Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ok I'm trying to remove (permanently) so beavers from a friends vacation spot. The plan was to set traps (conibear 330's) and trap them out.

Day 1 - Placed traps at the location I thought the beaver were. There's a foot of snow, and I'm in KS so the beavers tend to make dens in banks vs. making huts. I found a damn with a good size bank hole, set 3 traps, on under the ice with a potato as bait where it stored it's tree limbs, another on the damn where it had sprung a leak so I'd nail one there. And the last in the run to the bank entrance.

Day 2 - Nada Still cold as snot (12 degrees for a 2 weeks now) but we've got a warm up coming.

Day 3- the food source trap was tripped, but the others were un-touched. I walked the stream and found the buggers had moved to a new hole, and now there's sign up the creek on the big pond at an older bank entrance there too. So I moved the potato bait ice set which has now melted (50 degree weather) to the new bank entrance on the stream, and then took the old entrance trap from the stream and set it up on the entrance in the big pond.

Day 4 - We'll see

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can you use snares in KS. In Michigan we can, they work great. I catch more beaver in snares than conibears or leg holds. Pole sets with fresh corn, you will wipe them out. Until they move in from other areas, then start all over again.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You'll be playing muscial den holes....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am with coyotewhacker. I just set my snares in their paths on land. They are cheap and effective. This usually cleans out the egg eatin coons at the same time. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL AROUND PETS.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Day 4

NUTS!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rye77
You'll be playing muscial den holes....

Unfortunately I think your right

I don't seem to be connecting with the dern rodent

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Beavers aren't difficult, you just need to think it out. Snares and 330's are how I've rolled before.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You dont know squat about beaver.................

just ask your last girlfriend......

and yes, I'm the man.............
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Roll over and ask her yourself.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Up here in AK some people pour used peanut oil on lodge & dam,bears
will take care of it from there.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe I could send some wolves from the U.P. to KS, we have too many, they put the hurt on the beavers also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you don't want to place conibears right at a "hole" and you don't want to use bait on them unless you are trapping under a lot of ice.

If they are traveling around already, you want to look where they are going. Look for narrow spots where they are swimming and place your conibears there.

Beaver can get very wise and cagey, especially if somebody is messing around near where they live, and also when they start seeing their brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers dead in traps. So you want to get away from where they live and catch them in what is called blind or travel type sets.

S
S
Originally Posted by 22WRF
you don't want to place conibears right at a "hole" and you don't want to use bait on them unless you are trapping under a lot of ice.

If they are traveling around already, you want to look where they are going. Look for narrow spots where they are swimming and place your conibears there.

Beaver can get very wise and cagey, especially if somebody is messing around near where they live, and also when they start seeing their brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers dead in traps. So you want to get away from where they live and catch them in what is called blind or travel type sets.

Good advice here. Set the den holes when the other sets go dry.
Think about set locations like bowhunting deer. Cut off their travel in funnel areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The feedbed is a fine place to catch critters instead of their leftovers. I imagine even a stupid rodent is easily trained when he gets the skinned toothpick he's carrying slapped out of his mouth by a 330. Wouldn't you? grin A 330 only works well in an entrance if you catch him the first time. IME there is no bigger waste of time in that position than that. Snares in the tunnels tend not to spook them when they miss. From where I sit, neither potatoes nor corn would cut it as bait, though they may work elsewhere. But I've never baited Conibears for beaver.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.