Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am building a rotary wet brass tumbler and I have assembled ~ 70% of the parts I will need. I'm having difficulty deciding on a container to use for the brass. Originally, I purchased a length of 4" Schedule 40 PVC with a cap at one end and a 4" to 3" reducer with a rubber Quick Cap for the other - maybe 4" is not big enough? Then the water utility decided to dig up the street and replace the water lines with Schedule 80 8" & 6" PVC. After asking, I pilfered a length, but I think the Schedule 80 is WAY too heavy-duty. So I started looking around for 6" or 8" Schedule 40 and I cannot find any for a reasonable price.

So, if I end up using the 4" Schedule 40 I already have (or 6" if I can find it), what can I use for an agitator inside the PVC pipe? I thought of using lengths of 1" - 1.5" PVC split lengthwise, but would PVC cement be adequate to hold it in place? I'd also rather the agitator be a helix, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Any other ideas for either an agitator or a container? I found a MJR Tumblers' 1 gallon container, which would be perfect, but at $120.00, I need to figure out a cheaper solution.

Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/04/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have NO experience with this, but I have seen on You Tube a home made wet tumbler system that the fellow glued strips of small diameter split PVC pipe to the inside of the drum. He used regular PVC pipe cement to glue it into place. I do not know how well it held up, but I would guess it would hold quite well if given plenty of time to cure before use. Try it and see. It won't cost you too much if it doesn't work. I wet tumble with a Harbor Freight twin drum tumbler. The drums are rubber lined and therefore catch and spin the SS pins and brass as opposed to slick PVC pipe. I don't know, but just a thought: Maybe you could add a thin coat of Flex-Seal to the inside of your drum?

Please follow up with a report of what works and doesn't work. Thanks.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Henryseale: Thanks for the reply. I believe 2 rows of ~ 3" pieces of split 1" PVC, cemented in a helix pattern would work well.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might try 6" or 8" black ABS riser pipe usually comes in 2' lengths for about $12. Its thinner wall and doesn't weigh as much.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Greyghost, I'll take a look. Could PVC caps be used on riser pipe?

- Del Gue
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Should be able to, use ABS glue.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'll contact Lyman and see if they sell their Cyclone Tumbler case separately.

- Del Gue
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're going to build the drum use the 8", 4 will be way to small.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just don't see the draw for squeaky clean brass.
I've run some large batches of new .45acp brass before and it was aggravating as hell, sticking on the powder through expander and more force into the sizer, after just a hundred or so I started using Hornady spray lube. Also loaded some new WW .223 brass when I was shooting high power, found out about the M dies, much easier than a ball expander.
Just looks like a lot of time spent just getting pretty brass and I read about folks not getting it dry causing miss fires or loading with a pin still in the case.
I could be wrong, I married evil wife #2.

Last edited by blindshooter; 01/05/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I've run some large batches of new .45acp brass before and it was aggravating as hell, sticking on the powder through expander and more force into the sizer, after just a hundred or so I started using Hornady spray lube. Also loaded some new WW .223 brass when I was shooting high power, found out about the M dies, much easier than a ball expander.
Just looks like a lot of time spent just getting pretty brass and I read about folks not getting it dry causing miss fires or loading with a pin still in the case.

I have experienced 0 of those problems.

The picture of the pins I posted has the right size to use.
I dry my brass for 2 or 3 days.
I have sold a fugking pickup truck load of the stuff and have had 0 complaints.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I have experienced 0 of those problems.

The picture of the pins I posted has the right size to use.
I dry my brass for 2 or 3 days.
I have sold a fugking pickup truck load of the stuff and have had 0 complaints.

Didn't say it won't work, just not for me.
I know a guy that uses a cement mixer without the pins, lets them dry on a old screen door.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Thumblers model B

Works great

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gutthooked: Thanks for the link. I like the hexagon shape, which eliminates the need for an agitator. Price is a bit high, but at this point it would be cheaper than purchasing a length of 8” Schedule 40 PVC and the associated end caps, reducers and quick caps and PVC cement since mine is all dried out..

12344mag: I agree that 4” is too small, hence my quandary. The problem is finding a length of 8” Schedule 40 for a decent price. Thanks.

local_dirt: That looks suspiciously like the Horror Freight rock tumbler. I am sourcing all USA made components. I have also already purchased a bag of stainless pins. Thanks.

blindshooter: Thanks for the heads-up, I will look into that.

hanco: That’s what I’m shootin’ for, though my unit will be rather heavy-duty once it’s completed. Thanks.

- Del Gue
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Why do you think you need sch 40?

I use gallon pickle jars. I have not have one wear out yet when using media.

M
M
For my DRY tumbler, I used a 12 inch piece of 2 inch PVC. I put 4 fins inside made from 1 inch aluminum angle. Bolted in with machine screws. I have the 12 inch pipe mounted to the inside of an old clothes' dryer. Works real good. Been using it for about 15 years now--problem free. One day I will make a wet drum to try out. Plan to use something like nylon cutting boards cut round for end caps. I have another piece of the same 12inch PVC pipe to use. Will change up to steel fins(maybe). I always used to hide the vibrating tumbler outside because it was noisy. The clothes dryer model is actually quieter than drying clothes.

M
M
For my DRY tumbler, I used a 12 inch piece of 12 inch PVC. I put 4 fins inside made from 1 inch aluminum angle. Bolted in with machine screws. I have the 12 inch pipe mounted to the inside of an old clothes' dryer. Works real good. Been using it for about 15 years now--problem free. One day I will make a wet drum to try out. Plan to use something like nylon cutting boards cut round for end caps. I have another piece of the same 12inch PVC pipe to use. Will change up to steel fins(maybe). I always used to hide the vibrating tumbler outside because it was noisy. The clothes dryer model is actually quieter than drying clothes.

Last edited by mtnmickey; 01/05/21. Reason: correction
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mtnmickey: Where did you find 12" PVC?

ipopum: I don't necessarily need Schedule 40, just depends on what I can find around here.

- Del Gue
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I constructed a tumbler out of 4"pcv to turn between lathe centers at 28 rpm.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.