Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Something seems to be a little fishy with current pricing and not just in the 99 world all across the board.

A nice Winchester 94 made in the 50’s bringing north of 5k? I hope whatever is going on does not effect our ability to legally buy and sell rifles. A bunch of new NR bidders or new in the last couple months?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think the closer we get to Inauguration Day the more squirrely people will get. Panic is rampant in the gun world. I was at an auction yesterday of primarily reloading components and ammo. (Not that I particularly needed anything but there wasn't much else to do.) I came home after having bought one item, a NOS Lyman 55 powder measure, not because I needed one but because I got it for $24. Powder and primers were fetching minimum twice retail (for old questionable quality stuff) to three, four, and five times retail (for new stuff). Bullets, at least twice retail. Ditto brass. Don't even get me started on ammo - .22 rimfire fetched $100 minimum per brick, shotshells that should've cost $5-6/box were going for $15 on average, and M2 Ball ammo that I sort of had an eye on as a "strategic reserve" for my M1 Garand fetched around $1.50 a round all day. Crazy.

I talked to an employee of the auction and he said they've enjoyed record breaking profits for their gun auctions ever since the pandemic fueled the political fires.

We stuck it out until early afternoon and left and had lunch and a few beers which was way more fun than watching a room full of redneck preppers doing a lot of panic buying.

Now's the time to sell, fellas, if that's your intent. I think I shall be posting a few Savages in the very near future.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hoarders. Looks like were heading to go out in a blaze of guns, ammo, reloading components and toilet paper.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctw
Something seems to be a little fishy with current pricing and not just in the 99 world all across the board.

Much ado about nothing.
We've seen a few outliers here where it appears a seller hit the jackpot, but whether or not the sale was closed is unknown and open to scrutiny.
No one disagrees that firearm and related sales are brisk right now, however, now's as good a time to play as any.
Buying is easy. If the cost is too high drop out and wait until next time.
Selling is risky. Better be committed to living without that rifle 'cause it may bring a decent amount, the odds of a jackpot are slim and the rifle is gone.
JMO

Is this an outlier? Maybe more of a very nice rifle, but,...
23D Hornet

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gotta wonder how many of these NR bidders actually complete the deal. Are we seeing any evidence they just run them up and walk away??

Sounds like a scam the Alt Left would be all about.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, that's an interesting 23D in many ways, but not so much for 4K!

Check out the bids on his ammo.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing that 35 years of buying and selling guns has taught me for sure: is that this buying bonanza won't last forever.

If you have ever bought a gun as an "investment" with any intention of making $ on it someday, today...is someday.

I recently sold 2 guns that I wasn't attached to and both brought better money that I thought they would. I'm attached to what I have left so I'm keeping them despite the fact that I know I could hit some home runs.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Outlier. Figure maybe $1500-2000+ for the wood and skills of the guy who made the stock, plus whatever $ for the metal work. In the end it is but a 23D Savage with a very fancy stock and not worth it to me, but maybe worth it to somebody with deep pockets and an appreciation for excellent custom work.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Went to a small repair/sport shop to by some minnows, they quit selling them, but the had some ammo there 25acp and 32 acp, thinking I may go back tomorrow and buy a box or two $23.99 a. Box of 50 so not bad with today's pricings.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was at an auction recently and a bucket of 1400 Remington 22 gold bullets went for $325 crazy

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. .32ACP is the only caliber I shoot (in a 1940 Walther PP) that I don't load for. Not worth it for as little as I shoot it, and for as much as it takes to chase the brass in the grass and bushes!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What is an NR bidder?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
What is an NR bidder?

No Reviews Generally brand new to the auction site and highly suspect.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've noticed on GB that alot of the different firearm categories where super high bids and sales occur, there are bids after bids with nothing but NR and bidders with 1-10 wins behind their handle. Does it mean anything? Possible, who knows, maybe, probably not, but sure is suspicious. Maybe just bids and buys by those not knowing what the H they're doing. If it was limited to nothing but AR's and other high capacity firearms, might mean there is a rat in the woodpile, but its going on with C&R's and all sorts of firearms you'd think weren't on anti-gunners/anti-2nd Amendment groups radar trying to put a dent in ownership. Of course, might be part the the strategy. ?? Is this conspiracy thinking? Always a little truth in every situation where you wonder why. Being suspicious and wondering is what allowed me to solve alot of crimes in my badge wearing days.

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Some of this might look like laundering to some?

The ozarks

Last edited by ctw; 01/03/21.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recently sold a Savage 99 and had three NR bidders, one of them bid something like 17 times! It looked like the auction had shill bidders driving the price up but if they were I didn't know about it! There's a whole lot of new gun onwers in America the last few weeks I know that because of the politics.

LOL
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Did you get paid for the auction you were talking about? I recently had one of those as well GB was not much help.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I recently sold a Savage 99 and had three NR bidders, one of them bid something like 17 times! It looked like the auction had shill bidders driving the price up but if they were I didn't know about it! There's a whole lot of new gun onwers in America the last few weeks I know that because of the politics.

Yeah, no foolin' I bet more guns sold down here in California (regardless of what people are inclined to think of this state) than the combined total of most states west of the Mississippi! And it all started with the pandemic.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ctw
Did you get paid for the auction you were talking about? I recently had one of those as well GB was not much help.

Not yet but I've been assured it's on it's way. There was a week or so we had no contact by email so I called him. "Check's in the mail".

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, that 23-D is gorgeous! So far out of my price range it’s a fantasy rifle. I need so much more stimulus $$$$. 😂
I have bought a few things of Gunbroker, but I think it is to crazy for me now. Give it a few months, maybe it will slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
308 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.