Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dunno what RAR stocks are made of, but betting that sandpaper will get the better of it quickly. Plus, it's self-regulating. The paper side of a sheet of sandpaper shouldn't damage a rifle barrel, but if it does, it's an RAR. Just rattle-can it. If marking the barrel is really a concern, just remove the barreled action and substitute a wooden dowel of correct size and sand away.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The sandpaper method works but if you angle it at all leaves beveled edges on a stock which I do not like.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yup, and when the new stock gets there and one side rubs. on the barrel.you gonna go whine to them again or just use a 10 cent strip of sandpaper and fix the sob? Mb

snicker......

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JPro
The sandpaper strip does work. I'll often put a thin layer of tape on the barrel and keep the action screws a bit loose. The tape protects the bluing from the grit that will find its way behind the sandpaper, and the loose screws allow room to work.

Good info JPro......

simple solution...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you remove the stock you can scrape away the excess with a box cutter blade, I like that better than sandpaper on the Tupperware stocks.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just fill the cross hatch in the barrel channel with some epoxy and then sand to fit the barrel. Easy and works great to stiffen the front of the stock.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The sandpaper method works but if you angle it at all leaves beveled edges on a stock which I do not like.

Don't angle it at all.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All you have to do is put it in there and pull the sandpaper back and forth. Keep the ends parallel 3/4" apart straight above the barrel. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Just fill the cross hatch in the barrel channel with some epoxy and then sand to fit the barrel. Easy and works great to stiffen the front of the stock.

Thanks for the post. I've heard of guys using a product called Glaze Coat to fill in the webwork of some of those poly stocks to stiffen up the forearm portion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it shoots fine resting on sandbags or whatever the stock is sitting on why would bypods make a difference? Still has the same rifle sitting in the same stock resting on something that doesn’t really matter. 1MOA average is pretty good for factory rifle at that price which is what makes it appealing! If you have tinker with it and start bedding the stock and floating the barrel and trueing the action and lapping the lugs it’s not worth it

Wac em and stack em
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cut a length wise strip of sand paper about 1 1/4" wide. Slide it between the barrel and the stock with the grit side facing the stock of course. Pull it back and forth till you have the clearance you want. End of story
Mb
That is pretty much guaranteed to scratch the barrel finish.....ask me how I know.....Pulled sandpaper under Kreiger varmint weight barrel fitting it in a Remington factory stock. I did not have to remove much material and the barrel-stock space was pretty consistent when finished, but some grit got between the back of the sandpaper and the barrel which fixed the bead blasted SS barrel finish. Most of it was hidden by the stock, still..... Maybe some masking tape or electricians tape might save barrel finish.

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Cut a length wise strip of sand paper about 1 1/4" wide. Slide it between the barrel and the stock with the grit side facing the stock of course. Pull it back and forth till you have the clearance you want. End of story
Mb
That is pretty much guaranteed to scratch the barrel finish.....ask me how I know.....Pulled sandpaper under Kreiger varmint weight barrel fitting it in a Remington factory stock. I did not have to remove much material and the barrel-stock space was pretty consistent when finished, but some grit got between the back of the sandpaper and the barrel which fixed the bead blasted SS barrel finish. Most of it was hidden by the stock, still..... Maybe some masking tape or electricians tape might save barrel finish.

Great idea coming from experience. thanks

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
deep socket a touch bigger than the barrel wrapped in course grit sandpaper and go to work. helped my raps groups out quite a bit.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.