Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are a couple of possibilities. Most likely is that the way you are neck sizing is pulling the shoulder forward a bit. Are you using a FL die but only partially neck sizing? That will often do it, either as a result of the expander ball dragging the neck forward, without the shoulder being supported, or (depending on case shape) the die contacting the case body and squeezing it, again without the shoulder being supported.

I personally prefer Lee's collet dies, to avoid such problems. FWIW I only ever neck size.

Other possibilities (perhaps a bit less likely, but I've experienced these) include:

- your cases are seriously overlength, and are pushing into the leade;

- your seating die is adjusted down too far, so it is (excessively) roll-crimping the case mouth and causing it to bulge (this can also be a result of cases being over length, or of varying length - the over length ones get overcrimped);

- the chamber is loose, and when you fired the rounds they've bulged on one side, out of round, and won't fit back in the chamber properly if oriented any other way;

- your extractor has some fouling/damage/something stuck in it, so it is not able to slip over the case-head easily (a potential issue with Remington 700s in particular) or is not designed to slip over the case head;.

There are other possibilities too I guess, but I'd work through these first.

FWIW I do check loaded rounds through the action. Not always, but if I've changed anything or when they absolutely need to function. If you don't know how to do that safely you probably shouldn't have a firearm.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Measure the case OAL. Chances are they need trimming.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rooney
What Blacktailer said!

Until one goes off through the shop wall and into the neighbors house, killing a kid. I get sick and tired of hearing about you stupid fu cks doing this. Yes, check your brass for fit. You should never have to check your loaded rounds unless you have no concept of how to set your dies or know where the lands are. What you guys are doing is a rookie move. Not a great suggestion

Then you live too close to your neighbors.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Regular neck-sizing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Partial FLS is how I handle my hunting loads. Been doing it for a couple of decades. When brass sized that way no longer chambers, it’s time to FLS, and maybe anneal, or even toss the brass.

Pull the bullet on a couple of the tight ones and try to chamber the case again. Measure the outside neck diameter of them first. Check the case length.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dan_oz

FWIW I do check loaded rounds through the action. Not always, but if I've changed anything or when they absolutely need to function. If you don't know how to do that safely you probably shouldn't have a firearm.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MichieD
What Blacktailer said!

Until one goes off through the shop wall and into the neighbors house, killing a kid. I get sick and tired of hearing about you stupid fu cks doing this. Yes, check your brass for fit. You should never have to check your loaded rounds unless you have no concept of how to set your dies or know where the lands are. What you guys are doing is a rookie move. Not a great suggestion

Ok Karen. Make sure you wear your mask too. If it troubles you so, remove the firing pin first, or have someone do it for you.

Good Lord, no wonder this country is being run by binary people.

One question, would you feel comfortable with your self-proclaimed gun expert neighbor checking loaded rounds with a rifle pointed at your kid’s bedroom wall? I wouldn’t. Mechanical things happen. Pins drop.
To the OP, learn how to measure headspace on YOUR chamber, full length size your brass to control the shoulder and base or you’ll fight it, end up with clickers, and ruin your brass in a few firings. Pop the primer out before measuring a fired piece of brass or it’ll give false readings.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If you’re neck sizing by backing off a FL sizing die a bit, what’s happening is the body of the case is being squeezed much like squeezing a long balloon. That moves the shoulder forward causing the hard chambering. It’s not the expander pulling the neck out.

I found this happening when I started trying the same technique with my first 243.

You can solve it by removing the expanding rod and incrementally turning the FL sizing die down a quarter turn or so, sizing a case and then trying to chamber it. Continue doing that until the case will chamber with very slight pressure. Then try another case or two to check your work. That will move the brass as little as possible. For that trial case(s) you’ll then have to run the expander down into the neck to load it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Hornady case length comparator set and I will take some measurements and report back what I find in a couple of days.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/04/21.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Kenneth
You need to full length size.

This

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
What Blacktailer said!

God you'd have to be stupid to not be able to cycle loaded rounds without killing someone.

I know for a fact I cycle every last loaded 458 round for bears. Anyone but a fool wouldn't.

And I think I know just a hair about loading too. Enough to know when it matters check and double check.

Enough to know they only rule of gun safety is muzzle control.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Shooter71
What Blacktailer said!

Ok Karen. Make sure you wear your mask too. If it troubles you so, remove the firing pin first, or have someone do it for you.

One question, would you feel comfortable with your self-proclaimed gun expert neighbor checking loaded rounds with a rifle pointed at your kid’s bedroom wall? I wouldn’t. Mechanical things happen. Pins drop.

Anyone pointing a rifle at their neighbor's house while performing that operation with live rounds is an idiot. But believe it or not, it's possible to cycle rounds with your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It ain't rocket science.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hatari
Measure the case OAL.

That's what I'd check first, just to rule it out if nothing else.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Shooter71
What Blacktailer said!

Anyone pointing a rifle at their neighbor's house while performing that operation with live rounds is an idiot. But believe it or not, it's possible to cycle rounds with your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It ain't rocket science.

Don’t do it. It’s For the children’s sake. FFS.

Headspace is really tricky .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What Blacktailer said!

Act like a dick much?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, measuring the OAL of the cases is not a bad start. It is quick and easy and may identify or eliminate one potential source of the problem.

If that eliminates overlength brass as a problem, try this: take one of the cases which won't chamber easily, and cover it all over with permanent marker ("Sharpie). Let the ink dry, then carefully chamber and extract it it (try not to let it get marked by things like feed rails). You should be able to see whether there's hard contact, and if so where: on the shoulders suggests they've moved forward, for example.

Another quick and simple thing you could try is rolling a case on a flat surface, like a pane of glass, to see whether it is bulged or out of round.

A number of people here have suggested FL sizing, and that is one option, but neck-sizing, properly done, using brass fired in your rifle, should always result in your loads chambering easily. If not there's a problem, either with the brass or the way you are loading it. As I said earlier, I have for years only neck sized, and this is in a range of calibres and for a range of action types, with some brass withstanding many loading cycles with no more than the initial preparation and regular neck annealing.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Primers not seated all the way .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hatari
Measure the case OAL.

That's what I'd check first, just to rule it out if nothing else.

C.O.L. range from 2.33 to 2.36 out of the 20 or so pull-downs I sampled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by verns
Primers not seated all the way .

They're good.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz

A number of people here have suggested FL sizing, and that is one option, but neck-sizing, properly done, using brass fired in your rifle, should always result in your loads chambering easily. If not there's a problem, either with the brass or the way you are loading it.

That's what I was thinking. Although, if you "neck size only" using a full-length die (which is a misnomer) the die will squeeze the sides of the case and move the shoulder forward (since the case is not constrained lengthwise by the loose adjustment of the die) causing the problem.

The way to check for that is to chamber a fired case before sizing, and then after. If it chambers without a problem before sizing but not after, then the sizing operation is moving the shoulder forward.

Edited to add, apologies Dan, I see you already pointed this out.

Last edited by smokepole; 01/04/21.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu
Another thing that has bit me is having the bullet seating die set to low where it is “bulging” the shoulders out. Back the die out a bit and lower the seating plug to get the correct oal.

If this is what happened, you can pull the decapping pin out of the sizing die and run the loaded rounds up into the die slowly to push the shoulders back in. It depends how bulged they are, whether it will work or not.

This is where the body die or the trim die come in. They are very handy for fixing a bulged shoulder. But, it's better to trim everything as close to the same length and avoid it all.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.