Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Folks organized a search for noon today, kids knew the person and were gonna be part of it.
Told me about it last night.
Said I bet he's in a creek by a bridge (had slick conditions the night he was last seen).
Looked like a 2wd pickup too.

Yup, recovery at 11am (somebody not part of search found the wreck).

I get the concern my kids had, but damn, I don't think they need to see somebody they knew dead in a wreck.
Glad he was found ( I told em last night it would only be a recovery). And glad it was not by them.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/05/21.
GB1

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
In school and now out four and five years, vehicle accidents have taken out quite a few of my kids classmates.

Way more than when i was in school, and my school was lots bigger.

Its so common...... crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My junior year of HS, '85-'86, saw us loose 4 classmates in auto accidents, 2 of which were friends of mine.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sorry to hear that.

I grew up in a country town with windy country roads and lost lots of classmates to traffic accidents.

Laws in my state around drivers education requirements have been made (reasonably IMO) more restrictive but it’s something I’m sure we’ll never escape.

I know you weren’t implying this but given the COVIDIOCY and gun control arguments it’s a wonder the Left hasn’t called for a stop to use of cars. It’d certainly stop more deaths and help the environment...

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I worry more about my kids being killed in a vehicular accident than I do them dying due to guns! Even they do. People drive like idiots, so the kids aren't in nearly as big a rush to drive as I was at their age!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cars and food kill alot of people!

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I dunno how many my kids knew that got crunched
Not gonna ask em today.
Yeeesh.

Dont think cell phone usage a real cause in the recent wrecks.

Think kids just travel more and farther these days.
Ups the stats

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Esox357
Cars and food kill alot of people!

Yeah, but when youre young you really shouldnt have a list of people you know that died, IMHO

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by z1r
I worry more about my kids being killed in a vehicular accident than I do them dying due to guns! Even they do. People drive like idiots, so the kids aren't in nearly as big a rush to drive as I was at their age!

My youngest has health issues. Plus she lost some classmates on wrecks, so she was not in a hurry to get her license. Eventually she did.

Some of her classmates refuse to drive/ get a license.
Oddly, those folks think they can change the world ( liberals ).

Im talking 22 yrs old.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/05/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some kids drive recklessly. Most that do survive, some die. I have been in close calls 4 times, once while driving, once while ski racing, and twice when I was in the Army. I sincerely believe that my guardian angel was looking out for me all 4 times, otherwise I would likely have been a statistic.

I don't think that, as a whole, kids drive as much now as they did when I got my operators permit in 1971. Kids today seem to be connected with the World via their smart phones and don't need to travel to meet in person as much.

Distracted driving, impaired driving, excess speed, and a general lack of experience and skill are probably the same key contributing factors today that they were when I started driving 50 years ago. Most of us did stuff as teens and young adults that we probably wouldn't consider to be prudent at our current point in life. When you're young, you're fearless, justified or not.

Technology wise, today's cars should be safer than the cars that people who are 50 and older drove as kids.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Technology wise, today's cars should be safer than the cars that people who are 50 and older drove as kids.

I think a lot of people, not just kids, depend way too much on car technology instead of actually paying attention to their driving. I watch people turn down a dark, narrow street 100' before the freeway on-ramp that they actually want all the time, because their little screen told them to and they trust it instead of their eyes and mind.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You mean it wasn't smart to duck below the dash and stab the clutch to shift - then pop up to steer?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I think a lot of people, not just kids, depend way too much on car technology instead of actually paying attention to their driving. I watch people turn down a dark, narrow street 100' before the freeway on-ramp that they actually want all the time, because their little screen told them to and they trust it instead of their eyes and mind.

I know what you mean, no situational awareness and no idea where they are if they don't have a cellular signal. My Daughter discovered the wonder of paper maps when she was working at Mesa Verde NP in 2019, as the cellular service was nonexistent in most places in the park and not very good anywhere outside of Cortez and Durango.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
2 people on snowmachines thru the ice on the Kuskokwim (SW Alaska)yesterday or day before. Not uncommon in that area of the state, and north/northeast into the near Arctic, and Arctic.

Machines and 1 body recovered.

Last edited by las; 01/05/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Close friends lost one of their three daughters in a car wreck a couple of years ago. The deceased daughter was just in her teens and was an identical twin. Driver of the car she was a passenger in was young man and DWI. He's in prison now serving a sentence for vehicular homicide. She wasn't wearing a seat belt -- he and another young man riding in the back seat were belted in and neither had serious injuries.

As far as numbers, though, I believe we had more youth vehicle deaths every year back in the muscle car days due to excessive speed, overconfidence coupled with inexperience, foolish risks, and intoxication.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hookeye
In school and now out four and five years, vehicle accidents have taken out quite a few of my kids classmates.

Way more than when i was in school, and my school was lots bigger.

Its so common...... crazy

Just the opposite here.

Dad lost a lot of freinds back in the 60s and 70's.

We were expecting a load of wrecks when the smart phones came out.

Hasn't yet materialized.

Sorry about your kids friend.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn’t have many personal brushes with anyone I knew being in a bad accident growing up. Then a friend’s dad was killed on his way to work one morning during our junior year (‘92). Very small high school with a compact layout and watched the principal and a sheriff walk to his classroom and walk him to the office and tell him. Sheriff walked him out with his arm around him to his mom’s car. Remember that day clearly and it changed my relationship with my parents for the better.

Wouldn’t wish that sorrow on parent or child.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
60s 70s and in to the 80s were brutal for fatal car crashes out here. Cars were pretty fast but tires, brakes and steering were horrible compared to today and drinking and driving was a way of life.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
i lost the best friend ill ever have right before we graduated in 1984, he cut a telephone pole in half , my life changed directions after that , I can still see his mom and dad walk across the stage to get his diploma like it was yesterday.. I felt guilty for years for surviving some of the stupid crap id done in my younger days.. still pray for his soul every now and then..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
From 18 on I was in either the police department or (mostly) fire department. I had seen enough death and destruction by my 21st birthday to last me a lifetime.

One of my battalion chiefs (great guy) was the first on scene of a 1 car vs tree rollover on a narrow winding road one evening. He got down to the wreck, which was on its side against a tree, looked in and realized it was his daughter and her friends. His daughter was DOA. To this day 30 years later I still think about him and keep him in my prayers. The chief of that same department, several years before our bat chief’s nightmare, lost his wife and daughter to a dump truck that lost its brakes on a hill. In the blink of an eye his family was wiped out. He too remains in my prayers all these years later.

I lost a good friend in the Mary Pang warehouse fire. Death seemed to be a constant companion in my youth.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.