Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great account JMan, my buddy used his Whelen on his. Said them bastards are wicked tough as far as absorbing a shot and acting like it is no big deal.

Can’t wait to give em a shot. The meat, as you said is worth the price of admission.

Semper Fi
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Grandad asked me years ago to load him a box of those new Barnes TSX bullets for his 30-06. He’d read in some magazines that they were just the ticket for elk and wanted to try them out. He was about 78 years old at the time so I bought a box of 168s and loaded him some up. But at the same time I had to chuckle a little, he’s always shot 165 boat tail factory stuff, first some old WW load, then Federal red box, then Winchester Ballistic silver tips. None of them are especially tough bullets, but all but one elk I ever saw him shoot died of a broken neck. The one he chest shot was a 2 year old heifer and close to 350-400 yards when he was 77. Probably doesn’t matter too much what you use if you can put it in the right spot every time.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great account JMan, my buddy used his Whelen on his. Said them bastards are wicked tough as far as absorbing a shot and acting like it is no big deal.

Can’t wait to give em a shot. The meat, as you said is worth the price of admission.

Ya he didn’t go out like no biitch!! 😂😂

Soaked up that 225 without a flinch. Suppose he went 50-75 yards. Nice thing about that open country is you can watch em, up here critters take a step or 2 they’re usually outta sight

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yours as well. They are one of my favorite animals to hunt.

Fortunate to be able to be involved in at least one a year most years. Will be on two this year.

They are a tough animal. Not particularly hard to kill IMO, but it can be a long day if you hit one bad.

Originally Posted by Judman
Nice bulls brother. I’d love to do it again

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Soaked up that 225 without a flinch. Suppose he went 50-75 yards. Nice thing about that open country is you can watch em, up here critters take a step or 2 they’re usually outta sight

Hopefully they say the same about us when we go JMan! Ha!!!

SLM, NM is a pretty danged cool place. The range and quality of animals is a darned treasure.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
My Grandad asked me years ago to load him a box of those new Barnes TSX bullets for his 30-06. He’d read in some magazines that they were just the ticket for elk and wanted to try them out. He was about 78 years old at the time so I bought a box of 168s and loaded him some up. But at the same time I had to chuckle a little, he’s always shot 165 boat tail factory stuff, first some old WW load, then Federal red box, then Winchester Ballistic silver tips. None of them are especially tough bullets, but all but one elk I ever saw him shoot died of a broken neck. The one he chest shot was a 2 year old heifer and close to 350-400 yards when he was 77. Probably doesn’t matter too much what you use if you can put it in the right spot every time.

I was 17 going on my first deer hunt with my saved and bought first rifle, a M70 7 Rem. Up till that point I’d used 140 Partitions and H870 and stuff just flopped. Well, I’d read that a moose Bullet should be heavier. Used those stupid original Barnes X’s and it was the worst thing i did. Made solid shots but those things were just too hard. Had it been the little magical 140 PT stuff would’ve been much easier.

Semper Fi
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

SLM, NM is a pretty danged cool place. The range and quality of animals is a darned treasure.

Haha no doubt!!

Ya New Mexico is a cool place, wish they weren’t so greedy with tags!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll never forget, first time I ever seen bars at a cash register. Rolled into soccoro, hit the super 8 got situated. Rolled in to grab some Copenhagen and wild turkey. Damn clerk was standing behind bars!! I said what the hell is this about?? Guy looks at me like I got 2 heads, he says, “mister, you see all the Mexicans and Indians around??” Haha 😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NM does have some neat stuff to hunt, berets. Like everywhere, it is getting tougher every year to draw though. Pretty sure I’ll get a desert sheep tag this year though.😀

Jud, I agree, New Mexico Council of Guides and Outfitters screwed residents as well as NR DIY hunters when the senate bill on tag allocations passed. I’d like to see the outfitter pool eliminated and a 85/15 split.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I train them to pose.

All that work with your pet goats has paid off....

IC B3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I remember years ago Ol George taulman and grizz Montoya were pressing the issue. It’s gettin tough everywhere anymore to get tags.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Haha no doubt!!

Ya New Mexico is a cool place, wish they weren’t so greedy with tags!!

I totally effed up two years ago. I put in for the dream hunts, figure I might as well try. Well I busted on the draw, then in December they called me 5-6 days before I’d need to be there to hunt that since I said I’d be available for other hunts, well, I should have just ditched work and went and Chased bulls in December. Mark that down as a dummy choice. I could’ve remade the money but I still don’t have one of them great big NM bulls.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hell yes, I knew them damn things would pay off some day.

Still not sure how you can make the sale and still have them damn things in the back?

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by SLM
I train them to pose.

All that work with your pet goats has paid off....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember years ago Ol George taulman and grizz Montoya were pressing the issue. It’s gettin tough everywhere anymore to get tags.

I’ll tell you what, Wyoming is really good to us NR’s and even a bit better to us Vets. I tip my hat to them Wyoming folks. They do alright by me and they manage their elk pretty danged well.

Just my opinion though.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I was 17 going on my first deer hunt with my saved and bought first rifle, a M70 7 Rem. Up till that point I’d used 140 Partitions and H870 and stuff just flopped. Well, I’d read that a moose Bullet should be heavier. Used those stupid original Barnes X’s and it was the worst thing i did. Made solid shots but those things were just too hard. Had it been the little magical 140 PT stuff would’ve been much easier.

I shot my first and biggest bull to date with one of the old smooth sided X bullets out of my 30/06, 180 over IMR4350. I poked him through the ribs as he stood on a nearly vertical canyon wall from 402 yards. He did the HiHo Silver gig, took one step forward behind a juniper and just stood there offering no shot, seemed like an eternity before he folded up and rolled down the mountain.

I was just a teenager and loaded with a Hodgdon manual blindly believing what it claimed for speed. My gun shot best with the starting load and having never heard of a chronograph I figured 2700 was fast enough. Used that load for years and piled up a boxcar’s worth of dead stuff. Got the opportunity to run some over a chrono one day and was surprised to see they averaged 2488! I had been using a long action 300 Savage and didn’t even know it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Beretzs, do you remember if that was for the depredation hunt on Bosque Del Apache and unit 18.

2 years ago they had some hunts down there and killed some great bulls. A 380 bull was killed off the refuge.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is a gentleman that sales hunts on here every year that is pretty proud to tell you he was instrumental in getting the 10% outfitter pool and dropping the NR pool to 6%.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I shot my first and biggest bull to date with one of the old smooth sided X bullets out of my 30/06, 180 over IMR4350. I poked him through the ribs as he stood on a nearly vertical canyon wall from 402 yards. He did the HiHo Silver gig, took one step forward behind a juniper and just stood there offering no shot, seemed like an eternity before he folded up and rolled down the mountain.

I was just a teenager and loaded with a Hodgdon manual blindly believing what it claimed for speed. My gun shot best with the starting load and having never heard of a chronograph I figured 2700 was fast enough. Used that load for years and piled up a boxcar’s worth of dead stuff. Got the opportunity to run some over a chrono one day and was surprised to see they averaged 2488! I had been using a long action 300 Savage and didn’t even know it.

That’s funny stuff buddy. Same for me and the 7 Mag. I think Speer said 3200 with 81-82 grains of H 870, but i still don’t know what it made for speed. Long time gone.

Originally Posted by SLM
Beretzs, do you remember if that was for the depredation hunt on Bosque Del Apache and unit 18.

2 years ago they had some hunts down there and killed some great bulls. A 380 bull was killed off the refuge.

It was some thing like that SLM. I honestly can’t remember but I’d pass out with a 380 bull grin

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Brad
Thing is, you just don't have enough experience to be nearly the loudest voice in the room... have you even killed an elk? Any elk?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but not all opinions are equal.

Nope. Just been on two brief elk hunts, due to work, and am making it my priority going forward.

My voice wasn't loud. I was just pointing out how some, but not all, successful hunters derogate people who use certain components, and claim that people who use them are retards. I've never criticized someone else's choice of bullet to make me seem important, which is some of what's going on.

You ever killed anything this big?:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ok, so you’ve never killed an elk (even though you post constantly on the elk forum loudly) have done a guided hunt in AK and posted the two dead critters from that trip ad infinitum.

Got it...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
There is a gentleman that sales hunts on here every year that is pretty proud to tell you he was instrumental in getting the 10% outfitter pool and dropping the NR pool to 6%.

That’s too bad. Getting harder and harder to get on them once in a lifetime sorta hunts for the regular guy.

Semper Fi
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.