Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’m continually baffled by guys that have killed a lot of elk but continue to preach about “dark timber” and the shot that’d get away because of a bullet.

Ever seen a Texas heart shot bull with a Berger? It’ll require a finisher, but you won’t need to do any tracking.

Let me guess, Next up will be target bullets cause too much meat damage on ass shots.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
I’m continually baffled by guys that have killed a lot of elk but continue to preach about “dark timber” and the shot that’d get away because of a bullet.

Ever seen a Texas heart shot bull with a Berger? It’ll require a finisher, but you won’t need to do any tracking.

Let me guess, Next up will be target bullets cause too much meat damage on ass shots.

I've taken that shot but not on an elk. It was a Dall ram, my only chance for a shot as it was about to to disappear over a rise, on the last evening I could shoot one. Which was day 9 of a twelve day trip because it was a three-day "hike" out if we were packing a sheep and our gear.

Which is a long way of saying, anyone who wants to give me grief for taking that shot, save the keyboard strokes, I wasn't gonna pass up a my only chance for a shot.

It was 280 yards, the rifle was a .260 Remington, and the bullet was a 123 grain Scenar. Hit the ram in the hip, broke that and the femur and the ram dropped like a rock.

And yep, it did damage some meat but the little "target bullet" performed as well as I could've hoped.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Judman
As you can tell from these pics, you don’t want em goin to far after the shot. Miles of what you see behind em..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]uncharted 3 desktop wallpaper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Jud,
That thick of a forest exists in Colorado--and Utah-- also. Different vegetation but same effect. And that's where I shot both of my bulls. I go where the elk are, not where the internet tries to dictate.

Cool photos. I've got to watch Roosies in Washington and BC in the past. One of my goals is to bag a Roosevelt. I'd love to get one that has the classic "crowning".

Yep Roosevelt’s are badass, I’ve killed lots of em, got my “crown “ bull couple years ago. Another musket bull.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yes there are places where a guy can set up shop with his long range rig and have a good chance of killing an elk, but they aren't all that common, and even less common on public land outside of very limited hunting units, and even then the elk get the idea within a day or two of being shot at. I've hunted and killed elk in most of the Rocky Mountain states, the dry side of Oregon, and BC. Wherever I go, whatever I have been told or read, elk are creatures of the timber. That two inch group doesn't mean much at less than 300 yds, and the big majority of elk are encountered at those ranges.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics of the "Wall Of Shame" on the gable end of our shop of dead, UNRECOVERED elk found in GMU 61 and 62, all of them within a 30-40 minute hike of our high country place. Many of them were fresh enough to see the bullet entrance and most were shot in the front half. Two of them were fresh enough I've done "bullet necropsies" on. In both cases the bullet went "splat". I have a friend who in the past 3 years has found a 340 and 365 B&C gross unrecovered bulls in GMU61.

Casey,

Not sure if I'm reading you right but GMU61 is full of long range shooting opportunities on the late hunt. Truman from Delta killed over 18 bulls last count in GMU62 with his 700ADL 06 out to 400yds iirc.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t think anywhere has the type of vegetation, sheer amount of thick shiit we got with the exception of SE Alaska

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What’s the consensus here?

Question: were any elk killed before the arrival of premium bullets?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie

No.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That’s back when everyone pissed any moaned about Schidt Bullets and poor performance so other Bullets were built to piss and moan about their price. It’s a snake eating it’s tail whistle

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

That’s back when everyone pissed any moaned about Schidt Bullets and poor performance so other Bullets were built to piss and moan about their price. It’s a snake eating it’s tail whistle

^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^[[

Plus, if you kill the first elk you shoot......the hunts over. With standard bullets......ya get to shoot more elk! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

Casey,

Not sure if I'm reading you right but GMU61 is full of long range shooting opportunities on the late hunt. Truman from Delta killed over 18 bulls last count in GMU62 with his 700ADL 06 out to 400yds iirc.

MtnHtr,

That 700lb + bull I mentioned? It was GMU61, third season, 1990, and about 15 years later lasered at 480 yds. No rangefinder, no ballistic reticle, no dialing. But I practiced out to 500 yds. That's the exception though, not the rule. I've killed three elk starting from that same spot in GMU61. The other two ended up less than 100 yds.

And I was going to bring this up. There are a LOT of places where I can glass elk, but they are 1000yds, or miles away, or somewhere in-between. By the time a guy makes his way over there and gets to see the elk again they are up close. In the canyon I shot that bull, the other side is so far away my rangefinder won't range it from rim to rim--not my KILO 2000, not my new Leica 2800.

The late seasons on the Plateau are more likely to encounter longish shots because the elk are more likely down in the oakbrush and PJ, but they are also more likely to be on private land. But with the dry, warm falls the past 20 years more times than not they have not been down as low most years (last two falls being an exception).

I wish I could think of the guy's name, but he was out of Delta and in the 80's and 90's when the 4th season was an OTC tag he killed some impressive bulls in GMU 62 west of Delta off the Delta-Nucla Rd. He worked with a friend of mine at the Meadow Gold processing plant.

In the 49 years I've been hunting elk, I've killed two elk 400 yds or more, two elk 300 yds or more. I've killed roughly 25 elk at less than a 100 yds, the rest somewhere in-between. The funny thing is since I started carrying a rangefinder 10+ years ago the only time I've ever used it was pronghorn hunting, and that's only when a rangefinder will reliably laser nonreflective fuzzy brown antelope on fuzzy brown prairie hillsides--which isn't all that often. But the veracity of rangefinders in long range shooting is a whole 'nother subject.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by memtb

Plus, if you kill the first elk you shoot......the hunts over. With standard bullets......ya get to shoot more elk! memtb

lol....... I think there's a lot of guys who unintentionally subscribe to that school of thought!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes they were, and I’d guess there’s more killed every year with standard C&C bullets than premiums today.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes.
I've killed plenty of elk back in the day with factory Core-Lokts and Sierras. The advantage to premium bullets are a guy uses less bullets to achieve the same result. In the end the cost per bullet probably evens out between the two........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb

lol....... I think there's a lot of guys who unintentionally subscribe to that school of thought!
That also applies to a lot of guys who take 400+ yard shots.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is where the conversation gets sideways I think.

We have elk country that getting a 50 yard shot is going to be difficult, and we have elk country that is fairly open to wide open and everything in between. What one uses in one area, might not be what one would pick as ideal for the other. I would assume most every state is the same, and people base their opinions on what they see the most. You put me in the jungles of the PNW and I’d be lost for a while on how to kill an elk.

We’ve killed elk with the .243 pretty handily, but not sure I’d use it in the conditions you see up there, conversely, I’d see the .338 a bit much to put up with in the areas we’ve used the .243.

One thing I have noticed is, everyone’s elk spot is thicker, deeper, farther and steeper than the next guys.

Obviously none of this is directed at you, or anyone really.

I don’t think anywhere has the type of vegetation, sheer amount of thick shiit we got with the exception of SE Alaska

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SLM
Yes they were, and I’d guess there’s more killed every year with standard C&C bullets than premiums today.

Yes there is a lot more. The question is do they find the dead elk before I find it a few days or few years later.

My 90 year old dad killed his first elk in 1956 and he still hunts and kills elk today. He has always carried a 30-06 and to my knowledge has always used 180g factory Core-Lokts RN. Starting about 50 years ago he began shooting elk in the neck because they fell down on the spot. Why did he start shooting elk in the neck?--Because he got tired of chasing them and shooting at 'em multiple times. Relying on shooting an elk in the neck every time is not something I would recommend, but nor am I gonna argue with a 90 year old man......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Our experiences are quit a bit different it seems. Have been around quit a few elk kills and have not seen the loss you’ve seen, definitely not saying there is not loss, but not to the extremes you’re implying. Try to spend a lot of time in elk country during the winters and am not seeing the numbers of dead heads you’re seeing either.

Originally Posted by SLM

Yes there is a lot more. The question is do they find the dead elk before I find it a few days or few years later.

My 90 year old dad killed his first elk in 1956 and he still hunts and kills elk today. He has always carried a 30-06 and to my knowledge has always used 180g factory Core-Lokts RN. Starting about 50 years ago he began shooting elk in the neck because they fell down on the spot. Why did he start shooting elk in the neck?--Because he got tired of chasing them and shooting at 'em multiple times. Relying on shooting an elk in the neck every time is not something I would recommend, but nor am I gonna argue with a 90 year old man......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is a 155 Lapua Scenar from a puny little .308 considered a "premium"?

The elk keep tipping over.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

Casey,

MtnHtr,

That 700lb + bull I mentioned? It was GMU61, third season, 1990, and about 15 years later lasered at 480 yds. No rangefinder, no ballistic reticle, no dialing. But I practiced out to 500 yds. That's the exception though, not the rule. I've killed three elk starting from that same spot in GMU61. The other two ended up less than 100 yds.

And I was going to bring this up. There are a LOT of places where I can glass elk, but they are 1000yds, or miles away, or somewhere in-between. By the time a guy makes his way over there and gets to see the elk again they are up close. In the canyon I shot that bull, the other side is so far away my rangefinder won't range it from rim to rim--not my KILO 2000, not my new Leica 2800.

The late seasons on the Plateau are more likely to encounter longish shots because the elk are more likely down in the oakbrush and PJ, but they are also more likely to be on private land. But with the dry, warm falls the past 20 years more times than not they have not been down as low most years (last two falls being an exception).

I wish I could think of the guy's name, but he was out of Delta and in the 80's and 90's when the 4th season was an OTC tag he killed some impressive bulls in GMU 62 west of Delta off the Delta-Nucla Rd. He worked with a friend of mine at the Meadow Gold processing plant.

In the 49 years I've been hunting elk, I've killed two elk 400 yds or more, two elk 300 yds or more. I've killed roughly 25 elk at less than a 100 yds, the rest somewhere in-between. The funny thing is since I started carrying a rangefinder 10+ years ago the only time I've ever used it was pronghorn hunting, and that's only when a rangefinder will reliably laser nonreflective fuzzy brown antelope on fuzzy brown prairie hillsides--which isn't all that often. But the veracity of rangefinders in long range shooting is a whole 'nother subject.

Case,

You're pretty much spot on with my experience there. 30/06 150gr GMX, CNS at 308yds off the shooting stix. Saw alot of bulls btw, this was second best I saw.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I'll add I ran into one the Weimer ranch hands afterwards in town and he said they had a tough time filling tags.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

SLM,
I have a pair of 243's that have accounted for 14 elk, all of them with 100g NPt's. That combo kills elk as readily as any other cartridge I've seen, although I would think twice about a Portuguese Brain Shot.

And yes, a guy can find elk out in the open but as I wrote previously, elk will head to refuge once they have been pressured. Most hunters today are not prepared to hunt elk up close. The internet doesn't preach it, and equipment seems to dictate something different.

When I first started guiding one outfitter I worked for drew a lot of hunters out of the upper midwest. Those guys were mostly older than me and knew how to still hunt in the timber. As JB mentioned in one of his GG books, as whitetail populations exploded hunters learned to take a stand and let the deer come to them. By the 90's nobody I guided was prepared--mentally or with their equipment--to jump shoot an elk coming or going to the spot where we were going to "hunt". A lot of clients missed a lot of opportunities at elk.

And I don't mean to suggest unrecovered elk are laying everywhere I look. My parents live in GMU 61 from May thru Oct/Nov at 9k ft. Our property is adjacent to NF on two sides. I spend a LOT of time up there hiking and messing around, and that is why I find a lot of dead elk. My buddy who found the 365 bull mentioned previously also has a place up there and he spends a lot of time up there too. I don't find dead elk on the winter range, I usually find the elk in the fall when they have been dead a short time. Indeed, I killed my bear sitting over a unrecovered archery bull a 30 minute walk from the back door of our cabin on Oct 5th. I figured the bull had been dead around 2 weeks when I found him. Could've been a blackpowder kill though.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.