Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Dwayne:

I have to say your responses to all questions posed on the fire are generally so well put that it matters little what the original question was.

That said, I thank you for this one which seems absolutely on point to my original question.

Do you have any insight on 4064 or other slightly faster burning powders than the 4895's?

Warm regards from Atlanta, as I sit before a flickering hearth (red oak and hickory mix) with dog at my feet, and I trust you and yours are staying warm and content in your corner of the world.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From folks who should know

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/re...eled-rifle-require-different-reload-data

DOES MY SHORTER BARRELED RIFLE REQUIRE DIFFERENT RELOAD DATA?
We often get this question. In asking, the customer is unsure if the different barrel length will necessitate a loading data change in the powder chosen. Let’s preface the answer with a quick guide on testing data.

All our data is tested for Pressure and Velocity with instrumented equipment as established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI). The dimensions of the test equipment are established by SAAMI, both internal (such as chamber) and external such as barrel length. The barrel length is set based upon most popular usage. Rifle calibers are set at 24 inch barrels. Handgun calibers are set based upon the most common use at the time, i.e. a 45 Auto barrel is based upon the barrel length of a 1911, and a 38 Special barrel based upon a standard police issue revolver.

The first thing to remember is that the chamber dimension does not change based upon application. A 223 Remington chamber is the same whether the gun it is in is a handgun or a rifle. The chamber dimension determines the pressure. So, the pressure is the same when fired in that chamber in a rifle or a handgun. The barrel length has no impact on the chamber pressure and hence the reloading data (powder charge and pressure).

The length of the barrel will change the actual velocity you observe. In general as the barrel gets shorter than standard the velocity will lower, and as the barrel gets longer than standard the velocity will increase. This does not change the reload data (powder charge and pressure), just the velocity.

Please note that there is no magic number for how much velocity is lost or gained by changing barrel length. This is because cartridges go from big to small and use varying amounts of different burn speed propellants. The only way to know for sure what the effect is with your different barrel length is to shoot over a chronograph.

So, the quick answer to the question is that the different barrel length will not change the reload data but it will impact the velocity you get.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by windridge
From folks who should know

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/re...eled-rifle-require-different-reload-data

DOES MY SHORTER BARRELED RIFLE REQUIRE DIFFERENT RELOAD DATA?
We often get this question. In asking, the customer is unsure if the different barrel length will necessitate a loading data change in the powder chosen. Let’s preface the answer with a quick guide on testing data.

All our data is tested for Pressure and Velocity with instrumented equipment as established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI). The dimensions of the test equipment are established by SAAMI, both internal (such as chamber) and external such as barrel length. The barrel length is set based upon most popular usage. Rifle calibers are set at 24 inch barrels. Handgun calibers are set based upon the most common use at the time, i.e. a 45 Auto barrel is based upon the barrel length of a 1911, and a 38 Special barrel based upon a standard police issue revolver.

The first thing to remember is that the chamber dimension does not change based upon application. A 223 Remington chamber is the same whether the gun it is in is a handgun or a rifle. The chamber dimension determines the pressure. So, the pressure is the same when fired in that chamber in a rifle or a handgun. The barrel length has no impact on the chamber pressure and hence the reloading data (powder charge and pressure).

The length of the barrel will change the actual velocity you observe. In general as the barrel gets shorter than standard the velocity will lower, and as the barrel gets longer than standard the velocity will increase. This does not change the reload data (powder charge and pressure), just the velocity.

Please note that there is no magic number for how much velocity is lost or gained by changing barrel length. This is because cartridges go from big to small and use varying amounts of different burn speed propellants. The only way to know for sure what the effect is with your different barrel length is to shoot over a chronograph.

So, the quick answer to the question is that the different barrel length will not change the reload data but it will impact the velocity you get.

All wonderful points if the issue is velocity, or chamber pressure, or the price of tea in China, none of which apply. The question asked is about muzzle blast.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Blu Cs;
Thanks for the reply and for the kind words again sir, I do appreciate them.

There is another powder that John Barsness has written about that will work like the H4895 and IMR4895 in that it's not upset burning at less than optimum pressure.

Most of the modern powders seem happiest when burning at peak pressure which will also give the most muzzle blast. The 4895s were okay burning at less than top end pressure so should and do give less blast.

I'll do some research in my library tomorrow and see what I can find and will drop you a line if or when I do.

We've shot IMR 4064 in the .308, the '06 and the 6.5Swede as well as the .30-30, but it was so long ago I can't comment intelligently on the muzzle blast. Though I don't recall it being any less than say IMR 3031.

I have fooled with reduced loads in a couple cartridges with the 4895s and there was less recoil and blast with them for sure. Interestingly, one was the .308 Norma Mag with 165gr bullets and it made a really nice shooting '06 with it.

Again, I'll take a look as there are more, I'm just not remembering where I put that bit of information right now. Sorry.

Dwayne

edit to add;
https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/02/21. Reason: reading material added

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry. I, too, misunderstood your question.
Really can't offer anything.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Friends:

I've been pretty much a factory cartridge kinda guy for the last 50 plus years. In truth, I have been fairly easily satisfied with something from Wally world, especially if its on clearance (not too long ago, right?!!!) for most of my uses in standard rifles - with barrels from 22-26 inches. All good.

But times they are a changing, and I can see reloading as a realistic option, even if supplies are pretty durn lean.

My question is this: are there powders that burn more thoroughly in a short barrel than a long one? For example, A couple years ago I had JES rebore a .243W to .358 Winchester, and slice the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches. Absolutely love it. My nickname for it is "Steady Eddy" - big bullet moving about 23-2400FPS. Devastating..and checks the humane (DRT) box for me. But the factory Hornady's I bought are prolly designed for a 22" - 24" barrel.

But I have other rifles with short barrels as well. If we are going "custom made" by reloading, can we eliminate belchfire situations where powder is still being burned several feet out from the muzzle when a round is touched off, simply by going to a faster burning powder.

Years ago I read JOC observe that a certain load of IMR 4064 in .30-06 in a 165 grainer produces "no great muzzle flash" and a "farly light report". My thinking is, why not pursue this for short barreled rifles, by modulating the powder type?

And no, I'm not limp wristed about recoil etc, and use full throated factory rounds in medium and large caliber magnum rounds, without concern. Bottom line: the self-made loads dont have to be reduced. That said I'm also not all about wringing the last few FPS out of anything, and think Shaman with his 95% rule of max, is probably highly prescient. Think steady eddy. JB would probably call me a "medium medium" kinda guy.

Which powders to consider? Does caliber really matter? If yes, lets throw out the hypotheticals of .270, 30-06, .338WM and .375 (Ruger or H&H).

Gentlemen: Popcorn, anyone? Fire away!

........................Regardless of cartridge, you load the same way for a shorter barrel as you would for the longer 22", 23" , 24" or 26" barrels. Book listings of slower burning powders that show higher velocities from longer tubes (as an example RL17 in a 300 WSM) also will give higher velocities from the shorter tubes as well. Where velocities are concerned on average, figure about a 15-20 up to maybe a 25-30 fps decrease for every inch of shorter barrel length. In other words from my chrony experience using 2 other buds 300 WSM rifles a few years back and hundreds of rounds for the experiment, my shorty 300 WSM chrony 'd 95.5% the velocities of the longer 24" barreIed 300 WSMs using the same identical handloads. A 4.5% average velocity loss. I own a shorty 16.5" tubed 300 WSM Ruger Frontier (nicknamed MIGHTY MOUSE) which ballistically is a 24-26" barreled 30-06.......As far as which powders burn more efficiently from the shorter tubes? I say do not worry about that at all. Instead, your concern and focus should be what powders offer the best accuracy without sacrificing much if any in the velocity dept from the shorter barrel.....At the range firing max loadings from my Frontier, I notice no noticeable muzzle flash during day light hours. Instead, there is NOISE, a very loud report which of course is muffled with excellent hearing protection. I also own a 375 Ruger Alaskan with a 20" barrel. Aside from powder differences, I do nothing different with my 375 Ruger than with my 300 WSM. The same principles apply......Look in your reloading books and choose your powders accordingly based on what you wish to do based on the velocities you are looking for and just let the noise, burn efficiency and any potential muzzle flash fall by the wayside. If you wish for the lower velocities then use the faster burning powders.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I'm not looking for reduced loads. I want to see if a little faster burning powder would increase the velocity lost from a radically shorter barrel...

This

No it will not

Not always true. Depends on how much barrel you are lopping off.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I'm not looking for reduced loads. I want to see if a little faster burning powder would increase the velocity lost from a radically shorter barrel...

This

No it will not

Not always true. Depends on how much barrel you are lopping off.

Are you sure about that? That would imply that in some cases a longer barrel may actually be slowing a bullet down. Doesn't sound right.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Reading comprehension isn’t real strong here, most are answering a question that wasn’t even asked
A smaller charge of a faster powder is much less blasty, especially in shorter barrels
H4895 is where I would want to be considering your parameters

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Reading comprehension isn’t real strong here, most are answering a question that wasn’t even asked
A smaller charge of a faster powder is much less blasty, especially in shorter barrels
H4895 is where I would want to be considering your parameters

Nice and pithy! Thanks CR!

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
H4895 will be the powder of choice for cartridges with a bore ratio similar to 7.62 NATO and 30-06. It has been tested by the best. There is a hint in there.

W748, W760 and other ball powders with similar burn rates.

Another hint. Gas ports are about mid barrel length in military arms.

Mid to heavy bullets within the particular cartridge would help also.

Bore ratio of the .243 Winchester ? You might have to live with what you got.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This

No it will not

Correct, the powder that produces the highest velocity in a longer barrel will also produce the highest velocity in a shorter barrel.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MickeyD
It's been my (limited) experience that the powder that gives the highest velocity in a 22-24" length barrel will generally be the same powder that gives the highest velocity in a shorter 16-18" barrel.
It's my understanding that essentially all the powder that's going to burn will be burned within the first few inches in front of the chamber.
As the powder is burned it is converted to a gas. This gas then burns and expands until the available oxygen inside the barrel is consumed.
The fireball at the muzzle is the result of powder gasses reigniting as they come in contact with the atmosphere (oxygen), not powder continuing to burn and after exiting the barrel.
There may be a few granules of powder that didn't burn in the barrel but they're generally not a significant contributor to the fireball.

Perfect, absolutely perfect explanation.
Thanks

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To add to MickeyD's absolutely correct explanation, muzzle blast is not related to powder type. It is a function of remaining pressure at the muzzle. Peak pressure is achieved generally within a few inches of the chamber - although burn rate does affect this, it always happens quite soon after the bullet leaves the case mouth.

After that moment of peak pressure, the pressure decreases as the swept volume of the bore increases. An analogy being the volume change as a piston moves down a bore. As long as the pressure is high enough, the bullet will keep accelerating. However, in a long enough barrel, pressure would drop to a level that the bullet would begin to lose velocity and eventually come to a stop due to friction.

Muzzle blast, however, is mostly a function of barrel length. The shorter the barrel, the higher the remaining pressure when the bullet clears the muzzle, and thus the louder the blast. Less time and distance to accelerate is also why velocities are lower from a shorter barrel. But as this is about blast, the bottom line is that shorter means louder.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My question is this: are there powders that burn more thoroughly in a short barrel than a long one?

can we eliminate belchfire situations where powder is still being burned several feet out from the muzzle when a round is touched off, simply by going to a faster burning powder.

The assumption you offered in these two separate questions are the main reason you are not getting the simple answer you seek.

Your first question assumes that Muzzle flash is caused by unburned powder. As MickeyD has so eloquently explained to you, this is simply not true.

Your second question incorrectly assumes the same, that unburned powder is the cause of muzzle flash. You also incorrectly assume that shorter barrels produce more muzzle flas because the powder has less time to burn.

Those here have tried answer your question by first pointing out that your assumption as to the cause of MF are incorrect.
To supply you with a simple explanation as to how to reduce muzzle flash you must first be educated on what causes it, it Ain’t Unburned Powder and it Ain’t the short barrel.

Now if you wish to find out which powders produce less muzzle flash, first forget the barrel length and second lose the myth that it is caused by unburned powder.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Barrel length does not affect powder choice. The cartridge and bullet affect powder choice

Correct.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
To add to MickeyD's absolutely correct explanation, muzzle blast is not related to powder type. It is a function of remaining pressure at the muzzle. Peak pressure is achieved generally within a few inches of the chamber - although burn rate does affect this, it always happens quite soon after the bullet leaves the case mouth.

After that moment of peak pressure, the pressure decreases as the swept volume of the bore increases. An analogy being the volume change as a piston moves down a bore. As long as the pressure is high enough, the bullet will keep accelerating. However, in a long enough barrel, pressure would drop to a level that the bullet would begin to lose velocity and eventually come to a stop due to friction.

Muzzle blast, however, is mostly a function of barrel length. The shorter the barrel, the higher the remaining pressure when the bullet clears the muzzle, and thus the louder the blast. Less time and distance to accelerate is also why velocities are lower from a shorter barrel. But as this is about blast, the bottom line is that shorter means louder.

Correct.

No free lunch.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The issue is not lower velocity, its muzzle blast. The question is what powders to consider.

Less powder less blast. Someone mentioned it IMR3031 or maybe even H335 or faster yet AA2015. But, chamber pressure may be an issue. You will definitely get less bullet speed but if less blast is your target then less powder.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought I said that. I guess maybe I didn't.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why the concern with MF, unless one is shooting at night?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.