Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I have 2 of the Vanguards myself, and like them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used for myself if I found something I like, but I don't think either of these guys would be inclined to shop around for a used gun.

BP-B6

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used is the way to go.

JC Higgins model 50 , commercial FN Mauser 98 action, 270 Win or 30-06. Best $400-500 you can spend on a rifle. Add a $100 Timney trigger and a used 4x scope (<$100, ie B&L Balfour, Weaver K4-1 microtrac, or Japan-made Bushnell Banner)_ and you have a high value outfit that never takes s takes a backseat to rigs costing twice the price.

Howa 1500 -actioned rifles are found under Mossberg 1500 and S&W 1500 labels. Great action, as well as current Howa 1500 and Weatherby S2 Vanguards.

I've.seen interesting rifles lately for good prices: BSA, Rem 788, push feed Win model 70. All were in the $400-450 range.

Of " current new budget rifles," I couldn't tell you. Not too impressed with them. This is a weird time for gun buying. Seems like there are crazy high asking prices, and not much actual selling. Best time to buy a rifle is in the dead of winter. Christmas credit card bills and heating bills come in. Covid19 affected employment/seasonal workers need money. Firearms will likely pop up for sale with interesting price tags.

I just swapped a Marlin 1894 Marlin 44 mag today for beautiful running, low-hour Honda 4-stroke 8 hp long shaft outboard and two plastic tanks with hoses. I got the better part of that deal. Weird times.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A Tikka T3 used would be a good move. The JC Higgins Model 50 is another solid choice provided you can inspect it in person and make sure the stock is not cracked and it is in solid working order.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeez Mr. Hawk, I hope you don't sleep walk!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
R
I like my Vanguard S2 and Mauser M18 and believe these are the best of the budget rifles available. The T/C Compass 2 has a much improved trigger over the earlier version and is accurate. The Compass doesn’t feed as smoothly as I would like but cost a couple hundred dollars less than the others.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
M12 or M18? If really m12, link please?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
xxclaro;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather on your side of the big hills isn't too bad and that all is well with you and yours or at least as well as can be.

Honestly while you've indicated a reluctance to shop used, it's by far the most economical way to get into hunting, especially now that hunting season is over, Christmas bills will be coming in and as new models come out the "rifle churners" will be looking to do a little "out with the old, in with the new".

I've personally bought and sold firearms coast to coast on canadiangunnutz and that'd be one place to look.

If possible first, they should handle a few rifles to see what fits them best as most of us didn't come out of the mold the same shape and what fits someone 6'6" with a neck like a stork will likely not be best for more Neanderthal shapes such as I've been sporting my whole life.

As to brands, we've had very good results with Ruger Americans shooting very well, having decent triggers and barrels which don't foul quickly. I want to say between myself and some shooting friends there's a half dozen or so and all have been good that way.

The Savage is not a bad way to go, but some of them seem to have rougher barrels nowadays and might foul up a bit faster than a hammer forged barrel might.

I've heard good things about the Mossbergs, but have no direct experience with them so can't say.

As my friend GRF mentioned, sometimes Tradex has some wonderful deals on Husqvarna's coming in from Sweden - get one already drilled and tapped for sure - but they can be real gems. Again that's used and I'm aware of that.

Since they're guys, they'll likely want to get some sort of artillery piece rather than a .308, .30-06 or .270. If at all possible, be a good friend and talk them into one of the aforementioned as a first arm and then they can get into the multi magnums later if they desire - you know or not. wink

The last time we were evacuated for a forest fire, I said to my wife that if the place burned down I'd not build another belted magnum. Since the place didn't burn, I kept the ones we've got, but I don't really believe they're that much more "terminal" on game - even big northern moose - than say an '06 with good bullets.

Anyways, hopefully that made some sense and was useful. If I can be of any help or use to you by all means give me a shout and I'll do my best to help out.

All the best to you and yours this year sir and good luck getting your buddies into hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've got a couple friends here who have recently expressed an interest in hunting,and aquiring a proper firearm. Neither is rich, one is expecting his first child and the other just had his 4th, so neither has a bunch of extra money laying around. They have asked me for advice, but I'm a little out of the loop on current budget rifles. I know the Axis is generally accurate but have heard the triggers are awful,mag is [bleep], and ergonomically not very good. Then there's the 783, Winchesters XTR, Mossberg MVP and Ruger American. Keep in mind we are in the people's republic of Canada, so the prices are somewhat higher here. I would like to steer them to a cheaper Tikka or a Vanguard, but both of those are usually about $200 higher than the other mentioned offerings. What would you guide them towards?

I see that some posters are recommending rifles that are available in the US, with the border closures , the customs hassle, and you having to use an importer prices can get costly pretty quickly.

Given the current buying frenzy I would find a Ruger American or a Howa in the chambering the friend wants. The Ruger American and Howa sporters I have shot performed well enough for general hunting and they make good trade material if he wants to move up in the future, Both are reasonably priced, both have reputations for adequate accuracy. To me the Howa is a bit heavier and ill balanced but I think they may be a better built rifle than the Ruger American. If they handle them that should make the decision easier.

Good luck - drover

p.s. - if they can come up with the extra $200 the Tikka T3X is what they should be saving for.

Last edited by drover; 01/03/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
For features, fit, and finish, the Win XPR is way underrated. Same barrel and trigger as a M70. Bolt is coated. Stock is decent (no stock on a $440 rifle is gonna blow you away).

^^^^ This. ^^^^

Very accurate, too.

Count me as another that is impressed with the XPR. Other than weight, I like the design features compared to some other budget rifles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well first things first I allways say. Have both of them buy big boxes of condoms. Guns are cheap compared to kids.. maintain the condom habit so you can afford the ammo and tags. Good luck.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
Im seeing a small handful of brand new Marlin XLS7s in my area, most in the 329-339 price range

Anyone who likes the ease of barrel swapping on Savage 110 series rifles, should llike the Marlin X guns, as they use the same barrel shank diameter and thread specs, so any barrel that will fit a small diameter shank Savage specs action will fit on a Marlin X gun. I find the aesthetics of the Marlin X guns to be superior to those of the average Savage 110 series rifle. I've swapped a number of Savage, Stevens, and Savage specs barrels onto Marlin X actions.

I have enough X guns on hand to meet my needs, but I'd be sorely tempted to buy a new stainless X gun if I found one priced under $350.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have purchased both a TC Compass and a Ruger American. Both were good values.
I have shot a Mossberg Patriot as well, and would put them in the same class.

Right now, I'd lean towards the TC Compass. I like the safety and the design of the mag.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://cva.com/product-line/cascade/

CVA CASCADE

ONLY RIFLE WITH A 14 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fotis

CVA CASCADE

After handling a new CVA Cascade, I would put it at the top of the bargain rifle class.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BC30cal
xxclaro;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather on your side of the big hills isn't too bad and that all is well with you and yours or at least as well as can be.

Honestly while you've indicated a reluctance to shop used, it's by far the most economical way to get into hunting,...

Dwayne

As others have pointed out, a lot of rifles in my stable were "new to me" purchases and I love each and every one; never regretted a single purchase. I did sell one rifle (only one in my life) and it was a Muzzleloader. I sent it to the manufacture to have them give it the once over to make sure I wasn't selling a worn out, potentially dangerous, firearm. I always get my rifles checked out by a smith. NEVER had an issue ... except ammo ... I need to win the lottery or something.

Last edited by HaYen; 01/10/21.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
Curious what advantages besides lighter weight the Ruger American has over the Howa or Vanguard.

I've shot all three and a few others, in the accuracy department, I can't tell the differences. As far as fit and finish, there are some I would pick over the other but if it were me it would come down to cost and what I was willing to pay. The early version of the RAR's and Marlin that I shot didn't have as smooth an action. The newer ones may be better. I've never had an issue with the Vanguard or Howa. With the exception of one other in my family, no one cares for the Vanguard or Win XPR because of its weight. Its not a problem for me and actually prefer a little heft.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Fotis

CVA CASCADE

After handling a new CVA Cascade, I would put it at the top of the bargain rifle class.

They sold a zillion 450 single shots here in MI they seem to shoot very well
And thier muzzleloader shoot well

I would like to check out the Cascade on 308
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TC Compass. I bought a 270 for my daughter to deer hunt with. Shoots under 1 inch. No complaints here.

O
O
+1 for the M18

Enjoy the hunt, and share your stories - that is what its all about.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a Vanguard s2 in 243 that I'm very happy with. My nephew has a Savage Axis2 in 308 that shoots well under 1" even with that toy stock it has. Drives me nuts how well it shoots plain 150gr core-lokts. Brother bought a 783 Remington. He regrets that - much. Things falling apart in his hands. He's had so many issues he won't sell it because he'd feel guilty later for doing that to someone.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
751 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.