Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Although my Great-Grandfather and Grandfather (paternal) both lived in NYC, my Great-Grandfather owned and operated a farm in Englishtown, NJ. My dad and my uncles lived and worked on the farm during their high-school years.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dad is a Sheep Rancher. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One. Dad grew up on the farm. Used to visit Grandma and Pop about once a month. Mom would get mad if we kids weren't ready when it was time to leave, because of wandering up though the pastures or playing in the barn, usually with odoriferous things clinging to our shoes.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one, but I filled many a haymows with hay bails, cleaned plenty a calf pens in my younger days, spend many hours driving tractor

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
My mom and dad both grew up on the farm and I worked summers in the barley and wheat fields near Corvallis, Montana. I made my living in jewelry, but my heart never left the Montana rangeland.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None, made a living farming and ranching for fifty years. Retired last year. Boys wanted the place and I gave it to them. Both have other jobs but still run the place.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2 - Grandparents ran a dairy herd and farmed as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one, but I run a Co-op feed store, fertilizer plant, Grain elevator..etc.... Its a lot better havin peolpe take my advice and use their money to see how well it works!! I always dream about ranchin and hayin but aint no friggin way I would be a Dirt Farmer...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My parents farmed and I worked on a farm until I graduated from highschool. Found lots of other things to do to make a living that were a lot easier. But never as rewarding. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None, I still run three farms. Farmers on both sides of the family; dairy, crops, orchards. Have a cousin with 44 acres under glass, growing hot house tomatoes and peppers. I'm the only sibling that still produces a crop, the others were the smart ones.

Tracing the family tree back, we ran out at a farmer / ancestor in 16 thirty something or other. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Grew up on a working cattle ranch in S.W. Montana.

Wayne

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
One on both sides, though my maternal grandfather was a irrigation superintendent so I am not sure you would count that. My first job at 13 was as a field weeder at a organic farm so that may count.

Hit em' Hard

I also rode fence and did cattle punching for a bit when I was 16 or so.

Last edited by fixitquick79; 07/24/07.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
2. My maternal grandfather was a commercial fisherman and a trapper. I had a trapline instead of a paper route!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One or less, depending on how you count them. I lived in a small SD town most of the year and spent my summers on my Aunt/Uncle's farm/ranch in ND. If anyone here has ever seen 'The Ideal Farm' right off the highway between Beulah and Glen Ullin, that was it. My dad grew up on a farm not 30 miles from that one. They were a classic German farm family with 13 brothers and sisters. I even married a farm girl, although it's funny how we both went to college to be engineers and never considered farming as a career choice. My hat's off to those who have though.

Now my boys spend a month or so each summer on the inlaws' farm in SD and absolutely love it. As far as they're concerned, the farm is THE premier vacation spot. I wonder how long that will last...

SD

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Zero, sorta.
Grew on the family farm/ranch(22 years).
Dry land wheat, irrigated alfalfa, corn and wheat and a bunch of cattle. My dad and brother are runnin' things right now. I've been officially out of the scene for about 7 years and only make it back for the big fall round-up.
However I do still run a little bunch of yearling steers that my dad and brother keep an eye on. Nice guys.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two generations for me.
Mom's parents were farmers in Oklahoma and Dad's parents were ranchers in the panhandle of Oklahoma.
Mom and Dad could not get far enough and fast enough away. They were dust bowl and depression babies.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three generations, unfortunately. My dad's grandparent's settled in a beautiful, bountiful valley south of Youngstown, Ohio. They were the last full time farmers of our clan. There are still a couple small parcles of land owned by distant relatives out there. We used to squirrel hunt on the old homestead. I remember my dad speaking of his uncle messing around with grafting different apple trees. I was bow hunting out there one year and stumbled into a very old overgrown orchard hidden out in the middle of a non descript grown over field. I got to looking at the old, ragged apple trees and noticed that several of the trees definitely had two different kinds of apples growing on them. This had to be one of my great uncle's "projects." I haven't been back on the homestead in many years now, (I'm relocated to Minnesota for the last 17 years) and always wonder about what ever became of those ratty old beat up apple trees.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never did a lot of farming, Just put some hay up when I was a kid. A lot of hay. I grew up on a ranch though, hay was just a small part of the big picture. The hay was just for our cattle. Plus we always bought 3 or 4 times more than we could grow.

This question makes me think of a part in the movie, "The Missouri Breaks," where Jack Nicolson is gonna' whip that guy for calling him a farmer. I'm not a farmer by nature, I'm a rancher. Ranchers can fix anything with duct tape and baling wire--A farmer has a nice mechanic shop. We can drive a pickup faster through the sage brush than a farmer, especially if we know a farmer who can put it back together for us.

I'm just a little rancher any more with 23 cows, and I buy all my hay.

I guess it's all still Ag though, so 0 for me.

Oh, I got a garden like Jack was getting ribbed about in that movie though, so does that make me a farmer too? smile

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 07/24/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
My brother, sister, and I are the first, and we worked at it until we found what we thought were better jobs.
We may have been wrong

that was eloquent

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.