Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
TRex,

I h ave only known one person besides you and myself to lust after a .256 Newton. I have one in the works... it is a 1903 Sprg with an original Newton Arms barrel. Hopefully it will be done in the spring... - G.H.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Holes that touch when shooting paper and animals that drop within a few steps after being shot where the shooter aims.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have mentioned here before, and I still believe, the way a cartridge sounds when it's pronounced has more than anything else to do with it's popularity. For every popular cartridge out there, there will be one or more at least as good or arguably better that flopped or, at least, is significantly less popular just for the way the name rolls off the tongue.

OK, I can roll with that for a ways...ummm, Kropatchek? Vergueiro? Capstick rolls nicely...perhaps the Peterlongo is a bit much in English context.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't know about exciting but for me it's more like "interesting".

If you've been subjected to 200000 articles about a cartridge that's been around 117 years and constantly compared to a kissing cousin - it's easy to become rather bored and look to something else, even if "something else" isn't materially better. It just needs to be different.

It's like hot rods - oh, you have a 69 Camaro with an LS swap? Wow - I got 4 cousins with the same damn thing and the dude down the street, he's got one - it's like belly buttons. Show me something new - doesn't have to be better but be different.
Stop reading the articles. They've been saying the same damn shyt over and over for decades anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have mentioned here before, and I still believe, the way a cartridge sounds when it's pronounced has more than anything else to do with it's popularity. For every popular cartridge out there, there will be one or more at least as good or arguably better that flopped or, at least, is significantly less popular just for the way the name rolls off the tongue.

OK, I can roll with that for a ways...ummm, Kropatchek? Vergueiro? Capstick rolls nicely...perhaps the Peterlongo is a bit much in English context.
I don't put much stock in that theory. 6.5 Creedmoor sounds dumb as hell yet look where it is. Hell, most folks don't even know how they should pronounce that, much less spell it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a short action, chambered in almost every rifle made. Can find ammo almost anyplace in the world. It kills better than it should, not bad on recoil. Well it wont kick you out from under your hat. It's fun to shoot, fun to hunt with, yes we are talking about the .308 Winchester.
If you don't have one, you should get yourself one. I believe you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 01/04/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I do like the way the European rounds are named. Seven by fifty seven, seven by sixty four, six point five by fifty five etc. They do tend to flow off the tongue. Apart from the poetry in the names, it is a damn sensible way to name cartridges.

I think another factor in a cool cartridge is when no one else has one lol. I've just been trying some loads in my rebarreled 6.5x57. Now it won't do anything that my 6.5x55 and 7x57 won't do but..........................................no one else has one. eek

Last edited by Elvis; 01/04/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have copies of "Cartridges of the World" editions 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.

The 16th edition came out in 2019.

I'll bet there are lots of new exciting cartridges in the 16th edition.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Exciting Cartridges are those that have all of the following:

3500 FPS with 11 different powders

.2 (5) shot groups with 11 different powders

150 grain bullet @ 3500 FPS with 10 lbs of recoil from a 7.5 lb gun

Barrel life like a 22 LR

Shoots .2 groups from a 2 to a 20 twist barrel

Nahhh, that would be boring!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

A 270 W.C.F. headstamp

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Being a short action, chambered in almost every rifle made. Can find ammo almost anyplace in the world. It kills better than it should, not bad on recoil. Well it wont kick you out from under your hat. It's fun to shoot, fun to hunt with, yes we are talking about the .308 Winchester.
If you don't have one, you should get yourself one. I believe you'll be glad you did.

Oh, you mean a .30-06 Short. :-)

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Does it shoot accurately in your rifle?
Does it kill what you shoot with it?
If the answer is yes--- it is exiting

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How is it possible to get 'excited' about an inanimate object, made of brass, powder, primer, and a bullet?
New cartridges get popular, initially by masterful hype by the ammo and rifle manufacturers, and then by gunwriters, gushing endlessly about magical ballistics, and rushing to be the 'first' to take game with the new cartridge, in order to be able to write about its fabulous results, and how the slain game burped and bubbled blood for minutes from the fatal wound.
If, in fact, folks get 'excited' by calibers, they are easily amused and entertained.
Now- a beautiful woman, who has money to burn and is willing to let you spend it, and who lives on a big ranch in Montana loaded with game, is something to get excited about.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd imagine a case full of nitro would make a rifle exciting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What makes a rifle exciting? I'd say mixing pistol powder with the rifle powder should do the trick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A guy in my hunting club once had a smith who mistakenly installed the wrong sized brake (smaller caliber brake) on a 338 win mag. Things got really exciting!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Another note I forgot to add: Actions. I'm sure there is an action in this cartridge to fit everyone's liking.

Take care

Last edited by Hammerdown; 01/05/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my grandson shooting his new Red Rider BB gun i gave him he is 8 years old

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
my grandson shooting his new Red Rider BB gun i gave him he is 8 years old

I think everyone likes a Red Rider BB gun. I know I like them.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just had to tune in to see what a cartridege was....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.