Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Been out long enough, how are they? Thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking for a new trap gun as my Browning auto and Marlin level rifle both froze solid last week at -28. Luckily I am a shïtty trapper and didn't have anything caught. I want a revolver with few moving parts and is easy to degrease so I looked at the Wrangler yesterday and wasn't too impressed with how it felt. I didn't shoot it though. I think I will be buying a single six instead, partly because of the mag cylinder (which I can actually find ammo for right now), but mainly for how much better they felt to me.

The Wrangler could be the Ruger American of revolvers though....cheap looking and feeling, but solid performing. I'd be interested in hearing what others say, who have actually used one.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that Ted. Got a couple single six's, bought the future son in law a wrangler for Christmas, just picked it up today.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have sold a ton of them and only one has come back. Its not a replacement for the quality of the single six, but a much better option then the Heritage rough riders, hawes, uberti stallions etc. Accuracy has been commensurate with a gun of this cost, probably better. Hope this helps. Ryan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have shot a couple Heritage guns.
Very impressed considering the price.
Accuracy and feel was much better than I expected.
Honestly, action felt was better than a Single Six as new.

Wouldn't buy one though. Durability would worry me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
It’s no single six , but a dam sight better than the other .22 SAs in the same price range. I’ve had mine about a year now. 7-800 rounds through it. Haven’t had any issues other than some brands of bullets tumble and go in the paper sideways. Cci standard velocity is the worse with thunderbolts being the most consistent. Go figure.

Anyways. It’s accurate enough for rats at the distance of a barn stall and they don’t care what way the bullet is facing when it hits them......I use rat shot mostly but have whopped a few with solids.

Hard to go wrong for 189$

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
postal and community credit union

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
We have sold a ton of them and only one has come back. Its not a replacement for the quality of the single six, but a much better option then the Heritage rough riders, hawes, uberti stallions etc. Accuracy has been commensurate with a gun of this cost, probably better. Hope this helps. Ryan

That's good to know.

I wouldn't touch a Rough Rider, nor a Uberti Stallion. I've seen 5-6 of them fail, some after just a few hundred rounds. The hammer cam got rounded and deformed on every one of them, from cheap metal/cheap manufacturing processes.

If the Wrangler came with a .22 Mag cylinder I'd seriously consider picking one up but I just don't feel like relying on a .22 LR for trapping right now with the idiot panic buyers.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had one and had to send it back to Ruger because the transfer bar was striking the base pin, driving it past the latch and tying up the gun. They deemed it non-reparable and sent a new one. The replacement rattled like a castanet it has so much endshake. Back it went and they sent another new one out. I haven’t messed with it yet, so I don’t know if it is good or bad. From what I hear, most folks have good luck with the Wrangler.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I paid 199 for the od green one, put hogue oversized grips on it, fun dang plinker for me and the boys. I'd rather have it than a heritage all day long.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I picked one up just because I'm a 22 revolver slut.

For 185 to 200 bucks it's a heck of a revolver, way nicer than the competition.

But a single six or a bearcat it ain't

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought 2 from KY Gun when they were $179. Most fun I've had in a long time. My son and I shot steel with them - reactive targets - to end up a few range sessions when we ran out of expensiver ammo. Well worth the money if you can get it under $200. And Ruger has some pretty nice leather holsters on their website store.

https://shopruger.com/Wrangler-Trip...lnut-Oil-4-5_8-Barrel/productinfo/50489/

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 257heaven; 01/06/21.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine shoots about 3" high, and 3" left, at 25 yards. Looking closely at the muzzle, there was a "whirl" of lead at the the 7 o'clock of the muzzle, so I re-cut the crown, but it didn't seem to help it much. It DOES shoot much closer to POA with SV or Subsonic ammo, or Shorts.
It's not a bad little wheelgun, but it sure doesn't match up well with my Single Six or my Smith 617 very well. I really like the light weight of it, though, and I can make it work by using the SV ammo, though I'd prefer to use HV ammo for killin' stuff. I guess I'll keep it around, I should send it back to Ruger, but I'm sick to death of being their QC department.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 01/06/21.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrangler is to handguns what McDonalds is to hamburgers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put some rounds through one this last summer. I thought it a heck of a little pistol for the money. Didn’t shoot for groups but had no problem knocking beer cans around at fairly short yardage. Out to maybe 20 yards or so. Didn’t shoot any further.

I should probably buy one. It’d be a better grouse gun than my LCR 22.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine is a very solid little revolver with a precise action. I did add a Wolff spring kit to lighten the hammer and trigger quite a bit. Mine is the grey model and shot about 4" low at 25 yards, but right on center for windage. A few strokes of a file applied to the front sight brought the POI up to zero. So far my groups at 25 yards with "cheap" plinking ammo have run around 2 to 2 1/2 inches, which is fine by me.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is everybody using for holsters with these?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
What is everybody using for holsters with these?

Nylon, padded, cheap and works good just like the Wrangler.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bought one of the OD green ones for 179 a few months ago to use as a beater trap line gun. It functions fine , but cant really comment on accuracy as most Ive done beyond the trapline is some beer cans at 15yds. Like it better than the Heritage I had but it wont replace my Single six convertible but filled a nice niche in my trapping gear.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Bushwacker

That's good to know.

I wouldn't touch a Rough Rider, nor a Uberti Stallion. I've seen 5-6 of them fail, some after just a few hundred rounds. The hammer cam got rounded and deformed on every one of them, from cheap metal/cheap manufacturing processes.

If the Wrangler came with a .22 Mag cylinder I'd seriously consider picking one up but I just don't feel like relying on a .22 LR for trapping right now with the idiot panic buyers.

If you feel like you need a 22 Mag Cylinder just go ahead and get a Single Six. Plus you have 3-4 choices of barrel lengths and adjustable sights. The Wrangler is about 1/3 the price of a single six or several other 22 revolvers (maybe less) and maybe 1/5 the price of a S&W. I certainly don't consider it apples to apples comparing it to higher end guns. It's just not meant to be. It's for the people who can't afford these other guns, or have a few kids that just want something to shoot. Don't over think this. Don't bother comparing . Get what you think you need.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.