then their crappy local grocery closed up and suddenly the opposition disappeared.

Yeah, I never understood the loyalty to mom n pop community stores. Most of them around here were happy to sell you a half gallon of out-of-date milk for five dollars, and old Grampa behind the counter there wouldn't piss on you or your neighbors if you were on fire.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Next year you'll be able to do all your Christmas shopping in one place, close to home!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Next year you'll be able to do all your Christmas shopping in one place, close to home!

This is a huge benefit I hadn't considered. I've got 8 months until my wife and I's 22nd anniversary; is that enough time to become familiar with the products and services offered at DG so I can make a gift decision?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Now, that's just dandy!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Add a plaid derby and you're good to go.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anybody live in an area where a dollar store has gone out of business?

seems like that would really be a sign....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sycamore
anybody live in an area where a dollar store has gone out of business?

seems like that would really be a sign....

Small town a few miles away had a new Dollar Tree. About a year later a DG was built across the street. Within a few months the 'Tree was another vacant property.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just Like Wal-Mart.

The shoppers reflect the community.
The trash don't drive far to go to Wal-mart, its their local store.
If your store is full of them....It's your community.

Well, that's a rural perspective.
If you are more urban, then that may change things.

I used to haul dedicated for McCrory Stores.
Florida to Maine, Wisconsin to Texas, they weren't all called
McCrory, but they had stores all over the eastern half of the US.
Anyway, I could have described where the store was when unloading the
freight. Even if I hadn't driven there.
Rubbing Alcohol and Douche were the easiest tells.
If there was a case or two for the store, it was rural or suburban.
If it was inner city?
10 plus cases of each!
Must be some nasty birds in the 'hood!

Here, Wal-Mart and DG are our only choices.
Hell, we don't even have a Super Wally.
Ours has very limited food,mostly just some frozen and canned.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 01/02/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last year after Christmas we stopped at a local Dollar Tree to see what they had on sale. It was a total wreck. There was stuff all over the floor and nothing on the shelves was even vaguely in order. It looked like a troop of monkeys had ransacked it. Much of the merchandise was damaged.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by auk1124

Yeah, I never understood the loyalty to mom n pop community stores. Most of them around here were happy to sell you a half gallon of out-of-date milk for five dollars, and old Grampa behind the counter there wouldn't piss on you or your neighbors if you were on fire.

You're right about that. Where I previously lived, next-door neighbors build a small convenience store attached to their house. The next nearest store of any kind was seven miles away, so it was very successful, although people couldn't stand the woman who ran it. I once saw an elderly gent come in for a coffee. Well respected, lifelong member of the community, life member of my fire company. She handed him his coffee, and he reached into his pockets and said he forgot his change purse. She immediately snatched the cup from his hands! I paid for it. Another time, her husband and her brother had made plans to go rabbit hunting with me. Hubby came out to the truck and in a hushed voice, said "Sorry guys, Gert won't let me leave the store."

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wife just got back from DG this morning. $5 off $25 on Saturdays, digital coupons. Her total, before the $5 off and digital coupons was $32 and change. Total paid was $13 and change.

Ours also sells beer and very good prices. Hell, I got 15 Jack Link sticks for a penny a piece just 2 weeks ago. Dogs love them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Little store on the 502 that isn't there anymore. Stopped in because one of the party thought that "Gas Bar" meant that they sold both gas and beer. We weren't fully through the door before the Mrs. announced that we couldn't use the restroom unless we bought something.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have DG, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree near hear.

The Tree is by far the nicest.
But, its in the strip mall and has only been there a couple years.
So it's newer.
But it's well kept.

The DG is old and worn, but decent.
It's a good spot in town, so they just keep using it.
But around us they keep building new ones.
They have abandoned several that were only 15 years old
and built bigger ones.

Not that it matters, but DG doesn't own the buildings.
They contract to lease and the owner builds to their spec.
Pretty good deal from what I understand.

Family Dollar?
Old, worn, not well kept.
Don't go there much.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 2 years ago, there was talk of putting a DG in our community, but for some reason it was put on hold. Mayor told me that DG had put a lot of new stores on hold, it wasn't just the one in our community. There is one about 10 miles from us and it is clean and well run. Slummy described the layout of the store to a 't'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
we call our doller store "the mall"

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Beaver10
A Dollar General grand opening is definitely a black tie event.

Sock, you even asking about this tells us you’re lacking in too many social refinements to count.

Take a few hookers with you, they can fill out employment applications and you’ll be a rock-star in the community.

🦫😬

Dearest Beav, you know I consider you half friend/half spirit animal. The size/shape/build/moral standing of the hooker(s) is still TBD, but I wanna do this thing right. I got one shot to make my mark on this SOB so I'm going to turn this new DG into my fire hydrant so the outsiders know who's boss. Would this ensemble be over the top for opening day or should I save it for the gala?

Sock, you done-did us all proud...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.