Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a 541T sporter barrel that I wanted to love but couldn’t. I had it bedded and the trigger lightened up but it shot unsatisfactory for me. Talked to several gunsmiths and they said to add a second action screw and install pillars in the stock. I just cut my losses and sold it.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not unusual for the first couple of shots out of a clean barrel to be away from the point of aim. The reason for this is that cleaning removes the wax lube that coats the barrel from the lube on the ammo. The lube is there to prevent leading. It takes 3-5 shots for the lube on the bullet to fully coat a newly cleaned barrel and create a consistent bore condition. It's routine for .22 competitors to fire the first 5 shots off of the target frame before going to one's sighters or record target. However, these shots aren't off by much, but, enough to screw up a target in a BR competition. Once fouled/seasoned, this shouldn't happen. My 541 THB will throw the first couple shots whenever it cools down, whether it's fouled or not. Today, my first couple of shots with it were from a fouled but cold barrel. Like I said, some 541s do it, some don't. When I want to shoot squirrels or hunt with a .22, I use my Cooper 57M, 10/22 with a Feddersen barrel or my old Montgomery Ward/Mossberg 346 rifles. My 541 is strictly a range gun. If it was the best .22 I owned or could afford, I would maybe think about having it threaded and/or having the barrel replaced, but it's just not necessary. When I want that first shot to be on the money, I reach for something else. I never competed with the 541 at any level, or hunted with it. My son used it for Boy Scout shooting but shot foulers to warm up the barrel when he shot it (I had a 'smith put Lyman target sights on it). It now wears a Sightron 6X target scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned three 541T's and two 541S and three Kimber Classics - while that is not a large enough number to be truly representative I do have a bit of feel for both brands.

541T - You need to be careful what you are buying, some of them only had one action screw, and some on the later ones did not have an adjustable trigger.

Kimber 82 (KOO) - I had one that the trigger sear had not been properly hardened, it required constant attention because the sear would wear with use which was not a good thing because I was using it for smallbore Hunter class silhouette which requires a minimum 2 lb trigger pull.

I solved the problems on both of them by doing the same thing cooper57m did - I bought a Cooper 57M.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 541S that had been 'smithed by Brian Voelker for awhile. It was very accurate, but I really disliked the plastic magazines and let it go.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 541 THB has only the one action screw, as does my Mossberg & my 10/22. Neither the 10/22 or the Mossberg throws the first cold shot and obviously the 10/22 is not threaded. I'm thinking the problem has more to do with my 541's barrel. The fact that it shoots better when it's warmed up, leads me to believe there's some internal stress in the barrel that was not relieved.

260Remguy, I hear you about that plastic magazine. What were they thinking? Did they think shooters wouldn't pay $20-30-40 more for a metal magazine? A fellow named John Reed made up some metal mags that work great that he sold for $68. I bought two.That's what it was worth to me. BTW Brian has a great reputation for his work on these rifles and is respected in the rimfire benchrest community.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/10/21. Reason: clarification
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, I bought the metal magazines as well. The money folks wanted for the plastic was too much. Didn't like the 10 round plastic ones either.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover
I have owned three 541T's and two 541S and three Kimber Classics - while that is not a large enough number to be truly representative I do have a bit of feel for both brands.

541T - You need to be careful what you are buying, some of them only had one action screw, and some on the later ones did not have an adjustable trigger.

Kimber 82 (KOO) - I had one that the trigger sear had not been properly hardened, it required constant attention because the sear would wear with use which was not a good thing because I was using it for smallbore Hunter class silhouette which requires a minimum 2 lb trigger pull.

I solved the problems on both of them by doing the same thing cooper57m did - I bought a Cooper 57M.

drover

This is NOT helpful! 😆

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I added the second action screw to my 541S and it was a pretty easy upgrade and pretty cheap. I bought the second screw, which I believe is a 8-32 x 1 1/2" and a tap and you just take out the wood screw that is already existing and drill in the same place into the action with the tap drill bit. Cut the bolt to length so it doesn't intrude in the bolt channel and install it. Pretty easy and I did see a bit of added consistency once I was done. I think I found my second action screw kit on ebay, but they are also available on Brownells...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Rem 540xr ( target version of the sporterized 581/541T. Used to own a Kimber 82, but in 218 Bee (sngle shot, sold it to my woodchuck hunting buddy, and he loves it). I have a Win 310-a single shot ( "pre-Kimber" Kimber). Used to own a walnut stocked Rem 580 single shot. Accurate, but too light for my liking. Sold it.

The Kimber 82 218 Bee action had a feel of precision and tight tolerances. The 540xr action is nice ( single shot, two action mounting bolts, adjustable trigger), but the 9 interrupted lugs create a bit of "catch" when closing the bolt, and has a bit of rattle to it. The Rem 540 shoots great, but just has a different feel. I don't want to say "cheaper", but they are two different designs ( Kimber has a 90 degree bolt lift, and two big lugs ( handle and rear opposing lug). The Rem 540/581 has a 60 degree bolt lift and 9 smaller lugs (and milled " grooves" for them, giving more edges to catch on. Both are good. Neither are considered "Olympic" grade to seek a gold medal, but my Rem 540xr shoots almost as well as my old Anschutz 1411.

You may want to consider CZ 452 American or Varmint. VERY nice feeling action (glass smooth, tight tolerances, accurate), and mine shoots great ( 22 LR American version ). It is a pleasure to hold, shoot, and just work the action.

To the other posts mentioning the Winchester 320, I hear you, and agree with you about how nice they are. I have the single shot configuration, the Winchester 310. It was made by Jack Warne in Australia before Jack Warne created Kimber in the USA/Oregon It is well made and accurate (5/8" groups at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity), has a good trigger, and just feels nice when you hand!e it.

Never handled, shot or owned one, but I have read that the Kimber 82G did not live up to accuracy expectations It LOOKED accurate, with its heavier barrel and target-like stock, but it wasn't a nail driver. It was "OK accurate," but no where near what shooters hoped for- especially after hype and higher price. It did not deliver the accuracy goods. Can't remember if it was a chamber issue, or groove diameter issue-or both.

There is a lot of good reading over at rimfirecentral.com about various makes/models, pros/cons.

Other interesting, potentially accurate 22 bolt guns are: Win 69A sporter or 75 target (get a grooved receiver version for easy scope mounting), Walther medium barrel weight target rifles, Marlin 880sq (as in " squirrel"), Marlin 2000, Marlin 780 series (nice walnut stocked, accurate guns), BRNO #4, "Winchester"/Browning 52 sporter, Rem 510/511 sporters or 513 Matchmaster), Anschutz 64/54 (try to find a medium weight target barrel version ). Never handled a Cooper, but they are evidently very nice.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Buttstock has a MUCH broader perspective than I do but his suggestions about the CZ452 Varmint and Win 69A ring true for me. Both very good rifles capable of satisfying levels of accuracy.

IC B3

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buttstock

Other interesting, potentially accurate 22 bolt guns are: Win 69A ( get a grooved receiver version), Walther medium target rifles, Marlin 880sq ( as in " squirrel"), Marlin 2000, Marlin 780 series (nice walnut stocked, accurate guns), BRNO #4, Winchester 52 sporterized ( or Browning), Rem 510/511, Anschutz 64/54 (try to find a medium weight target barrel version ). Never handled a Cooper.

I appreciate the time you took to write all that up. Some things to think about...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just to throw something else into the mix take a look at the CZ457 sporter. I have not shot one but in handling it feels really good, the bolt operates as smoothly as my years old 452's, it has a fully adjustable trigger - if I were in the market for another sporter I would be taking a long look at one of those, I was impressed with the overall package.
I have had numerous CZ452's and the all shot well but they also required trigger mods, some bedding work, and the bolt handle can be problematic for low scope mounting, and of course now they are no longer available everyone is asking more for them then they sold for new.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is a really good thread with lots of experience speaking. Thanks to all who are contributing. I have a 541S who thinks its a 700 as it has gone off twice when I closed the bolt on a live round. Its due for a trip to the doctor to see what's up. Also have a Browning A-Bolt which is beautifully stocked and a Winchester 320. If you look at the 320 magazine, it looks just like a Kimber 82 rimfire mag.
Interestingly, those are all RH rifles and I'm a lefty. These rimfire are the only RH rifles I have. I'll also end up with a Ruger 77/22 just to complete the set of nice, full size, bolt action rifles.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.