Print Thread
Hop To
J
jmv375 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking for recommendations for electronic hunting dog collars ?
I don't want to control the space station with all kinds of doo-dads on the device.
I just want to control my lab from ranging too far after a missed bird and give her a "get back here " reminder.

I also want to be able to hang the control module on a lanyard around my neck. Upland hunting - pheasants, partridge and similar - no waterfowl.

Any advice or recommendations is most appreciated.

Regards
JMV375

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Any of the basic collars that have intermittent and continuous stimulation along with a noise or vibration pager..

Garmin, Dogtra, Sportdog, Tri-Tronics, etc all offer one..

Example:

https://www.lcsupply.com/collections/dogtra-collars/products/dogtra-200c

Last edited by battue; 01/03/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by battue
Any of the basic collars that have intermittent and continuous stimulation along with a noise or vibration pager..
Garmin, Dogtra, Sportdog, Tri-Tronics, etc all offer one..
Example: https://www.lcsupply.com/collections/dogtra-collars/products/dogtra-200c

Good advice. I would add to not believe the manufacturer claims for their working ranges/distances. Yeah, when the units are brand new with fully charged batteries and you're on flat terrain with no screening vegetation in mild weather then you might be able to reach the full distance. But in cold temps with used batteries in thicker cover you might lucky to only be able to reach half the rated distance. So I suggest that one err on the side of getting a unit rated for more distance than you think you'll need.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I have had alot. Garmin gets my vote.

God Bless, Louis

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I can vouch for Dogtra Edge RT. The lone button on the back vibrates the collar. The other buttons are on the front. Dog seems to notice it quicker than the been on the Tritronics I had. By the longest range your budget allows. Listed ranges are line of sight, not over ridges through cover.

Whatever you get, make sure it takes non-proprietary batteries. Collars last a long time. Outfits like Garmin will make a proprietary part and then discontinue making it to get you to buy the new model.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had Dogtra. Now have Garmin. Garmin is my choice.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I started my Lab pup at six months a little over a year ago.with a basic Dogtra. About every day wet or dry with no problems. As.I recall it was $135.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Garmin 550 plus. I like GPS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been running Sportdog for the same reasons you are looking for... I train with it and usually run two dogs off one transmitter... great products.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I used tri-tropics, ran 2 dogs off one transmitter, never any issues.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Just like some people are Leupold crazy, I am a TriTronics guy. I like the feel and weight of the transmitter, the collars with headlights on them are my wife's saving grace when I'm away at night. I don't think I'll be switching. If I did, Dogtra would be my first choice. People love their dogtras. Just not as much as TriTronics.

Last edited by BKinSD; 02/15/21.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
G
I like my garmin delta XC sport collar, pretty affordable and easy to use. When I got my first collar I went with the Dogtra Pathfinder, I use that solely for gps now, trying to use the stim out hunting on your smartphone was problematic. If you want GPS my vote would be the garmin pro 550 plus. Someday I will get one of those with the garmin watch.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tried various collars over the years and the one I have now is My Pet Command, they advertise that it reaches up to 1.25 miles, I have not tried this but I know for a fact it does reach the dogs in the trees and behind hills. So far this has been probably the best one I used.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Garmin Sport Pro has worked very well for my Lab. Easy to use, light, compact, and charges easily, with no replaceable batteries needed.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jmv375

I also want to be able to hang the control module on a lanyard around my neck. Upland hunting - pheasants, partridge and similar - no waterfowl.

Any advice or recommendations is most appreciated.

Regards
JMV375

Hooking the transmitter to a carabiner, and hanging it off your hunting coat works much better than having it dangling off your neck....

And tracking is worth the extra, when the Dog goes rogue on a bunch of Wild Pheasants. 15 minutes gone is like an hour and an hour is like the next day....and could be that or forever....

Last edited by battue; 06/22/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.