Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I see where your at. Me too. I tried to get my sons interested in gun collecting and finally I was told...Its your hobby dad, its not mine! Crushed, I have been selling them off a little at a time so it doesn't hurt as much. We are simply care takers for the next generation of Savage lovers. Sell them to someone who cares. Enjoy the money. Save the family the headache of trying to get rid of them. Win/ Win all around.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Hhmmm...."cognac and hookers in Paris", you say. You have such a lazer clear perspective of life, Gary. I don't need any of your guns, but I would truly treasure a post card.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sell them and use the money on guided hunts for moose, brown bear, caribou, wolf, cougar, etc. Or go to Afganistan, Mongolia, or Siberia and hunt there.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
By the time we old farts are thinking thoughts like this it's probably too late to be planning moose, elk, bear, and mongoose hunts.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sell them and use the money on guided hunts for moose, brown bear, caribou, wolf, cougar, etc. Or go to Afganistan, Mongolia, or Siberia and hunt there.

At 70yo?! LOL.
If you’re 70 with a big gun collection and kids that aren’t interested, maybe you should have taken time to take your kids hunting and fishing when they were young?!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I see you're in SW Pa. Why don't you bring them to the Pa. Rendezvous this summer. Spend a three day weekend shooting, eating , drinking (after the guns are put away) and BSing with like minded enthusiasts, and sell them to members of The 99 Club who would be more than happy and appreciative of the opportunity to rehome some of your treasures as their own.
this sounds good .

or pick the number of guns you want to keep , number the rest and pick that many collectors from here and give them away . maybe asking the recipiants to take a young person out hunting and help them get their first gun.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Afghanistan is the last place you find me ,,,,,,,,,,Paris and hookers ,,sounds good ,,but pass
Keep the best three and go kill something in a different state
We just had our First Elk hunt in Missouri ...A drawing ,for 5 tags ...4 to general public and one landowner tag to be used only on his or her personal property ...........all 5 tag out ,,The landowner was the last to punch his tag .....He;s 80 yrs young ,,,,,Good for him ,,,Dint think he would tag out but he did ,,,,Shot from his Back porch Tree stand up on top of hill

Attached Images
eeee.JPG (15.83 KB, 187 downloads)
Mr c elk.jpg (31.5 KB, 175 downloads)
Last edited by kdog; 01/06/21. Reason: added

Work hard ... play hard
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mike, I met you at that big auction in Punxsutawney a few years back. I’d like to see you again. The weekend in Noxen Is a blast. Bring a few this year and sell them. You’ll probably want to come back next year, sell a few more. If you have a rat, bring it and make it a door prize. You would never see someone so happy, over a rat, as the winner of that one. Before I go into panic mode, I’m going to see if any of the future grandkids take an interest. There are a few I’d like to see stay in the family, but if they don’t want them? In case I croak first, I may put it in my will to take them to Noxen, the host gets first choice, next arrival till they are gone, then ammo and what ever is left, and let the horse tradin begin.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I did take my kids, 4 sons and a daughter hunting and fishing and they all shot at least 1 deer, a couple of them several. College, marriage, jobs, kids, and moving out of state the interest is gone. I have 5 grandsons, all out of state, 7 granddaughters, 4 out of state, 2 in college, and one whose mother will not let her even shoot a bb gun. I remember that auction Joe and the prices the Amish paid lol. Thanks for the comments and I may act on some of them. I still like the idea of planting some of them.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

At 70yo?! LOL.
If you’re 70 with a big gun collection and kids that aren’t interested, maybe you should have taken time to take your kids hunting and fishing when they were young?!

That is the dumbest thing anybody has ever posted here. Why don't you go back to trolling in the hunters campfire and leave us alone?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm imagining the best we can do with our acquisitions, is inspire the next generation of Savage lovers, whether they're from our loins, our neighborhood or not. Having a rifle and a story to pass on makes us rich men!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
I"m in my mid 70's, have a modest collection of Savage rifles. I have what I feel are some very nice models and calibers. My problem is my kids ages 40-50 have no interest in them and would sell them for 50 cents on the dollar. I have many I haven't shot in years and probably won't. None of my friends are into Savages so I won't give any to them. I have a range in the back yard and shoot one or two occasionally, always the same ones. I get no satisfaction shooting alone and do it for the skill to shoot a deer, this year I shot a doe at a lazored 420 yards with a 308 DL- one shot. My question is should I sell them- I don't need the money- or let my kids get rid of them when I go to the big shooting range in the sky. I would like them to go to someone who would appreciate them for what they are and not to turn them over for a quick buck. The other option and I like it is to fire up the JD with the post hole digger, buy some schedule 80 plastic pipe, and vacuum seal bags and plant them 6 feet down and give someone a surprise when they develop my property. Thoughts?

Mike

Sell them for what you think they are worth while you have control of them and use the money for whatever moves you. That's the path that I'm starting down and the one that I can sincerely recommend to you.

A problem that I have found when giving guns away is that some of those people will come back and ask you to give more to them or to friends of theirs

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with what the others said - sell them to someone who will appreciate them. I'm in the same boat, 74, with health issues, and a wife who wants to move to a smaller house. I have a lot of rifles, all of which I like. The ones I didn't like went down the road. Now it's time for tough decisions before I can't make decisions for myself.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take them hunting, yes. but the brain washing from the school system, the news media and the entertainment media probably over rides what you tried to teach them.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm imagining the best we can do with our acquisitions, is inspire the next generation of Savage lovers, whether they're from our loins, our neighborhood or not. Having a rifle and a story to pass on makes us rich men!

And that, dear hearts, is one reason I put a Savage rifle into the hands of a deserving kid at Noxen last summer. We all have to do what we can to keep the flame alive in the next generation. This talk is giving me some new ideas...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you have any grand kids / nieces / nephews that would be interested ?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 99guy

At 70yo?! LOL.

That is the dumbest thing anybody has ever posted here. Why don't you go back to trolling in the hunters campfire and leave us alone?

The anti gun Fudd speaks!!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
To stoop to name calling betrays one's ignorance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by 99guy

At 70yo?! LOL.

The anti gun Fudd speaks!!!

Pardon me but who are you to come into this forum out of the blue and insult a repsected member?!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a modest 99 collection and a few bolt, my daughters would sell for 20 cents on the dollar, have given a good friend a 1899, a nephew also, a grandson is getting one this week, probably more when I die, but not 50 or 60, so I don't know what else. maybe someone to sell and give the proceeds to a deserving organization.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 70 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.