Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a V4 3X12X56 with lit reticle. At 63 years old I love it. I’m a set and forget hunter with a 300 yard self imposed max range. After hunting and shooting the last 2 years with this scope and it’s illuminated reticle I’m sold. Bright sun or no light it’s awesome.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a new Swarovski Z3 50mm last week. I usually shoot Zeiss scopes. I shoot without my glasses and Zeiss will adjust out and get clear enough for me to see good without them. The new Swarovski would not adjust out far enough to clear up for me to see good. Long story short my son had one of my Zeiss v4 50mm scopes he had just bought from me he said he would trade me so i did. We mounted both and took them out back after dark to see which one of the two brands reflected more light in. The Zeiss had a slight advantage over the Swarovski. I let him check them as he has much better eyes than i do. Both great scopes but for me and what i need the Zeiss wins out.

Last edited by stumpman; 11/30/20.
I have the Z3 4-12x50 with the BT. It's outstanding in low light if you have the heavy plex reticle. My Steiner Gs3 3-15x50 is brighter, but the reticle is a tad too thin for very low light.

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give life a meaning. ~ Jean-Paul Sartre
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why is repeatability a concern with those ranges? Set it and hunt. The rifle already weighs 8 pounds. Add anything but a lightweight scope and you’re going to have a ten pound safe queen.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by 65BR
C1 - curious, have you compared a Z3 4a, like a 3-10x42 to your DV ?

I have an AV 3-10x42; but never compared it side by side the the DV. For me the 2.5-10x42 Diavari Victory is just the perfect hunting scope under 200 yards and in the woods. The range is versatile; the weight is lighter than you would expect. The most impressive thing to me is the amazing clarity at last light in the woods.
This is my go to treestand/walikng set up at about 7lbs scoped.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Been looking for a Diavari 2.5-10x42 for a while now, they are hard to find. Seems like everyone that used one loved it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
another vote for the zeiss v4 with the #60 illum ret. i'd recommend the 3-12x56 but she is a tad girthy. maybe one of the smaller obj v4 with the #60 ret is the ticket.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Iron_ghost
The Meostar 1.5-6x42 would probably fit the bill. I’ve been wanting one of these myself. Not too much feedback out there though.

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/meostar-r1-1-5-6x42-rd-635/

I also want one of these.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If your only shooting 300 yds max i dont get repeatability as being a main criteria but for excellent bright optics in a sleek lightweight hunting scope the best I have owned are the Swaro Z3's ...I consider these more of a set and forget type scope though....Good luck.....Hb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I love the glass on my Z3s and Z5. However, tracking/RTZ can not be counted on. For set and forget, they have been very good. Like anything man made, they’re not immune from problems ( did have to send a Z3 back). I’ve become a fan of Zeiss as of late. They are stunningly bright and track reliably. My DLs do not carry the same resolution to the edges like the Swarovskis do. FWIW, If the rumored new Bushnell LRHS ever come with illumination, I’d jump all over them as the glass and tracking have been outstanding. I can’t comment on the NF offerings.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have two Z3, one Z5 and a Z6 Swaro and too many different Zeiss to list but include a V4 6x24. Meopta makes a good scope but all of the Meopro scopes I've seen have terrible tunnel effect and I hate that when looking through a scope.

I bought a Leupy VX5 3x15x44 with firedot a while back and took it in the backyard recently to compare with my Swaros at last light. Looking into the woods I can say that the VX5 was the equal or better than all my Swaros at transmitting light but the firedot made the VX5 usable after I could no longer see the reticles in non illuminated Swaros.

I was so convinced in the quality of the Leupy that I bought a VX6 2x2x42 and moved a Z3 to a rifle not frequently used.

The price of a VX5 with firedot is less than half the cost of an illuminated Swarovski Z6.

Unless you use your scopes to hammer nails I don't see the need for a tough as nails Nightforce. I've viewed an NXS and a Z6 simultaneously at last light and there is no comparison...the Swaro wins.

The V4 Zeiss is good scope. It tracks very well and is clear. Mine is the Z MOA illuminated reticle which I don't care for the illumination. The whole reticle is lit and the flare obscures the target at last light, even at the lowest setting. I prefer an illuminated dot like the Leupy.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Consider theSwaro z5 2.4-12 x 50 with a BRH reticle.

Not a scope for dialling, but weight for optical performance is hard to beat for last light hunting. I've never found the need for an illuminated reticle with my high end glass, I can find the target and the reticle well after the time I cannot see properly behind the critter.

During brighter parts of the day the BRH will help you put rounds on target well past 300, easily out to 500 with a 280AI.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nightforce!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Consider theSwaro z5 2.4-12 x 50 with a BRH reticle.

Not a scope for dialling, but weight for optical performance is hard to beat for last light hunting. I've never found the need for an illuminated reticle with my high end glass, I can find the target and the reticle well after the time I cannot see properly behind the critter.

During brighter parts of the day the BRH will help you put rounds on target well past 300, easily out to 500 with a 280AI.

I have same exact scope, it showed me what I needed at and after last light in a very dark place, unfortunately not the buck I needed to shoot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 16 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.