Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 54 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
I have never been able to get all the way through one of your posts.

Ever.

I can, easily. He makes a good point.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Effective range is only one measure of a cartridge’s capability. I would argue that effective area is even more illuminating for comparison reasons as game can appear from any direction. Range is a linear measure while area is geometric.

Increasing the 2000fps range from 460 to 635 yards results in a 36% increase in linear range but an 85% increase in the area that can be covered. I often hunt elk in open sage country where game can and has come from virtually every angle. Even at my personal limit of 600 yards, my 300WM increases the area I can cover by 70%. That is not a “small amount” to me.

Your point of a 300WM having165yds more of range than a 30-06 based on velocity is valid. However, effective area would only come into play if you are shooting a Gatlin gun while spinning on a merry-go-round. I don't typically bring a merry-go-round along with me in the back country.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

Your point of a 300WM having165yds more of range than a 30-06 based on velocity is valid. However, effective area would only come into play if you are shooting a Gatlin gun while spinning on a merry-go-round. I don't typically bring a merry-go-round along with me in the back country.

I think his point is that there is 85% more area where a single elk might appear that you would have a good shot. One shot.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[quote

I think his point is that there is 85% more area where a single elk might appear that you would have a good shot. One shot.

Of course he is and his point is very valid, the area you have available for a shot is substantially larger. It's easy to understand, draw a circle around a coffee cup. Overlay that with a saucer, the area between the two circles is your added range. Makes perfect sense.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=SLM]I have never been able to get all the way through one of your posts.

Ever.

Not surprising.... from someone suffering from ADD! whistle memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
ADHD.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is there really an elk that you guys would shoot with a 300WM that you'd not shoot at with a 30-06?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Is there really an elk that you guys would shoot with a 300WM that you'd not shoot at with a 30-06?

400 yds bad angle?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes, the elk standing in the magic 165 yard window just outside the lethal reach of the 30-06. The same window that is well beyond the marksmanship ability of 99% of the people on the fire.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SLM
ADHD.

I only gave you credit for Attention Deficit Disorder, But, if you insist you may suffer from Hyperactivity as well! ! But, most certainly Attention Deficit! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/06/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by irfubar

400 yds bad angle?

I've done it farther than that with an '06. And a 270. More than a few times. I'm pretty sure they were all dead. Particularly after I enjoyed the backstraps. But I like G1 ballistic coefficients well above .5. Back to this old "shoot 'em with a magnum and ping pong balls" discussion again.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

You started it, and the answer is yes, a lot farther
[quote=irfubar][quote=HuntnShoot]Is there really an elk that you guys would shoot with a 300WM that you'd not shoot at with a 30-06?

I have done it a lot farther than that. In the early 1980's after killing numerous elk and deer with an 06, i moved up to the 300 WM. Several shots at 500 yds plus confirmed that decision. And yes I enjoyed the back straps also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Ever.
HAHA!!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JLH3
After my experience this season, I’m going with .300Wby. wink

Never a bad choice....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by elkmen1

You started it, and the answer is yes, a lot farther
[quote=irfubar][quote=HuntnShoot]Is there really an elk that you guys would shoot with a 300WM that you'd not shoot at with a 30-06?

I have done it a lot farther than that. In the early 1980's after killing numerous elk and deer with an 06, i moved up to the 300 WM. Several shots at 500 yds plus confirmed that decision. And yes I enjoyed the back straps also.

Cool. I appreciate it when guys make it nice and obvious that they are basically FOS. Keeps things simpler in the future.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arrows have been working well for me lately.....;)

Seriously, I've probably seen 200+ elk taken with just about every centerfire rifle under the sun, and my thoughts are, good shot placement is 99% of the end result. Pass on marginal shots regardless of the weapon.

Carry on.....I guess it is January....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're hunting elk in grizzly country you can't go wrong with the .375 H&H. I carry one for elk handloaded with 250 grain Hornady's. Great accuracy, decent range, minimal recoil with this bullet weight and a bracketed powder charge, limited meat spoilage most of the time and you're ready for any eventuality.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=scenarshooter]

Pass on marginal shots regardless of the weapon.

Easily stated by someone that lives in elk country. For those that have to pay large sums of money to hunt an elk, and may have limited time to make an elk hunt, perhaps only once in a lifetime ......should not be restricted to “Pass on marginal shots regardless of the weapon”! And, I’m not referring to a shot of low percentage chance of hitting the necessary bullet impact location. I’m referring to using a cartridge that will drive a bullet through the vitals .....now matter the entry angle!

A proper cartridge (somewhat larger caliber), using a bullet proven to be accurate, retain a high percentage of it’s weight should be a a primary consideration for those folks, as described above! memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Ever.

Not my problem.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Effective range is only one measure of a cartridge’s capability. I would argue that effective area is even more illuminating for comparison reasons as game can appear from any direction. Range is a linear measure while area is geometric.

Increasing the 2000fps range from 460 to 635 yards results in a 36% increase in linear range but an 85% increase in the area that can be covered. I often hunt elk in open sage country where game can and has come from virtually every angle. Even at my personal limit of 600 yards, my 300WM increases the area I can cover by 70%. That is not a “small amount” to me.

Effective Area works whether considering a full circle or just a segment thereof. The increase percentage is the same.

I don't hunt on a merry-go-round, but I have had game come in from virtually every angle when hunting open country. That includes antelope, mule deer and elk.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/08/21. Reason: punctuation

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 51 of 54 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.