Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My vote is Ruger American. I have one in the rancher model .223. Very accurate and inexpensive enough that you are not always worried about it.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The RAR I had was accurate but I had to do some serious work on forend to float the barrel and the stock was flimsy/plasticy. The Sauer 100 I had was accurate but heavy and long lop that was difficult to shorten. The Vanguards I've had were accurate but overly clumsy. The XTR I have is accurate, not too heavy, not too light. The 26" barrel is a bit long but overall a good thing for 300 WM. Trigger needed work to smooth and lighten but $85 is not a bad thing considering...so far my favorite. Accurate is 1/2to 3/4 btw.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Mauser M18?

Great guns for the money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bmoney
The Weatherby Vanguard S2 at 500 bucks is the most for your money. The axis and ruger american stocks are horrendous, the action on the axis leaves a little to be desired. The Vanguards action is smooth, the stock feels like a rifle, the trigger is awesome and they are accurate.

Just picked up, and set up, a VG Accuguard in 6.5-300 Wby. I got it for $729. I hope it is even half as accurate as my Accumark. If so, it will be well worth the money and then some. Just waiting on some ammo to arrive this week to find out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
The Weatherby Vanguard S2 at 500 bucks is the most for your money. The axis and ruger american stocks are horrendous, the action on the axis leaves a little to be desired. The Vanguards action is smooth, the stock feels like a rifle, the trigger is awesome and they are accurate.

Just picked up, and set up, a VG Accuguard in 6.5-300 Wby. I got it for $729. I hope it is even half as accurate as my Accumark. If so, it will be well worth the money and then some. Just waiting on some ammo to arrive this week to find out.

I think you need either higher ceilings or lower floors. Great moose

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Howa 6.5 man bun I have is in a different class than my Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and Mossberg 100ATR.

The three position safety alone makes it worth the extra weight to me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Honestly the list of not to buys is shorter than should buy. Everyone has their favorites. If cost is the primary driving factor, find a dollar amount they can afford, ($550 CAN let's say). Then go with a common caliber with reasonably priced ammo that will take the game you want (30-06, 270 medium to larger game or 223, 22-250 for smaller game).

Last piece scope (or no scope in the case of a light lever 30-30 say). There are other things to consider but but let's stop there. A good quality scope is important. Here again afford what you can, you can always upgrade later.

Me/myself/personally in the "budget" rifle category, I do have several Savage Axis II. These rifles for me represent calibers that I want to own and shoot but I may not take hunting. For me (and I do reload), each and everyone of my rifles shoot .5 MOA or better. There are a ton of aftermarket replacement barrels for Savage (side note nothing against the RAR but if you're interested in barrel swaps these tend to he pricer but still great rifles). There are aftermarket stocks and chassis systems. The Axis II cones with an AccuTrigger that is adjustable and has a clean break and if you don't like it you can always upgrade.

I would be confident in killing an animals with any of my budget rifles. YMMV

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by goalie
Howa 6.5 man bun I have is in a different class than my Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and Mossberg 100ATR.

The three position safety alone makes it worth the extra weight to me.

ALL good choices!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I've never met a VG that couldn't shoot. A problem for some is the weight. I personally don't care about weight but I'm not hiking up mountains. Something else to consider I guess.

@MainHawk that's a beautiful gun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've got a couple friends here who have recently expressed an interest in hunting,and aquiring a proper firearm. Neither is rich, one is expecting his first child and the other just had his 4th, so neither has a bunch of extra money laying around. They have asked me for advice, but I'm a little out of the loop on current budget rifles. I know the Axis is generally accurate but have heard the triggers are awful,mag is [bleep], and ergonomically not very good. Then there's the 783, Winchesters XTR, Mossberg MVP and Ruger American. Keep in mind we are in the people's republic of Canada, so the prices are somewhat higher here. I would like to steer them to a cheaper Tikka or a Vanguard, but both of those are usually about $200 higher than the other mentioned offerings. What would you guide them towards?

I’d go to the used gun rack and look for an older Remington 700 in 270 or 30-06. Better than most new guns, and cheaper. May even come with a scope.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by hookeye
Mauser M18?

Great guns for the money

Great gun period

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HaYen
I've never met a VG that couldn't shoot. A problem for some is the weight. I personally don't care about weight but I'm not hiking up mountains. Something else to consider I guess.

@MainHawk that's a beautiful gun

Thanks HY. I actually wanted the heavier #3 contour bbl on the Accuguard. I don't want to carry any more weight than necessary, but my .340 Wby Accumark, which has the same barrel, is the most accurate rifle I ever have shot. So, I'm just sticking with the one that took me to the dance, and hoping for the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBabcock

I’d go to the used gun rack and look for an older Remington 700 in 270 or 30-06. Better than most new guns, and cheaper. May even come with a scope.

Half my rifles were purchased used and still shoot great. And they were much less expensive than new. Includes Ruger, Remington, Savage, Marlin, multiples of each except for Remington.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/03/21.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Beautiful rig you go there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rig you go there.

Thanks BM. I just hope it shoots. Gotta wait 'til Thursday or Friday to find out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im seeing a small handful of brand new Marlin XLS7s in my area, most in the 329-339 price range

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Ruger American

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Xxclaro, I have had great success with the vanguards.

Some of the husqvarnas on Tradex are nice. All will need some love before they are ready to go.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Curious what advantages besides lighter weight the Ruger American has over the Howa or Vanguard.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best budget rifle I’ve seen is that $500 Mauser M-12 I’ve got on the way. Hard to beat that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.