Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by LJB

Your pristine 1969 Rem 700 on the other hand might require some serious modifications to make it field ready. It's pretty standard today to pillar bed the action into the stock, free float the barrel and sometimes upgrade the trigger. To really know if your rifle needs the mods it needs to be shot. It's been my experience that most rifles do. Others I'm sure have had different experiences. Mods/improvement such as these would make your rifle more field ready, but likely worth less in the open market.

I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation, but thought I'd mention a few of the potential "land mines" you might run into if you decide to shoot it, and especially if you decide to depend on it in the field.

I hope this helps you, at least a little bit, with your FWP. My hope is our children still have decades to worry about such things.

According to the advertisements of the time, it should be good to go. Of course, no way to really tell until I shoot it. Some of the highlights from the custom shop... "target rifle trigger pull, firing pin head satin chrome plated, hand fitted and finely hand checkered walnut stock with DuPont RK-W finish, hand-lapped and hand-bedded highly polished barrel (and they were button-rifled in this era), polished receiver and engine turned bolt."

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was about to say it's a Custom Shop rifle from another era. The bedding and trigger are extremely likely to be just fine.

If it were mine I'd push a few Ballistol laden patches and then a few dry patches through the bore just to make sure of no surprises in there. Check the fasteners for proper tightness, mount a scope and hit the range. I have a couple of proven 30-06 loads that I'd bring and it wouldn't surprise me if I saw 5 shot, MOA groups the first time out.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Shoot it, kill stuff and take lots of pictures of game with the rifle in them
One day down the road your heirs will look at them all and the memories of the trips will come flooding back to them.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How much does your truck cost that you drive out in the mud and brush to go hunting? Probably way more than that rifle. Yet, the truck gets used, worn out, and replaced.

Go make memories with it and leave a well used momento to your children.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just pretend it’s 1969 and you just bought the rifle New.

Are you going to use it?

Enjoy it!

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would be extremely surprised if that rifle wouldn’t get 3/4 groups with 59 grains of IMR 4350 with a 150 Partition, Accubond, or a Ballistic tip.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I would be extremely surprised if that rifle wouldn’t get 3/4 groups with 59 grains of IMR 4350 with a 150 Partition, Accubond, or a Ballistic tip.

Or 52 grains of IMR 4064.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just think how purty that rifle would look lying against a nice deer, elk, or bear you just shot in the pictures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Just pretend it’s 1969 and you just bought the rifle New.

Are you going to use it?

Enjoy it!

Yep , that's me pretend it's new and hunt it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $2500 I’d sell that so fast your head would spin.

Then go buy a handful of Model 70 classics.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Just my opinion but you can beat it up some in honest use, but you can't take away from the beauty of that stick of wood. As others have said it is a Custom Shop rifle and will likely shoot well if not great. It was meant to enjoy and you did acquire it as it made you happy. Just think how happy it will make you to actually use it and be able to pass it on with stories to go with it some day.

And it is a VERY NICE rifle.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
After deciding to keep and shoot it like it was 1969 I figured I would start wiping it down. I started with the action and the name. The Remington that is engraved on it looks classy to me, and crisp like new and the blue is nice. Looks black like most Custom shop guns I see. I am really happy with how it is cleaning up.

[Linked Image]

I start wiping down the other side and then something jumps out at me. They did the blues different between the receiver, lug and the barrel. Fortunately, I love it. It is pretty striking. I have only ever seen them in one solid color, but I am also not sure I have really seen another early custom 700 and this was pretty standard? The receiver looks black, the recoil lug is reddish and the barrel is a gorgeous blue.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shouldn't this be on the Remington forum?

Oh wait, nevermind.

LOL
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like the others would shoot it and enjoy the rifle that you’ve searched for over the years......life is way too short not too! I have yet to see a Remington Custom Shop rifle that wouldn’t shoot incredibly well.

As for the blueing being different between the barrel/receiver and the recoil lug - I’m betting that they are two different kinds of steel and/or heat treating is the difference all three of mine show the same difference you are seeing.

Good luck with a beautiful example of some American craftsmanship!

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 20 years ago I bought an FN Supreme that was in Excellent condition. It wasn’t sold as unfired, but if it had been, it wasn’t shot much. Those rifles have a beautiful FN logo on the crest of the receiver. It also had really nice wood with beautiful grain. It had never been drilled and tapped for a scope, and my eyes require a scope to hunt. I debated having it drilled and tapped for about a year and a half. I just couldn’t do it, so I sold it. I didn’t want to be the guy to put the holes in that logo.

Today, if I still had it, I’d drill and tap it and hunt on. Guns like that were built to hunt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Everyone needs a favorite rifle, I think you found yours....good luck its a beauty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot it and hunt with it. When you are dead and gone the next person will do as they please with it.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by hanco
I hunt out of stands so I carry my nice rifles out to hunt in a soft case, don’t jack them up that way.

Too funny. That's exactly what I do. My Mark V Deluxe gets transported to and from the blind in a soft side case. All my buddies make fun of me. Ha!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by msalm
IMO there isn’t a Remington 700 out there that has any true collector value. Some might be nicer than others, but they are all utilitarian hunting rifles. Now if it had some historical or famous hand engravings, or made for an influential historical figure maybe, but that rifle??? Shoot it and enjoy it. When your done with it, maybe it will have some honest use marks on it, but it will be a good, well cared for rifle that was used as intended.

Now if you aren’t going to enjoy using it, sell it to some sucker that thinks it’s exceptionally unique and charge them accordingly....then pick up something you will enjoy using. JMO.

I think there are absolutely folks who revere older 700s the way others look at older M70s.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Damn that is pretty. I can honestly say I have never seen a rifle I didn't want to shoot. ThaT gun deserves to be hunted. Scratches and dings can be repaired but the memories made while acquiring them last forever. Go forth and make meat with it.

This x100

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.