Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Internet research hasn’t helped me. What’s the difference? Thinking of trying the 155s in a 30-06 for deer.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your google foo is diminished grasshopper. From the Lapua website:

"The Scenar-L has the refined qualities of the original Scenar bullet with higher standards of jacket wall concentricity, weight variation and dimensional uniformity."

I've shot both and while I'm sure the attributes of the "L" would tend to make it more accurate, the plain old scenars are so accurate I couldn't tell a difference.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The difference in ballistic coefficients tells the story between the two versions. One has more empty jacket in the nose.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks I guess my google skills are lacking!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
........the plain old scenars are so accurate I couldn't tell a difference.

Yep. 155’s in my 308 print one hole groups quite consistently.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
how are these bullets on game. Do they explode like target bullets, similar to Amax and VLD, or do they hold together a bit more?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They seem to hold together pretty well. There's a thread somewhere titled "Deceased via Scenar." I think it's on the general big game forum but I couldn't find it. It goes back a few years, at least to 2015. Has many pages of photos of big game animals shot with scenars.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the 139gr and 136gr L on pronghorn and deer out of a 260 Rem. I can't tell a difference in on game performance or on a target. Nothing but good things to say about each. I'll likely not use a different bullet out of that rifle.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Oakster
how are these bullets on game. Do they explode like target bullets, similar to Amax and VLD, or do they hold together a bit more?

I have used the 155 Scenar on a bunch of elk and mule deer. They work quite well. Only once has one ever been recovered, and that was on a longer shot. My little .308 has a 20" barrel on it, and the bullet was caught in the offside hide.

I have never found any reason to switch to anything else in a .308. The 155 Scenar/Varget in a .308 simply works.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am switching from Ham-Bergers to Scenars. I think the original may be less frangible due to less air space in the nose but this is speculation. The original slightly more rounded ogive is closer to the Hybrid shoulder rather than an 8+ degree VLD ogive so I am hoping they are easier to find a good load for. This has been true with the Hybrid Hunters in my rifles.

Before I get flamed by the Berger Boys let me say I rarely shoot game past 400 yards, but I kill rocks out to 6-800 and like to practice with my hunting loads.

Last edited by DBoston; 01/04/21.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pointer
I've used the 139gr and 136gr L on pronghorn and deer out of a 260 Rem. I can't tell a difference in on game performance or on a target. Nothing but good things to say about each. I'll likely not use a different bullet out of that rifle.

My current WT Creed load is with 136L Scenars. I was wondering what difference you saw with them vs. the 139, which I also like. You noted not much difference regarding terminal performance. My Creed shoots sub half MOA with the 123 Scenar. I went with a slightly heavier bullet for WT's, just never killed one. Too many other projects. Maybe I should stick with the 123's. I had a bad experience with a 90 gr. Scenar at .240 Wby speeds turning a WT's chest to soup. At least the Creed isn't pushing these nearly that fast. That's the reason I was looking for a slightly heavier Scenar for the Creed.

My Swede seems to prefer 139's over a stiff load of MRP. It's more finicky than the Creed, but does shoot this load sub MOA.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My current WT Creed load is with 136L Scenars. I was wondering what difference you saw with them vs. the 139, which I also like. You noted not much difference regarding terminal performance. My Creed shoots sub half MOA with the 123 Scenar. I went with a slightly heavier bullet for WT's, just never killed one. Too many other projects. Maybe I should stick with the 123's.

I'd try the 123 on deer for sure. I haven't shot a lot of animals with it out of my .260 but it worked great on a sheep, a pronghorn and a deer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

My current WT Creed load is with 136L Scenars. I was wondering what difference you saw with them vs. the 139, which I also like. You noted not much difference regarding terminal performance. My Creed shoots sub half MOA with the 123 Scenar. I went with a slightly heavier bullet for WT's, just never killed one. Too many other projects. Maybe I should stick with the 123's.

I'd try the 123 on deer for sure. I haven't shot a lot of animals with it out of my .260 but it worked great on a sheep, a pronghorn and a deer.

Thanks for that info.

As well as this Creed shoots that bullet, that may definitely be an option.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for that info.

DF
I'd not be scared of the 123gr on deer with what I've saw out of the 139/136gr versions. I only tried the 136gr as I hadn't gotten my loading stuff set up after a move/remodel so bought some Berger ammo with the 136gr L (unfortunately now discontinued). It shot well and I've had complete penetration, except for one, and more than ample wound channels on deer/pronghorn from 347yds to 70yds. The one bullet I caught was a spine shot on a doe whitetail at 150yds. Found under offside hide after smashing through the spine. I'm happy with it even though my groups aren't as small as yours...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Thanks for that info.

DF
I'd not be scared of the 123gr on deer with what I've saw out of the 139/136gr versions. I only tried the 136gr as I hadn't gotten my loading stuff set up after a move/remodel so bought some Berger ammo with the 136gr L (unfortunately now discontinued). It shot well and I've had complete penetration, except for one, and more than ample wound channels on deer/pronghorn from 347yds to 70yds. The one bullet I caught was a spine shot on a doe whitetail at 150yds. Found under offside hide after smashing through the spine. I'm happy with it even though my groups aren't as small as yours...

Good info, thanks.

Well, it was just a 3 shot group.... blush

grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Thanks for that info.

DF

Good info, thanks.

grin

DF

But a nice Creed rifle. Shilen barrel, McWoody Mtn Rifle stock, pillared, bedded and free floated, NF SHV 3-10x42 in Talley LW's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could hunt that and it'd cover a whole lot of what I hunt. Very nice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I could hunt that and it'd cover a whole lot of what I hunt. Very nice.

Yeah, I really feel sorry for DF and those rifles he has to hunt with......
grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thanks for that info.

DF

Good info, thanks.

grin

DF

But a nice Creed rifle. Shilen barrel, McWoody Mtn Rifle stock, pillared, bedded and free floated, NF SHV 3-10x42 in Talley LW's.

About ready to put together the same blueprint for my daughter. What contour on the barrel?

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 53 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.