Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Post & duplex followed by the heavy duplex. For a standard duplex I like Burris's over Leupold's.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Post & duplex followed by the heavy duplex. For a standard duplex I like Burris's over Leupold's. I have one #4 and I like it but wish the center wire was a bit thicker.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For all around hunting use, near and far, thick or open, I really like Tangent Theta's Mrad reticle. I'm still a fan of the basic mildot as well and probably use it more than any other reticle. More and more I prefer 4 posts to 3 posts, thicker outer, thinner inner.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lit center dot #4 is as good as it gets for me . Regular #4 are my go-to BUT I have used the Boone and Crocket to good effect.

In any case I just find a thick vertical post above the horizontal to be superfluous for most part. A hair thin vertical is all that is needed but I don't see what a heavier upper vertical portion does but confuse. and get in the way. With a plain #4 type I snap on target easier - for whatever reason.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The Boone and Crockett. Leupold has dropped it from their lineup. Pizzes me off somethin' fierce........

Agreed. By far my favorite hunting reticle, but I certainly haven't used them all. I thought I was the only one, since Leupold seems to be phasing it out.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leupy will have the B&C in the new VX3 HD line according to Doug's post about it.

I saw that, but it's only in 1 scope from what I can tell. For the last several years, they've only had it in the 4.5-14 and not in the 3.5-10, which I prefer for most hunting applications.

After that, I'll take a basic duplex and Zeiss is my favorite that I've used. Not too thick and not too thin. I'm sure I could like a #4, but I've never owned one.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&B #9 reticle. It has a circle of death.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kenjs1
In any case I just find a thick vertical post above the horizontal to be superfluous for most part. A hair thin vertical is all that is needed but I don't see what a heavier upper vertical portion does but confuse. and get in the way. With a plain #4 type I snap on target easier - for whatever reason.

After spending a lot of time with #4's (and inverted 4's like the milquad) I'm liking 4 posts much more when bracketing something in low light. In a lot of cases it's not needed and 3 will work....but 4 doesn't hurt when light is low enough that the thinner inner can't be seen. Different backgrounds can really change how visible a post is and a fourth reference helps in some cases.

Nothing wrong with 3 posts but my preference has moved to 4.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I really like the MQ on my ss 3-9. I would like it even better w/ adjustable illumination. That Tangent Theta looks pretty sweet.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m good with a heavy duplex. That is my first choice, but a milquad in FFP makes sense if you’re wanting something capable of over ~300 yds. I don’t get many chances to shoot further than 300 so it’s moot for me. I do think BDC or mil/moa indicating reticles in SFP are dumb as hell.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Moses Tucker: For big game Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
For colony Varmint Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
For predator Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Moses Tucker: For big game Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
For colony Varmint Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
For predator Hunting I prefer Leupolds fine Du-Plex reticle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks!! I like your thinking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A post duplex is a good one, and I have run a few. IIRC, the distance between the center and the lower post may be greater than a standard duplex. I believe I compared it before in 6x and/or 2-7x. Why does that matter? In my experience, I often had a POA/POI at 200 yds and used a standard duplex as a POA/POI at 400 yds, by using the lower post juncture. That worked out with a plain duplex. It might not matter to others.

I always said, as to simply 'holding over with any scope' you could hold on the back of a deer at 300, and about a foot over at 400 (with many modern High Vel rounds)........no doubt better to use a reference point as a POA where you want the POI.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Standard duplex

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
German #4.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
Leupold B&C and LRD for general use. The work well with decent spitzers at 2,800-3,100 MV, sighted in somewhere near 200yds, depending on the load.

I've found them to work well in the 2,700 fps range as well.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Post & duplex followed by the heavy duplex.

I'm of the same camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
For all around hunting use, near and far, thick or open, I really like Tangent Theta's Mrad reticle. I'm still a fan of the basic mildot as well and probably use it more than any other reticle. More and more I prefer 4 posts to 3 posts, thicker outer, thinner inner.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is a good one.... it's actually a slightly modified GenII. I have the 3-15 TT with this reticle, as well as a 4-16 S&B.

My second choice is a straight mil-dot.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Boone and Crockett, Long Range Duplex and Duplex in that order. In all my years of hunting around here I don’t think I’ve ever had the time to dial for elevation or wind. There are several ways you can use the holdover points, not just assuming the 300 or 400 marks are going to match your trajectory.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Boone and Crockett, Long Range Duplex and Duplex in that order. In all my years of hunting around here I don’t think I’ve ever had the time to dial for elevation or wind. There are several ways you can use the holdover points, not just assuming the 300 or 400 marks are going to match your trajectory.

I agree. When does anyone actually have time to range the animal, switch hands to your rifle, dial your scope in, and then take the shot, all while the animal you're intending to shoot stands there and waits for all that?

Give me a 3-9 or 2-10 Leupy with good glass and without any special dials. Duplex reticle. Sight it in. Know what my bullet drop is. Don't shoot out past the calibers capable killing range. Keep it 6x for most situations. Aim anywhere in the kill zone. Done.

Those scopes with extra dials definitely serve a purpose, but not for most typical range hunters, IMO.

Last edited by Mach3; 01/07/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zeiss Diavari reticle 8 is very much like a #4 only with the top vertical crosshair portion thicker like the other three thicker crosshair sides. The thinner center crosshair section is good for detail shooting and those heavier outside portions do not disappear in low light. I've never had to hold high on any animal that I've shot, so those mil dots and cross hatches are of no value for where I hunt, but low light visibility is.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.