Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I hunt 2-3 miles back in the National Forest. It’s a pain in the but to drag deer all the way out of there. Looking for suggestions on a system that will allow me to transport boned out venison when I get something that far back. Something that can serve as a day pack for extra layered clothes, gloves, drinks etc Most of the time, but something that could double as a pack for 50-60 lbs of boned out meat as well.
Also, any particular meat bags you recommend or like? Not planning for anything larger than deer so no need for elk sized stuff. Thanks for any feedback.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with an Eberlestock X2. It's a pretty good day pack and can carry a load, but I didn't care for it with loads over 50 pounds. I moved on to an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with Batwings. I like it just fine. It is a meat hauling son of a gun. I have packed 75-80 pounds comfortably with the F1. The last two years I've used the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18. I like it mo better overall as a true hunting day pack. The Pop Up makes for a better day pack than the Batwings on the F1. The Pop Up handles meat loads comfortably. I like the load lifters/adjusters better on the Mystery Ranch. I have packed 70-ish pounds with no issues.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the mystery Ranch Pop up 28 the last couple years and really like it for long day hunts and packing out deer. If you're patient and look for sales from places like Black Ovis, you can save quite a bit over the retail price.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mystery Ranch Popup 38 and Caribou game bags

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How stiff are the Pop Up frames? With respect to stiffness, how much different are they than wearing a full-blown frame pack às a day pack? I've been looking at the Pop Up as an alternative to wearing a load hauling frame all day, but wonder how much different they'd be.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I don't need the space of my Stone Glacier 5900 I've been using the Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45 for just what you've described and after 4 deer and 1/2 a bull elk I can say I'm pretty happy with it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
MR guidelight frame and a mule bag.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've used many packs over the years. What I've settled on, and use now, is a KUIU Ultra 5500. It's big enough to carry everything that I need and still has lots of extra room. It can be collapsed down to just a thin pack for hunting, then opened up to add all the boned out meat of a deer. The manufacturer claims that it will carry 150#. The biggest load that I have carried is an elk hind quarter, which doesn't weigh that much. Haven't hauled a moose hind quarter using that pack yet. But that might be close to 150#.

I've used rigid frame packs and I don't like that system because the rigid frame doesn't move with your body. People who have not hauled out a lot of critters seem to think that one needs a rigid frame for that effort. But once they have used both, they choose an internal frame strong enough to haul out a heavy load.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
How stiff are the Pop Up frames? With respect to stiffness, how much different are they than wearing a full-blown frame pack às a day pack? I've been looking at the Pop Up as an alternative to wearing a load hauling frame all day, but wonder how much different they'd be.

Compared to full-frame packs I have, the MR 28 is more flexible and moves with my torso much better when walking. Seems to just slip through the brush and trees easier with less fatigue for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoorsmans and add whatever bag you’d like.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Kifaru frame with cargo panel!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
From my experience. Stone glacier x-curve frame (add whatever bag you think would work for you) and caribou gear game bags.

Pitter Patter!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used to think game bags were all alike until I packed Caribou bags. Excellent.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Another vote for the MR Pop Up 28. Mine has been used for 3 years, day hunting and hauling boned out NE whitetails and Wyoming antelope and Muleys. Fantastic little pack. If you need something a bit larger, for more heavy weather late season clothes, or couple/three nights bivy, the Sawtooth 45 on the Guide Light MT frame is another great option.

As far as the game bags, I've been using the same Caribou Muley bags for 4 years now and they're still good as new. I expect they'll last at least 10 years or more. I throw them in the machine with a cap full of bleach to disinfect, air dry, and they're ready to go again.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
C

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the Eberlestock X2 for what you describe. I carry a full size spotter and tripod in the outer sleeves. It allows me to carry meat out on the first trip back to the truck. When I get back to the truck, I switch to a Kelty meat hauling pack frame for the rest.

The X2 is a little heavy, but fits well and I don’t mind the extra weight because of how well it rides.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have used the X2, including to pack out a whole boned out deer and for elk quarters, the old pop up 18 ( didn't get to carry a critter, but did try 80 lbs qwickcrete mix), a new pop up 28 (no critters yet) a stone glacier r3, mystery ranch pinter and sawtooth, and kuiu icon.

For what you are doing, especially in brushy forest, I think that the pop ups are it- I particularly found the 18 amazing in that unloaded, no frame part stuck up anywhere, it was unobstrusive, and you could crawl through and under blow down without getting hung up- yet it handles a reasonably big load pretty well when extended. Not as good IMHO as say a pinter on the guidelight frame or the stone glacier, but handles it well. Newer one has frame update, no 18 anymore. IMHO. I would recommend a pack with a full size frame if you were backpacking in, then day hunting...or maybe if elk was #1, vs deer. The thing with the x2 is no load lifters, makes a big difference to me, but I am old beat up, and also used it after having used better packs for big loads. I also did break it on my 3rd elk quarter load- popped a rivet. X2 is a decent day pack, not as good for heavy loads like meat imho- although for a 1st smaller load out, and then returning with a frame, it is ok. A couple of tge newer eberlestocks with the frames and detachable bags look ok, haven't tried them.

Last edited by JRK; 01/06/21. Reason: Added content
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JRK
I have used the X2, including to pack out a whole boned out deer and for elk quarters, the old pop up 18 ( didn't get to carry a critter, but did try 80 lbs qwickcrete mix), a new pop up 28 (no critters yet) a stone glacier r3, mystery ranch pinter and sawtooth, and kuiu icon.

For what you are doing, especially in brushy forest, I think that the pop ups are it- I particularly found the 18 amazing in that unloaded, no frame part stuck up anywhere, it was unobstrusive, and you could crawl through and under blow down without getting hung up- yet it handles a reasonably big load pretty well when extended. Not as good IMHO as say a pinter on the guidelight frame or the stone glacier, but handles it well. Newer one has frame update, no 18 anymore. IMHO. I would recommend a pack with a full size frame if you were backpacking in, then day hunting...or maybe if elk was #1, vs deer. The thing with the x2 is no load lifters, makes a big difference to me, but I am old beat up, and also used it after having used better packs for big loads. I also did break it on my 3rd elk quarter load- popped a rivet. X2 is a decent day pack, not as good for heavy loads like meat imho- although for a 1st smaller load out, and then returning with a frame, it is ok. A couple of tge newer eberlestocks with the frames and detachable bags look ok, haven't tried them.

Lots of good advice here. I use the old, no longer made Pop-Up 18 as my day hunting bag in SE AK, in some of the wettest and thickest conditions to be had. It is indeed unobtrusive and easy to maneuver in. I've hunted this country for nearly 20 years and have gone through a number of packs trying to find the right one, and the pop up is just the thing for still-hunting or an alpine day trip. I find it has just enough space for the things I need to carry, yet I can pack up to two deer with it. That being said, it's maxed out in both respects as my rain gear needs to be strapped to the outside and two meat bags with a deer apiece is the limit for both space and weight. I last used it to pack two deer a couple weeks ago and decided whatever the load was, it was about the most you could comfortably carry on that frame. When I got home, the pack weighed 78lbs. With my old MR Nice frame 6500, 78lbs is more comfortable to carry for long distances, but for the day hunt mission the pop up is much better. If I somehow lost the 18, I'd buy a 28 to replace it in a heartbeat.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
When I don't need the space of my Stone Glacier 5900 I've been using the Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45 for just what you've described and after 4 deer and 1/2 a bull elk I can say I'm pretty happy with it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's my entire PA whitetail boned out on my MR Sawtooth this year. That load shelf is the bomb. The meat is in a game bag and only went in the plastic garbage bag to save the bloody mess on my back and pack. It came out as soon as I got to the truck. Total pack weight was about 85 pounds with the head, meat and all the gear I took in minus the rifle.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.