A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SKane
I've had one similar to this for what seems like forever:

Uncle Mikes Ammo wallet:

Another brand with more color options:

I've been using the Uncle Mikes ammo wallets for 35 years, carry it on my pack belt. 88451 is for S/A cartridges, 88331 "Magnum" is for 06 size and up.

The Cole Tac looks interesting, wonder if it's long enough for anything beyond a 308. Apparently the Chinese think we all hunt with AK-47's and make cartridge carriers that fit the 7.62x39 fine, not so much for L/A rounds......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rayporter
3 or 4 in the rifle and one in each front pocket. [3 is the limit allowed in the rifle] in my pack an mtm ammo wallet.

i cant see putting weight on the butt of a rifle i have worked at to make light weight, just dont seem right.

So they are lighter and more handy in your pack than on your rifle? And you like having lumps in your pockets?

Now, if we are talking changing the balance of the rifle, you may have a point. Or another poiint as the case may be.

Personal preferences are......well, personal. There is no "right" way. smile

Last edited by las; 01/10/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the buttstock holders.
I have one that is neoprene, I need to get more.

A couple in my left pocket.

Usually a an MTM slip box with some in my pack.

Way more than I would likely need.
Just how I like it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rayporter
3 or 4 in the rifle and one in each front pocket. [3 is the limit allowed in the rifle] in my pack an mtm ammo wallet.

i cant see putting weight on the butt of a rifle i have worked at to make light weight, just dont seem right.
Last thing I want is extra weight on my butt stock fuggin up the balance of my rifle and collecting snow/ice/stickers.. I carry a cloth shell holder with elastic loops in my jacket pocket.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Tried something different Got a nylon and velcro wallet cut the window flaps off. It keeps rounds quiet

Greater love has no one than this,that he lay down his life for his friends.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Windfall
In the rifle’s magazine. This year I asked myself how many times have I ever shot all five rounds in my rifle to shoot a deer? Never, and one and done gets it done most often. Sure there are more back in the truck or the cabin, just not rattling around in my pack or pocket.

I've said that before too, and it bit me eventually.

That's not to mention the few times I blew through a mag full of rounds shooting at stupid coyotes a few miles from the rig.

To the OP:
I throw a few extra rounds in an old cartridge wallet and keep it in my pack, but usually also put 2-3 in my bino harness just in case I get seperated from my pack.

It's easy to "Blow through" rounds, hunting coyotes! smile That said, I only ran out of ammo once - got 3 out of 4, one got up, I hit him again - another got up,so I hit her again.
Both shot oncoming with a 220 Swift (don't know how they came up - but they did) Cleaned out my pocket and had to go get more ammo for the Ruger #1 smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JPro

On DBM rifles, I carry an extra mag in my backpack. For all others, I have an Uncle Mikes cordura cartridge wallet that holds 6-10 rounds. I put the wallets or extra mags in the safe, next to the barrel of each rifle. When I grab a rifle, I grab the extra ammo to go in my backpack.

Ditto. Extra 3 round Ruger AICS or Curtis Custom mag for the detachable, cartridge wallet for everything else.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
They used to make these for rifle cartridges and I have one I always use:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014137328?pid=640356

But I don’t see one available now so in its absence these aren’t a bad option:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101381603?pid=154219

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
I always use a cartridge sleeve from a box of Federals

My favorite are the 8 rounders by Federal from the mid-late 90's 24pk boxes. I have a leather 5-rounder on my R-side back-pack hip-belt and one of the 8's in a small pocket on the hip belt on the L side. If shooting a belted-magnum, I use a Federal 5-rounder from the premium/safari ammo in the pocket, and 5 in the leather again.

We still-hunt, spot/stalk, and occasionally do "drives" of tree-rows, CRP, or cattails. I grew up having to learn to shoot game on the run, and I still do. Sometimes I (gasp!!) miss. Sometimes the hit isn't as good as one would hope and a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc) is necessary.

Fall of '19 while deer hunting we watched a pack of 7 coyotes hunting together. They were too far to shoot at nor did we have permission to hunt where we saw them, but, it's not at all uncommon to move slowly into the wind and bump a bedded coyote or 3, at which point I'll shoot at them w/whatever I happen to be carrying and be happy for a few extra rounds close at hand.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I'm out with a break action gun, I usually have one of these little felt pouches and 4 or 5 spare rounds for every barrel.
https://shop.waldkauz.net/patronenetui-bergstutzen.html
My magazine rifle and my newly aquired 71 both hold 5 rounds and I'm quite comfortable with that when I only foresee taking a single animal.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I keep a couple in my right front pocket. The rest are in a ziplock in my pack. I hate things on my belt while I'm wearing a pack, and I'm m nearly always carrying a pack.

Even if going light, I like to have 10 or so rounds with me, just in case....
Just in case there are wolves, just in case I'm invited to a rodeo, just in case something is wounded and moving away, just in case luck is on my side and there are multiple targets...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
I keep a couple in my right front pocket. The rest are in a ziplock in my pack. I hate things on my belt while I'm wearing a pack, and I'm m nearly always carrying a pack.

Even if going light, I like to have 10 or so rounds with me, just in case....
Just in case there are wolves, just in case I'm invited to a rodeo, just in case something is wounded and moving away, just in case luck is on my side and there are multiple targets...

+1

But instead of a Ziplock, I use a Kuiu, Kifaru, Uncle Mike's, or similar ammo wallet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle holds 4. One time in 17 seasons I needed a reload past that. And actually I really didn't NEED them, the moose was dead, but he didn't know it yet.

I just throw a few extra loose rounds in a small pocket in my pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cut apart a stock ammo holder and sewed it to the inside pocket of my blaze vest.

Note: once you see it, you can’t un-see it. Argh!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
I cut apart a stock ammo holder and sewed it to the inside pocket of my blaze vest.

Note: once you see it, you can’t un-see it. Argh!!!

[Linked Image]

Coolest pumpkin design ever grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you take a couple out of the middle, it looks more redneck. 🤣

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
I took some shears and cut a 10-rd Federal plastic cartridge holder in half.

That is how I carry spares.

S
S
Check out the Beartooth neoprene buttstock cartridge holders. Use them on several rifles. Don't seem to stretch out like the elastic ones. I keep a 10 round Federal plastic ammo holder full in my back pack to load the rifle and add a couple of rounds to the Beartooth holder. Haven't needed often, but better than walking around with an empty rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blairvt
Keep it simple. Fired cases in left pocket, extra shells in right

+1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cole-tac ammo wallet came today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Well made.

Holds 10, I’ll just put 5 in to keep it less bulky.

Made in USA. Card attached said sewn by Linda.

Thanks Linda!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.