I'd say the Lord's got em' hired.

They're in tall grass, on long legged horses,

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

Base camp is well stocked.

....May he continue to bless, and keep em'

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

Always thought this was about as well said as could be. May his thoughts apply to himself and all the others

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'd say the Lord's got em' hired.

They're in tall grass, on long legged horses,

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

Base camp is well stocked.

....May he continue to bless, and keep em'

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

Always thought this was about as well said as could be. May his thoughts apply to himself and all the others

+1 You can feel the peace in those words

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just noticed this and thought I'd add Freedumb1. It's been a couple years now but he was a great friend and hunting buddy and I got the news from his wife while out deer hunting so I think of him even more this time of year. He was a funny and loyal friend and father and was an incredible resource and collector of Savage 99 and Ruger No 1 rifles. He's definitely missed.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Long time fire member GonHuntin passed away in March after a hard fought 5 year battle with cancer. Mark was my younger brother. We grew up hunting and fishing with our Dad. We all met up ever year for Oklahoma black powder season and spent the week camping and hunting and fishing. This morning was opening day of rifle season here in Texas. It was a short walk to the stand but it took awhile to find my way with tears in my eyes. It was the first opening morning without both of them. The walk out was even harder knowing there would be no phone call this evening to talk about the days events. Rest In Peace brother, enjoy hunting and fishing with Dad and Grandpa and I’ll catch up in a little while.

Doug

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1moredeer
Long time fire member GonHuntin passed away in March after a hard fought 5 year battle with cancer. Mark was my younger brother. We grew up hunting and fishing with our Dad. We all met up ever year for Oklahoma black powder season and spent the week camping and hunting and fishing. This morning was opening day of rifle season here in Texas. It was a short walk to the stand but it took awhile to find my way with tears in my eyes. It was the first opening morning without both of them. The walk out was even harder knowing there would be no phone call this evening to talk about the days events. Rest In Peace brother, enjoy hunting and fishing with Dad and Grandpa and I’ll catch up in a little while.

Doug

Nicely said, Doug.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Doug

Nicely said, Doug.

😎

+ one more....

The day will sadly come for each of us....

Gotta tear in my eye for some reason... I think it was that last line that must of had a little dust in it...

Peace be with you Doug...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Doug

Condolences Doug. Your pop got it right.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just think how many have passed that have no other contacts with members, other than posting. Those losses go UN-noticed due the new computer world.

When I die I have no one to come one here and say I am pushing up daisies.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Brownbearhunter was Jim Waggett, my guide on my first hunting trip to AK for Dall sheep. He was an assistant guide then, working for Ed Stevenson's outfit. Jim worked very hard to get me a good shot on a very good mature ram. A long shot in adverse weather and a tough recovery cemented a friendship.

We stayed in touch and I eventually found out that he died on Christmas Day 2016. I'm delayed in posting because life sometimes throws us unexpected curve balls. He was a good man and is missed by his friends and those who hunted with him. I was fortunate to get the 6.5-284 I used to shoot that ram back from Jim before he passed. I remember that trip every time I use that rifle. It delivers every time.

Godspeed Jim. RIP brother.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/23/20.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just found out yesterday about the passing of Roger Biesen one of the classic gunmakers of our time.

I had the privilege of meeting Al, Roger and Paula when my wife and I visited the shop in Spokane. Ironically the rifle Al is holding is a Bob Owen Springfield Roger repaired for me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This resulted in a couple of fine rifles by Roger, communication and visits through the years, and a lasting memory of 2 gunmakers who led the way in Classical American Rifle wood-and-blue-steel functional artistry. One of these rifles is a 404 Jeffery, which I finally decided will take a trip to Africa, as I promised Roger it would.

A real loss. RIP Roger. You and your work will be missed.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

He was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy.

Rest in peace Sir with the rest of the good guys that have left way to soon.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wink_man
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

He was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy.

Rest in peace Sir with the rest of the good guys that have left way to soon.

Awfully sorry to learn about Ben, as his company over the recent few years at Armijo Springs was very much appreciated. His stories about his elk hunting and his experiences living so close to the border really impressed me so much.

Frankly, while I have been in Mexico many times for work, that has been a while ago and while today living in NM and knowing many great people here of Hispanic descent, it was terribly useful to get the first hand reports from folks such as Ben and Blue over in South Texas, as well as several others whose opinions and information I respect.

Even my oldest son now living in Singapore has a totally false impression from watching the mainstream media reports about the border situation. There is so much false narrative being spread to further political agenda, and believe me, international news largely never expresses a counter-narrative.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can't see the first hummingbirds come in without thinking of Mickey Coleman.

He was sure a great guy, and is missed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Same here Barry, but it will be another month and a half before I get to see one here!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Prayers for family and friends,
Hillbillybear was a good guy.
https://www.ashelawn.com/obituary/Joseph-Parsons

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
May he rest in peace/

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Can't see the first hummingbirds come in without thinking of Mickey Coleman.

He was sure a great guy, and is missed.

Me too. Put up feeders because of his enthusiasm for the little guys

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Prayers for family and friends,
Hillbillybear was a good guy.
https://www.ashelawn.com/obituary/Joseph-Parsons

Gone far too soon.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ethan Edwards (my good friend, Mark) passed away in his own bed, at home, in his sleep, and on his own terms, in Moran, Kansas. His death was discovered on the morning of September 10th by family. He had been suffering the effects of COVID-19 since about the 3rd of September, and was determined to rough it out on his own. His last message to me was on the 6th, wherein he expressed that symptoms were bad, but that he felt confident he'd make it. He didn't respond to further messages from me after that, which caused me and others here great concern.

Years ago, he had given me his phone number, but I had misplaced it, so I researched it, based on what I knew, found it, and called to discover this terrible news from his daughter.

He was a close friend of mine, and we had maintained a fairly constant course of communication and discussion at the Fire for at least ten years via PMs. He was a real America-loving patriot, a solid Christian, a farmer, a family man, and a local school board member, survived by his wife Jenny (a school teacher), his daughter Sarah (a college student with aspirations of becoming a veterinarian), and his son Jeff (a high school student). He was quite proud of his two kids, and spoke glowingly of them to me often. He and his wife and kids were all very close.

He loved firearms as a hobby, with a particular interest in antique firearms of the Old West. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about them, along with other firearms, and was happy to benefit others with his knowledge here at the Fire. He knew a lot, in fact, about a surprisingly wide range of topics. He was also an old movie buff, particularly regarding Westerns. In fact, one of the last conversations we had was about an upcoming Western-themed movie we were both looking forward to, titled Old Henry.

He was 60 when he passed. He will be greatly missed by me, and many members here.

As soon as I get permission from his daughter to relate more specifics about him, I will do so. I have a message in to her regarding this, and am waiting for a response.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.