-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Grabbed one of these at a Black Friday sale, and glad I did. It was an impulse purchase, but I have no regrets after looking what they seem to be commanding on the various online outlets . Have yet to shoot it. Hoping it throws a decent pattern with Apex #9 TSS and the factory choke. What I will say is that I like the TruGlo peep sight/picatinny rail combo. I like it so much that I wish I could source one that I could mount on a 20ga 870. Haven't found a source yet. Anyone have any ideas other than calling TruGlo?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think I would go straight to the source, at least 1) see if they even make one, 2) get a model number and then Goggle it and see what kind of deal you can find on them.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I think I would go straight to the source, at least 1) see if they even make one, 2) get a model number and then Goggle it and see what kind of deal you can find on them.

Late getting back to this . . .

Yes, I called TruGlo and inquired about the peep/picatinny combo. Turns our it was an OEM request from Remington. They, TruGlo, made the request number of product and sent them off to Remington. Unfortunately, there were no 'left-overs'. With Remington's questionable future - for Remington branded firearms - I'm not holding my breathe waiting to see if one of the peep/picantinny rails can be had as a 'parts'.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a peep rail on a muzzle loader. Love it.

Not sure what the hole spacing is but you could likely adapt one to fit. Mine is from EABCo.

https://www.eabco.com/Muzzleloader03.htm

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And nice pick up on the 410! Been looking a a couple for this spring. Kinda liking the CVA Scout but a quick second shot sounds good.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still looking, but not holding my breathe. Took the 870 410 Turkey out yesterday to do some preliminary sighting in. Peep sight is definitely nice at closer ranges, but my aging eyes need a single focal point.

Went back out this morning after 'robbing' a Tru Glo Micro Dot (Green) off of a seldom used slug gun and changing to the Patternmaster Code Black Turkey choke that came in Thursday's mail. Set up at 10yds and started sighting in using some Fiocchi 2 1/2" #9 lead shells to get in the proximity. Moved to 20yds and finally out to 40yds. After getting to 40, and the pattern with the Fiocchi's well centered, I pulled out the Apex #9.5 TSS. Took a WAG as to roughly how much additional elevation I would need due to the speed/payload difference between the Fiocchi and Apex loads. (1/2oz/1250fps vs 7/8oz/1100fps). With a hope and a prayer, I chamber a $5 Apex round, lined up the green dot on the 40yd target and squeezed the trigger. From 40yds I could see with the naked eye that the wad had penetrated the target well high and right. As I walked down to the target I was hoping that the shot had not followed the same path. Such was not the case. The entire payload of TSS covered my 6" target and then some. It was well centered and had a pretty even distribution. Just to be sure I put up another target and repeated the process. The results were the same. I pulled the second target down, rolled it up and I called it quits.

Hoping to get a chance later tonight and see what the actual pellet count is in a 10" circle centered on the pattern. Apex lists the pellet count in the 7/8oz, #9.5, 410 at around 415. I'll be interested to see what percentage of that falls in the 10" circle on the 2 targets I shot.

BTW: 20*F is not the idea weather for patterning a turkey gun - it was chilly. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,744
Posts18,457,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.